Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1201 - 1220 of 1344 Posts

·
Rascal
11,906 Posts
No no no, there's a proper, management way to deal with that with the diplomacy and dignity required of such a situation...

"Please beware, the door has tendency to snap back quite quickly as you exit and it can really catch you out if you're not expecting it, and equally, it distracts those of us who still have a job here..."

·
CavWeb Hooker
7,756 Posts
When your not enjoying it , that’s the time to clear your desk out & go.
The Mrs told an employee last year , “ if you don’t like it here there’s the door & don’t slam it on your way out “
I don't enjoy a vast part of my job. I'm not sure that anyone can find it rewarding to tell people 'no' almost all of the time.

At no point have I thought 'well, that was an awkward one, I'll be clearing my desk and gone by the end of the day' and if one of the managers here suggested such, I'd be less than impressed.

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
No no no, there's a proper, management way to deal with that with the diplomacy and dignity required of such a situation...

"Please beware, the door has tendency to snap back quite quickly as you exit and it can really catch you out if you're not expecting it, and equally, it distracts those of us who still have a job here..."
Brilliant lol 😂 😂😂

·
Likes this.
10,761 Posts
I've had people walk out before, never to be seen again.
We've had people that haven't even turned up for their first day :LOL:

One of them was a new factory manager too, phoned up about 9:30 on the morning he was due to start at 9am to say he won't be joining now as he's had a better offer. Really professional!

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
I don't enjoy a vast part of my job. I'm not sure that anyone can find it rewarding to tell people 'no' almost all of the time.

At no point have I thought 'well, that was an awkward one, I'll be clearing my desk and gone by the end of the day' and if one of the managers here suggested such, I'd be less than impressed.
I was training a bloke up once who came highly recommended by the knitting manager his words were , “he’ll be better than you within in a week”
After 3 hours of shadowing me around the knitting room he disappeared for a while.
Next thing i spot is him walking down the stairs with his coat on , “where are you going ?” I asked.
“Home I’ve had enough , if Bob thinks I’m working at that pace for 8 hours & grabbing a cuppa whilst you work he can stick the job where the sun don’t shine”
Bob came out to ask how his selected protege was doing , “I don’t know he walked out an hour ago & won’t be back by the looks of things”

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
Is your Mrs that employee's manager?

Because if she is, I'm sorry, but that is a really shitty way to deal with someone who is unahppy at work.
You’d have said the same if you had been working with this woman.
She’d come from university & was constantly doing her own thing & not what the wife kept asking her to do , anyway a few weeks past & she was still thinking she could do what she wanted the wife pulled her into the office.
“Why can’t you follow basic instructions?”
Her reply , “ I’m more intelligent than you , i didn’t spend 4 years at university to be told what to do “
“well I’m your boss & if you don’t like that fact & don’t want to work here there’s the door”
She stormed out of the office , next day wife phoned her to come in , she came & the wife got HR to find her a less stressful job in another department , she stuck that 4 weeks & just left.

·
Rascal
11,906 Posts
We've had people that haven't even turned up for their first day :LOL:

One of them was a new factory manager too, phoned up about 9:30 on the morning he was due to start at 9am to say he won't be joining now as he's had a better offer. Really professional!
Had a few who haven't shown up for the basic training/induction, so we haven't really lost anything from them

More amusing was more than once, people came and started and decided within the first few hours that it wasn't the job for them, and this is on Day 1 where it is the whole "intro to the company/fire safety/fill out all the forms about your bank details" type of thing, somehow by then decided it wasn't for them and left. And then wanted paying for their time, before we'd even got all their pay details etc. They didn't get any money but the faff they kicked up for what would have equated to about £25 was ridiculous

·
11,997 Posts
Sounds like you're really enjoying your workplace...
I still enjoy the job, just not some of the dishonest muppets I work with.
Unfortunately muppetology seems to be a qualification for a lot of managers nowadays.

Submitted my application for the other job today with 30 minutes spare and it looks like I am the only applicant so watch this space, if I get it I will have to actually go into work to get paid instead of watching daytime TV.

·
Rascal
11,906 Posts
Is there anything good on Daytime TV though? I know when I had a day off a few months back when my daughter was ill, when she went to sleep and I could finally turn off Peppa Pig, I could watch some old Top Gear or any number of re=runs of house restoration,cooking or antique shows. Or Loose Women.

·
11,997 Posts
Never short of something to watch with Freeview Play and Sky.
I don't actually watch that much telly but like anything related to fixing stuff, the industrial revolution, how things are made or the ilk.

