Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

3781 - 3800 of 3912 Posts

·
CavWeb Hooker
8,070 Posts
More branches lopped.

View attachment 94223

The wood is so hard it's knackered the chainsaw chain up and it needs resharpening. Got to cut the branches up to get them into some bags tomorrow.
I'm assuming that you've got a sharpener, but Aldi recently had a chainshaw sharpening tool for sale in the middle aisles.

·
13,725 Posts
I've got a sharpening file with a metal guide but not sure if it fits. Apparently these chainsaw attachments for strimmer use non standard chains.
I saw the sharpener in Aldi but I don't do enough cutting to justify buying one, unless they have one reduced in the clearance area.

·
CavWeb Hooker
8,070 Posts
Sprog dropped off at school today, got home and cut the grass. It was possibly a bit wet, but it needed doing. Hopefully not too many cuts left this year. The mower seemed to be bogging down every now and then - it'll get a service soon though.

·
13,725 Posts
Monkey puzzle tree "arms" now reduced to 4 big recycling bags ready for the tip.
Hard work, even with some long handled loppers.

·
Likes this.
11,156 Posts
Ordered a Chipex kit for the Leon yesterday. I've got a few stone chips on the bodywork, not loads, but being black with white primer they really notice. I was going to wait until the spring to do it, but night before last I got home and clearly wasn't paying attention as I backed onto my drive and parked a bit too close to the house and did this to the bottom of the door as I opened it and it caught the house before I could catch it!

20200916_181358.jpg

I figured it's a good one to experiment with the chipex kit on, as it's on the bottom of the door so won't really notice if I don't get it perfect on my first attempt :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Ordered a Chipex kit for the Leon yesterday. I've got a few stone chips on the bodywork, not loads, but being black with white primer they really notice. I was going to wait until the spring to do it, but night before last I got home and clearly wasn't paying attention as I backed onto my drive and parked a bit too close to the house and did this to the bottom of the door as I opened it and it caught the house before I could catch it!

View attachment 94231

I figured it's a good one to experiment with the chipex kit on, as it's on the bottom of the door so won't really notice if I don't get it perfect on my first attempt :)
Did something similar in the Astra, reverse parked into a space at the office and creased the bumper on the wall! Really need to fit the reverse sensors that iv had for 14 months!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Likes this.
11,156 Posts
Did something similar in the Astra, reverse parked into a space at the office and creased the bumper on the wall! Really need to fit the reverse sensors that iv had for 14 months!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Mondeo had quite a few scratches on the front bumper where myself and a colleague used to see who could park closest to the wall in our staff car park without hitting it :ROFLMAO: :unsure:

I won't be playing that game with the Leon.....

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
The doors on my Astra were getting chipped on the edges and looking tatty, I bought some of this & fitted it last autumn, it works well & is not too obtrusive on my silver car. It would be almost unseen on a black car.

·
Likes this.
11,156 Posts
The doors on my Astra were getting chipped on the edges and looking tatty, I bought some of this & fitted it last autumn, it works well & is not too obtrusive on my silver car. It would be almost unseen on a black car.
I'm so fussy though I can see that messing with the lines of the car and I think it would drive me mad!

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
I'm so fussy though I can see that messing with the lines of the car and I think it would drive me mad!
You don't know till you try it. I'm pleased with it on mine, don't have to worry about my wife ramming her door open against the wire fence on our drive anymore, or be quite so careful about opening the doors in car parks!

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Spent yesterday afternoon removing a broken wooden fence post in the front garden. I had forgotten that when I put it in many years ago (about 1980), I had done a good job of concreting it in. The timber was rotten inside the concrete, and, after much messing about, I got it all out without breaking the concrete. I cut the new post to the correct length, and managed to drive it through the concete without breaking it. Well pleased with that!
Then I changed three of the posts on the other side of the garden, these were easy because they were fitted into Metapost sockets, and had all gone rotten in the sockets.
Oh my poor aching back after all that!
Just a fence panel & about ten posts to change in the back garden fence next (next week, maybe).

·
Super Moderator
26,860 Posts
You don't know till you try it. I'm pleased with it on mine, don't have to worry about my wife ramming her door open against the wire fence on our drive anymore, or be quite so careful about opening the doors in car parks!
I use that flexible door protection with the glue inside , fits lovely & protects the doors.
Without it the car feels naked 😃

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
I've just got off the phone from my friend, who has a couple of 1950's MG TF's, which I've been helping him rebuild over the last couple of years.
He also has a 1986 BMW 320 Baur convertible, which had a lot of paintwork done about three years ago, and has been in storage ever since. I managed to get it going, and MOT tested back prior to the body work, and he's now lost his storage shed, so it's got to go.
We took a battery to the car on Monday, and it started with some fresh petrol (and a lot of brake cleaner into the air filter intake).
The clutch was stuck, but I managed to get it to free up, and he's got the MOT garage fetching it today for a new test. I'm just waiting for the phone call later tonight with the tale of woe!
Anyway, Pactical Classics magazine values it at £12,000 in concours condition, down to about £1700 as a project car. Just looked on eBay, and this one is on at £10,000. I know the private plate is worth lots, but not without an MOT.
Optimistic, or what!

·
13,725 Posts
I have a new laptop waiting for me in my office, along with a docking station to allow it all to be plugged in via a single USB C cable. Suppose I will actually have to start doing some work then, which is a bit of a nuisance when the weather is so nice.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
the Bauer convertibles have been going up in value for a while, I don’t think that’s too optimistic a price... there’s certainly an element of ‘BMW tax’ applied to them now though (why wasn’t there when I sold mine!)
Did you look at the pictures? It needs lots of work doing.
I've just had the phone call, my friends car failed the test, about 6 items, he's not too sure of what as yet. He's fetching it home tomorrow, so we will decide then whether to repair, or sell as is!

·
Premium Member
15,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,799

View attachment 94231

Yep same colour primer under red too, although I can live with a few chips. Reason I thought white would be a good colour for a car, never owned a white car as yet. If I had your chip on mine, where it was, I'd just touch it up with a regular touch up pen. I've never tried a chipex kit mind.

·
Super Moderator
26,860 Posts
Yep same colour primer under red too, although I can live with a few chips. Reason I thought white would be a good colour for a car, never owned a white car as yet. If I had your chip on mine, where it was, I'd just touch it up with a regular touch up pen. I've never tried a chipex kit mind.
That’s the problem when you don’t fit door protectors , i did think the Ford invention was rather good as it gave you the best of both worlds.
Door shut , no protector & Door open , protector comes out to save door from damage.

3781 - 3800 of 3912 Posts