Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

761 - 780 of 3902 Posts

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
If you lack the skill and end up with a front wheel drive car in an over steer situation then it is probably too late for the new tyres on the rear to have any impact because you will already be in the hedge claiming "it just went so fast, there was nothing I could do".
OVERSTEER: When you go through the hedge backwards
UNDERSTEER: When you go through the hedge forwards

·
13,717 Posts
(y)

·
13,717 Posts
These are very, very nice.

Even nicer when they are reduced.

·
Super Moderator
26,857 Posts
Well life for the Astra gets interesting , on the way to the model railway show at Peterborough the Astra started smoking from the back end like when a Formula 1 engine goes bang & spits it’s parts out.
Anyway thought it a bit strange but as we got nearer it seemed to stop the swirling smoke.
On the way home i couldn’t get no hot air into the cabin so we all got frozen on the 54 mile journey home.
Got back & as i switched engine off i heard the cooling fans shut off as well , hmm cold day & need to take a look.
Popped open the bonnet to find the engine bay totally covered in coolant , what a mess !!!
Initial thoughts were head gasket as the coolant expansion bottle was empty & all around it covered in coolant , shut bonnet went in home.
Got up this morning & opened bonnet put all the ready mixed coolant I’d got left which wasn’t much & fired engine up.
All sounded ok & then i decided to make sure engine wasn’t damaged by revving it up , & bingo i had it , coolant spraying out from back of engine near to oil filter housing.
Neighbour put his head inside the engine & told me to rev her whilst he looked , coming from somewhere around those hose junctions like a water fountain each time the throttle is pressed.
So I’ll limp down the lads in morning & get her up on the ramps , hopefully no lasting damage to the engine.
My fault , i said , “ don’t won’t to see you lads till next February “ , should have kept my mouth shut lol :)

·
Super Moderator
26,857 Posts
I would have agreed with that as the conventional wisdom, brought out long before the modern cars with ABS and Electronic Stabilty Control systems.

The ABS will prevent any braked wheel from locking up in milliseconds. The wheel doesn’t even need to start skidding, the wheel speed sensors are sensitive enough to rapid deceleration to detect an incipient skid.

It’s like the old advice about cadence braking, not to hold the brake pedal down in an emergency stop but to pump it up and down to prevent the vehicle from skidding. With ABS, the advice now is to keep the pedal pressed and concentrate on steering the vehicle.

The ESC system monitors the steering angle sensor to gauge the input and knows how far the vehicle should be turning. The inertia reference sensor tells the ESC the actual rate of turn and, if it exceeds what is programmed, then the system will reduce engine power and/or apply differential braking force to correct the situation. So it’s all a whole lot different from the simple scenarios depicted.

If you drive within the vehicle limits I don’t think having your best tyres on the front will seriously disadvantage you. With FWD there’s times when you’d lose traction if the front tyres were worn so you’d actually be better off with the good ‘uns on the front.
Yeah but there’s the problem , ignoring safety advice on tyres because owners think they can’t have an accident because of a cars safety devices.
A bloke wrote his car off a few winters ago , “ didn’t think i could have an accident because my car has got ESC , TC , TVS , ABS etc etc “
My reply , “ didn’t work did it ? “
His reply , “ Err no , need to slow down more & work on my driving “ .

·
Super Moderator
26,857 Posts
(note to my self) another reason not to buy a car, without a temp gauge.

hope it aint caused nothing to bad (y) (everything crossed)
Well don’t think temperature gauge would have made a difference as engine was not hot to the touch when i felt it & no heat radiated from the engine , just the smell of hot coolant sprayed all over the engine etc.

Reactions: andy_v

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Just got back from Beamish, survived the nephews & nieces, just. Actually enjoyed the day really. Have a season ticket now, so will go back again, no doubt.
View attachment 87289
This early steam locomotive above was running, an Elephant locomotive replica, cost £333,000 to build back in 2001.
View attachment 87287 View attachment 87285
Songs of Praise on BBC TV came from Beamish today. Looks nice, wish it was closer to me and I'd go visit it.

·
13,717 Posts
Typically will be the elbow hose going to the oil cooler that has failed @Fred Bassett

·
13,717 Posts
Been out and soldered two small extension leads onto the wiring for the heated mirror on the driver's side. The replacement mirror has the terminals in a different place so my new leads fit easily and a nice hot mirror again.

Then it peed down so went to Sports Direct to buy some "genuinely" heavily discounted sportswear.

·
Premium Member
15,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #776 (Edited)
Songs of Praise on BBC TV came from Beamish today. Looks nice, wish it was closer to me and I'd go visit it.
I went on Saturday (Beamish Museum), as have a season ticket. Pay once, then you can visit as many times as you like over the year. It's about an hour's drive from my house.
Beamish it's self is a small village. I could recommend a really nice hotel in Beamish (Beamish Hall Hotel), they also do offers on that include your Beamish Museum day ticket from time to time. We've stayed there on a few occasions. They also do a 25% off Beamish Museum unlim ticket, just ask for one at reception when you arrive at the hotel.
It's around £19.50 for an normal adult yearly unlim pass, minus the discount. They also do a family pass too.
There's a lot of volunteers that works at Beamish too, I was speaking to a fella that took part in the restoration of a 1920's bus, only took 30 years to restore it from a burnt out chassis. As half of it was made from wood.
IMG_20191208_155401348~2.jpg

·
13,717 Posts
No, I had the two on the front side down below the thermostat fail but I checked the oil cooler elbow at the same time and it looks good. I check it every time I have the bulkhead removed because that's the best way to see it.
If you are really, really unlucky it may be the metal transfer pipe that wraps around the block from the front to the rear.

·
13,717 Posts
I replaced 6 and 24 in this diagram.

But as you see there are quite a few other pipes coming off the thermostat.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Been to the tip to dump 2 big backs of leaves from the tree in the garden, still a few more leaves about the garden, couldn't be pestered putting the bins out on Thursday night for Friday collection, so Saturday emptied black bin in to the big black bags (The bags are from Lidl Heavy Duty black bags about 3 1/2 ft long, only 99p on the weekend specials), then emptied the blue bin to the bags, came away from tip with 2 gas bottles a 19kg propane still has gas in it and a small blue Calor 7kg I think, ready for I get round to make a gas bottle burner.

761 - 780 of 3902 Posts