Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

4901 - 4920 of 5207 Posts

·
14,553 Posts
What are the black things in the packets?

Reactions: andy_v

·
Likes this.
11,440 Posts
What are the black things in the packets?
They are sponges that fit on the end to clean in the wheel nut area of the wheel. Two different sizes.

It also bends so you can clean the back of the spokes etc :) :-

wollywormit bendy.jpg

·
14,553 Posts
What are you using for the reflowing, a temperature controlled setup or just a hot air gun?

·
Premium Member
15,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,907
These guys have a reputation for not being cheap :LOL:

BUT - that is the only negative thing I've ever heard anyone say about them, and they've been going for absolutely years (30+ easily).

You ask anyone in Salisbury about them and you nearly always get "oh yeah, they're good - not cheap mind" ;)

I'm not bothered. I'm happy to pay a bit more to go to someone I can trust rather than try and save a few quid and get a load of hassle :)
It's the the old "pay for what you get", adage. Stick with what you know. Rather than take a gamble on one that you don't. Some of the dealers fixed price stuff is ok sometimes, especially on their cambelt changes. When you add the water pump, starts to get expensive. Found that with my Astra, so stuck it in to a trusted independent instead. Didn't save a massive amount either, but I trust them.

·
Registered
2003 Vauxhall Astra G 1.6 8v Active.
707 Posts
Walked out to my trusty old Astra, covered under ice and been resting for week. Apprehensive? Needlessly, she started first turn of the key. (y):) Good car. Turned over a bit slowly, so I think the battery is not A1, but the old girl started and ran like a dream.

Walk in the forest today, lovely. Flippin cold though at -3.5, lots of frost and frozen puddles. Very foggy too, so quite atmospheric.

Lots of traffic about. I think this is a 'LINO' - Lockdown in name only.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Today I've fitted track arms track rod ends top months and fitted vxr injectors to my astra turbo..

Well its stupid quick now once it stops spinning up front haha..the guy who had this ecu before said his made 310 bhp and the only mod i dont have that his car had is the main cat decat so in terms of power figures id say my clutch is almost spent 😀😀😀

·
Dammit...driving the world's most boring car
2,509 Posts
Just opened a letter from the health board that are providing my cancer treatment, making an appointment for a telephone consultation in October 2021. Getting in very early in my packed calender!
I had a phone consultation just before Christmas, when I was told that the scan I had in November seemed to show the treatment is working, and I will need another CAT scan in August 2021, so, fingers very firmly crossed.
All the best with this. Did a stint of surgery, chemo and radio waaaay back for some 'lumpage'...still here 27/28 years later, so living proof that it works! Take it easy, keep positive, trust yourself and use whatever support you have available. 😎

·
Dammit...driving the world's most boring car
2,509 Posts
Well, the MOT extension finally runs out on Tuesday...so give the old girl the once over today.
Knew there was a couple of minor blows at the joint between the (second) cats and main pipes. Enough to see some sooting and feel it pooting.
Can't go wrong with a bit of trusty Gun Gum, fibreglass wrap and a couple of stainless steel ties. Lasts about a year...

Bit of steaming up in a headlight...total PITA. Just turn them on for 5 minutes and it goes away for a few hours...£400 for a new casing...or nigh-on £800 for an imported complete unit. Sod that.

Air con...definitely got a leak somewhere. Lasts about 6 months before the pump won't kick in due to low pressure...top up and happy again.

Rear caliper sliders...been stuck solid for 3 years...still works fine, gives right results and should pass again (i hope).

Car barely uses the friction brakes anyway...90% of it is induction / magnetic braking. Only the last wee bit & hard on the pedal wears them!

Other than that...perfectly acceptable.

No emissions to worry about either as a hybrid...they have enough issues getting the engine to run (when YOU want it) to create a vacuum for the brake test...quirk of part time battery powered buggers.

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
29,008 Posts
Well its stupid quick now once it stops spinning up front haha..the guy who had this ecu before said his made 310 bhp and the only mod i dont have that his car had is the main cat decat
Was he running a K06 and EDS inlet etc then?

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
I can't remember what turbo the guy was running but in running a hybrid ko4 and I really need my turbo back 3" milltek back that's for sure..

Apparently power runs are non essential work atm and got told a big fat no for tomorrow :(

Was lookin forward to seeing what happens when the [email protected] hits the rollers 😁😁

I expected 2 runs before she dumped a rod anyway haha

Ordered a c20let clutch for it too so let the clutch slip commence

·
29,008 Posts
Just don't expect to run much more than a genuine 280-290 bhp on the stock K04 with stock inlet.

·
Premium Member
12,276 Posts
Donated blood today. Quite a smooth process really.
My brother does quite often, he said he went the other day and they have moved the place were he had to go to the Riverside stadium, Boro's football ground, he said a woman checked his temp on his forehead then when he went to the waiting room another bloke took his temp from his neck.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Just don't expect to run much more than a genuine 280-290 bhp on the stock K04 with stock inlet.
I'll be happy with 280 for sure.if instill have it in another years time then k06 is a definite

·
29,008 Posts
I'll be happy with 280 for sure.if instill have it in another years time then k06 is a definite
280-300 bhp is about right for an Astra H. Any more than that, and the extra wheel-spin starts getting annoying. I turned down a VXR that had the K06, EDS inlet etc (at huge expense), and was no faster on the road than my K04 car when I test-drove it. Made 312 bhp and 320 lb ft. Mine makes 289 bhp and 321 lb ft. Both Courtenay custom mapped.

Just not worth the extra expense. And you have to rev the K06/inlet cars harder to get the power (peak power is about 600 rpm higher up).

4901 - 4920 of 5207 Posts