Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1040 Posts

·
11,755 Posts
We have a young man upstairs turning his stomach inside out after being out at a local fete for the afternoon.
One of life's lessons that we all learn, alcohol can be fun but not if you are a prat!

Guess who now is sleeping on his own tonight? :(

Best his mum keeps an eye on him.

·
Super Moderator
25,345 Posts
Booked my tickets to Snow Patrol at the Demontfort Hall leicester ( wife’s favourite band )
Booked my tickets to see Jack Whitehall at the Demontfort Hall leicester ( second time I’ve seen him )

·
Super Moderator
25,345 Posts
Wow you must really love DeMontfort Hall
Yes it’s a good place to go for entertainment , it’s owned by the leicester city council.
Set in grounds with parks around , inside the acoustics are good.
I saw The Smiths there on their uk tour in 1984 , the band only had 8 songs so they played them twice !!!!

·
11,755 Posts
:)Last week I took the tumble drier apart and found the seals had all but worn away and the support bearing pads had worn away. Was going to try and reinforce the bracket the pads clip into but we have had an amazing stroke of luck. Went to the local recycling centre earlier and I spot a virtually identical machine sat there. In the best traditions I send the girlfriend to bat her eyelids at the staff and see if we can have it. At first they say they can't let you have any electrical items in case they kill you when they are plugged in. So she tells him we will cut the plug off. He tells her that we could just put a plug back on. So I cut the complete lead off, she goes and shows him and one very manky tumble drier in the back seat of my car. Get it back and someone had already had the motor (we don't Ned that) but the drum is in near perfect condition, the door vent is better and most importantly the bearing pad support bracket is near perfect. Stripped all the electrical parts off it, kept all the screws and dumped the rest out the front for the scrappy who comes every few weeks.
Didn't have my pop riveter with me otherwise our Frankenstein machine will be back together.

Makes up for some bad luck she had yesterday when some scumbag knocked her mirror off when she was parked up by driving past too close. He even came back round to see what he had done but failed to stop! Reported it to the police and there is good CCTV covering the street. Hopefully he will get an unwelcome knock on the door and asked to explain why he left the scene of an accident. Luckily it just knocked the glass out, which is intact but one of the spring clips is missing. Going to have a look for it in a bit now the street should be empty of cars.

·
Super Moderator
25,345 Posts
054762E4-85C8-41B7-8231-A44B829FA056.jpeg
I have a regular customer i pick up from a small unit which houses a car performance tuning business in Mancetter ( Warwickshire )
The customer is the mother of the son who owns the business ( she does the books for him )
Anyway today outside the unit was a brand spanking new Porsche in that lovely Grey shade.
It was the sons new motor , his previous new Porsche ( a Macaan ) he kept for 6 months.
Their big sellers for Porsche & are in restricted supply at the moment the son told me , so when a Manchester Football players agent phoned up asking if he’d sell the Macaan to his client he agreed if they payed the price he wanted.
So with that sold he bought the Panamera tourismo sport.
He’ll keep this one 6 months then sell on because Porsche is using a points system to decide who can buy the latest model when it comes out , so basically he’s collecting points to get offered the Porsche he really wants next.
I had a good look round it as i do quite like these , maybe next time i pick his mum up i might get taken for spin out.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Today i sorced all the parts for the f23 gearbox conversion on my mk5 astra 2.0 turbo sri 200 :) wont be till next month i get time to fit it though

·
11,755 Posts
You know that feeling when something relatively simple goes horribly wrong?
Well I am feeling it at the moment having converted my working Surface RT tablet into scrap. :cry:

It was bought from eBay a while ago but I had a full refund because the seller forgot to mention that it had been blocked by Mickysoft due to an invalid key so you can use it, but are not able to change any settings.

Turns out it is relatively straightforward to reload the disk image from a USB key but you need to be able to hold the volume down key as you boot it up to start the recovery process. The volume down key didn't work so found one on eBay for just £7 and two videos on YouTube showing how it comes apart.

Got it apart no problem till it comes to the last two super tiny T4 screws and couldn't find my mobile phone repair kit until today when I remembered where I had put it.