·
Premium Member
9,979 Posts
yeah a shitty way to deal with some one, what she should of said was,

"dont let the door hit you on the way out" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You both have it wrong, you say Dont let the door hit Ya where the good Lord split Ya

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,558 Posts
Started to clear out and strip the main bathroom today.

The house is 18 years old now (we bought it four and a bit years ago), and it's all looking a bit tired in there. The tile choice is a bit naff too. The chap before us bought the house new, and lived in it on his own, without a partner with taste,....to choose smart stuff from the builder's spec lists. He was a commercial property lawyer, who liked quite old fashioned stuff,...especially his dark/austere traditional furniture and desks and stuff.

The bath in there has hardly been used, so I'll keep that, but I'll fit a fresh new panel (this has yellowed a bit). The toilet has a crack in the cistern (which I've siliconed temporarily), so I'll get a newer/fresher toilet, and a sink and new shower doors,.......once I've re-tiled the whole place.

I will be using a plumber for some of the work, but I'll strip the room, tile/decorate/fit rails/mirrors etc.

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
Is there anything good on Daytime TV though? I know when I had a day off a few months back when my daughter was ill, when she went to sleep and I could finally turn off Peppa Pig, I could watch some old Top Gear or any number of re=runs of house restoration,cooking or antique shows. Or Loose Women.
Not since Jezza got took off the air lol 😃

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Spent the afternoon sorting out the aftermarket radio wiring my in my combo c van, the old cig lighter method that's widely used for live feed seems to be giving me issues on this van especially with radio interference and not supplying enough power for high volume, so decided to rework it, I now have the radio coming on from position 1 of the ignition key instead of position 2, there is one wire on the ignition barrel that gives 12v feed on position 1 but not strong enough to power a radio so used that wire to power a relay so I can use the chunky permanent live wire on the original radio loom, noe when I turn my key to position 1 it will flick the rely and use the original radio wiring live but now a switched lived, one issue I had was when I switched off the ignition the central locking would activate which was strange, so put a diode in on the ignition wire I took off the barrel which sorted the issue I think it was when the relay deactivated it was sending voltage or noise back up the ignition line, this van has some odd wiring, but all sorted now, dab and fm radio is clean and signal interference is gone, I chopped out the original iso connector and fitted a new one so if I want to change the radio over I can just plug it into the loom.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I thought the old trick was to switch the red and yellow wires on the Vauxhall head units
This van came with a cd30 in which has only one permanent live coming through the main radio loom, before if you wanted a switched live it was standard practice if fitting aftermarket heads to take a live off the cigy lighter and also use the radio loom permanent live for radio memory, but cigy lighter live only comes on in the corsa c and combo c at igntion 2 it's also a noisy line plays havoc with fm radio, it's not actually like the old cigy lighters where the old wiring was heavy duty it's more of a charger port now for lower powered stuff.

·
Rascal
11,906 Posts
Ah for full time mains, its been a while since I had to do either but I remember switching the wires over on iso plug in order to stop the clock from resetting every time you turned the car off, but I don't think it had full time power without ignition.

Seeing that mess of wires really takes me back though, been a while since I switched a head unit like that! The one in my Skoda was a much simpler affair when I had to replace it.

·
Premium Member
13,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,220
Started to clear out and strip the main bathroom today.

The house is 18 years old now (we bought it four and a bit years ago), and it's all looking a bit tired in there. The tile choice is a bit naff too. The chap before us bought the house new, and lived in it on his own, without a partner with taste,....to choose smart stuff from the builder's spec lists. He was a commercial property lawyer, who liked quite old fashioned stuff,...especially his dark/austere traditional furniture and desks and stuff.

The bath in there has hardly been used, so I'll keep that, but I'll fit a fresh new panel (this has yellowed a bit). The toilet has a crack in the cistern (which I've siliconed temporarily), so I'll get a newer/fresher toilet, and a sink and new shower doors,.......once I've re-tiled the whole place.

I will be using a plumber for some of the work, but I'll strip the room, tile/decorate/fit rails/mirrors etc.
A house doesn't stay looking new for long. Mine being around 48 years old now, it's had few refits along the years and we've extended it too.
We once bought a 2 bed semi from new, looked great for the first 5 years, then the work started. Although I'd choose a pre-lived in home anytime, against a new one. I found the general build quality on new homes to be poor. Although owning an older one is not always picnic either, as you can come across the bodge it jobs from previous owners too.
It's nice to modernise as you go along, as you gain jobs satisfaction if you do the job right. I tend to learn from my own previous mistakes and from others, as I go along.

1201 - 1220 of 1344 Posts