Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

4501 - 4520 of 4544 Posts

·
14,114 Posts
Doesn't a funicular drive up a cogged centre rail and a cliff railway uses two counter balanced carriages?

·
Premium Member
15,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,504 (Edited)
Doesn't a funicular drive up a cogged centre rail and a cliff railway uses two counter balanced carriages?
The Saltburn funicular lift has two cars with water tanks, attached by steels ropes A winding wheel at the top operated by a person.
I'm no expert on this, but presumably it must be based on a counter balanced system. Ingenious yet simplistic in design.
I've been on it a few times within the past, when I was feeling too lazy to walk up the bank.

·
14,114 Posts
But then it is not a funicular.
Something like the Snowden mountain railway is a funicular because the engine drives on the toothed centre rail.

Reactions: Boroboy and andy_v

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
Reactions: Boroboy and andy_v

·
14,114 Posts
Looks that way then.
Apparently the Snowden railway is a rack railway, I always thought it had a different name. It's also the only rack railway in the country.

·
Super Moderator
27,022 Posts
A couple of my Black Friday purchases that arrived today.

The water flosser is basically a miniature jet wash for your teeth.
The miniature handheld vacuum from Hoover is a powerful beast , it’s direct impulse brushless motor spins at 95,000 rpm.
Ideal for a quick clean of the cars , very impressive suction power.
Buy direct from Hoover Uk & save over £30 on Amazon , Argos , Robert Dyas etc etc.
The wife bought this for Xmas

Where would Xmas be if it wasn’t for pulsing LED lights of various colours?
Booked the wife’s Mini Countryman in for a fast lap of Silverstone F1 race track , projected lap times are around 30 minutes lol 😂
It’s the Lapland Xmas driving experience , laser light show around the full circuit plus Santa’s sleigh.
Maximum speeds of 10 mph only , might get into 2nd gear then 😆
At least it’s Covid -19 safe , event runs through December but is booking up very fast , managed to get a Friday evening 21.30 hours slot.

·
Super Moderator
27,022 Posts
Fancy one of those water pick things is it any good?
They use the high pressure jet of water to clear off the plaque from around the teeth & gums which even a motorised toothbrush can’t remove.
People say how clean their teeth are after using one , so I’ll let you know lol 😆

·
14,114 Posts
Funicular meaning-
I was so disappointed in myself for getting that wrong I beat myself with a wet lettuce for 5 minutes.
Then I spent ages on Wikipedia reading all about the different versions of funicular railways including why some funicular railways aren't really funicular anymore.
Good stuff on Wikipedia.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
A couple of my Black Friday purchases that arrived today. View attachment 95316 View attachment 95317
The water flosser is basically a miniature jet wash for your teeth.
The miniature handheld vacuum from Hoover is a powerful beast , it’s direct impulse brushless motor spins at 95,000 rpm.
Ideal for a quick clean of the cars , very impressive suction power.
Buy direct from Hoover Uk & save over £30 on Amazon , Argos , Robert Dyas etc etc.
The wife bought this for Xmas View attachment 95318
Where would Xmas be if it wasn’t for pulsing LED lights of various colours?
Booked the wife’s Mini Countryman in for a fast lap of Silverstone F1 race track , projected lap times are around 30 minutes lol 😂
It’s the Lapland Xmas driving experience , laser light show around the full circuit plus Santa’s sleigh.
Maximum speeds of 10 mph only , might get into 2nd gear then 😆
At least it’s Covid -19 safe , event runs through December but is booking up very fast , managed to get a Friday evening 21.30 hours slot.
Black Friday isn't until November 27th, so for this year they may as well call it Black November, Amazon has said none of the price's will be cheaper than their Prime Day.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
They use the high pressure jet of water to clear off the plaque from around the teeth & gums which even a motorised toothbrush can’t remove.
People say how clean their teeth are after using one , so I’ll let you know lol 😆
You'll be able to get right in to them bits you miss when you clean them on your kitchen table.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
I was so disappointed in myself for getting that wrong I beat myself with a wet lettuce for 5 minutes.
Then I spent ages on Wikipedia reading all about the different versions of funicular railways including why some funicular railways aren't really funicular anymore.
Good stuff on Wikipedia.
Edit Wikipedia then, so you are right, think there's another one of these cable car things at Scarborough.

·
Premium Member
11,897 Posts
Vectra took a little bit longer than normal again this morning, so told neighbour I'll buy battery from him, I was tidying the garden behind the shed (but that's another story), so he brought it down to me, gave me the receipt he had paid £105 for it on the 23rd June and it comes with a 4 year Guarantee so it still has 3 1/2 years left on it, so I gave him the £50 he said I could have it for.

I'll fit it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
15,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,519
Good stuff on Wikipedia.
I hadn't previously read @Alan G H wikipeda post, but you can keep the lettuce:ROFLMAO:

·
Likes this.
11,302 Posts
Well it may come as a surprise to you all, but I cleaned the car at the weekend :ROFLMAO:

Gave it its final coat of Super Resin Polish and Extra Gloss Protection of the year along with a clean of the interior.

Took me about three hours on Saturday and another three on Sunday :)

When I'd finished, I said to Lisa "What do you think, look alright?"

Her reply. "It doesn't look any different, it's always clean!" :LOL:

20201122_145307.jpg
20201122_145320.jpg
20201122_145400.jpg
20201122_145422.jpg

4501 - 4520 of 4544 Posts