Just in case unplugging and re-plugging the volume buttons might have fixed it I go to plug the tiny ribbon cable back in for the battery and can't slide it in correctly. Unlike the YouTube videos there is no catch and the cable is just held by friction in the slot so I keep trying and suddenly the socket assembly falls off the motherboard. Absolutely no chance of repairing it. :( :mad:

I've repaired hundreds of laptops, phones and Kindles using the same connector and never had this happen. :cry:

The Surface still works off the mains so it can still be sold for parts, so all is not lost but I'm so angry with myself for doing it, but it's done now.

Got to find a replacement now, I quite like the quirky nature of the Surface tablet, especially with the removable magnetic keyboard.

Things can only get better. (y)

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
2,998,488 Posts
Had some time to get on with my sister's driveway/extra parking space. Started laying the blocks,.....AND THEN GOT RAINED OFF YET AGAIN!! Bloody weather! God knows when it'll be dry enough for my rendering chap to do his thing, once I've finished building the walls. Wettest summer /autumn ever??

IMAG0345.jpg

·
CavWeb Hooker
7,736 Posts
Saw an RS4 Avant parked up over the road from work today. Given a mediocre lottery win, I'd be hard pushed to not have one of those beasts in my garage. They just look purposeful.

In other news, the sprog did his first day of school yesterday, he enjoyed it. I'm part of some facebook group chat with the parents of his class. It seems to be full of either over-sensitive parents, or parents who are trying to appear to be model parents.

·
2,998,488 Posts
Saw an RS4 Avant parked up over the road from work today. Given a mediocre lottery win, I'd be hard pushed to not have one of those beasts in my garage. They just look purposeful.

In other news, the sprog did his first day of school yesterday, he enjoyed it. I'm part of some facebook group chat with the parents of his class. It seems to be full of either over-sensitive parents, or parents who are trying to appear to be model parents.
B5 model? B7? :)

Always a massive step when the wee monkeys start school? ;-)

·
CavWeb Hooker
7,736 Posts
B5 by the looks of it. The arches are what do it for me. Just looks... proper.

My lad couldn't wait to go to school. Some of the kids were properly clingy. He couldn't wait to get rid of us.

·
Likes this.
10,690 Posts
facebook . It seems to be full of either over-sensitive parents, or parents who are trying to appear to be model parents.
Bit in Bold - Facebook is full of perfect people.

If you saw my ex's FB profile you'd think she was an amazing mum, when in actual fact she is so terrible that she has pushed her youngest daughter away to come and live with me and is currently working on our eldest, who will be 20 in November, to try and get her out the door too!

She even suggested that I became guarantor to Emily for her to rent her own 1 bed flat so she could "get her own place sooner because it's better for her......" :rolleyes:

·
CavWeb Hooker
7,736 Posts
Totally agree. Social media image comes before much with a lot of people. What did we do in the days before 'international stand in front of a door and have your photo taken' day?

And then there are those who openly post a message to someone to wish their small child a happy birthday. The child can't read it. Morons.

·
2,998,488 Posts
B5 by the looks of it. The arches are what do it for me. Just looks... proper.
This shape? :)

IMAG0322.jpg

This is an Imola Yellow one I borrowed off a mate for a weekend.

10931171_10153389801822922_2480564600772572352_n.jpg

·
CavWeb Hooker
7,736 Posts
I've changed my mind after the google search I did yesterday for B5 vs B7 RS4 Avant threw up some very new ones. It was this shape (and in this colour): https://www.pistonheads.com/features/ph-buying-guides/audi-rs4-b7--ph-buying-guide/28785

It's really sad of me, but the shape/space contrast from the rear arch to the door, it improves the stance immeasurably. It's the kind of car that my other half would think is 'just another Audi', but we all know it's not. Far more interesting/exciting on a day-to-day basis than a Ferrari. That said, if I had a Ferrari parked outside, I wouldn't be complaining too much.

·
CavWeb Hooker
7,736 Posts
Did my cycle commute last night with a bit of a change of route - just getting used to it before the commutes are dark. Bit less hilly and streetlights all the way, rather than some 60mph country lanes - I get a bit twitchy-bum in daylight, so I don't fancy those in autumn/winter. I've traded those lanes for a mile or so of cycling alongside a 70mph dual carriageway (on a footway/cyclepath).

Planning on cycling in 2/3 times per week during the winter, as long as it's not raining. Keeps the miles off the car and helps to counter the Friday chippy lunch.

41 - 60 of 1040 Posts