Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

3321 - 3340 of 3490 Posts

·
Likes this.
11,105 Posts
the alternative role I’m still in the running for it but I’m uncertain. It would be a significant change of routine - I’d have to be on site every day, and that site is in central London. And so I’d have to get a £4500 season ticket and I’d already be earning £6k less...

But it’s a job...
Well I guess if you get it, at least it's something to kinda hopefully keep you afloat until you can find something better, so you don't have to rush into grabbing the first thing you're offered?

But I guess that's a fair chunk of dosh to be losing :(

·
Likes this.
11,105 Posts
Had to pop to chemists at lunchtime today to get daughter's prescriptions, so I took the bike instead of driving the car the 3 miles into town and back. So no car parking fees and another run where nothing fell off or broke :D :LOL:

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
Hopefully this is going to be my last for a while, drove to Loftus along the North East coast heading south, agreed to buy a large selection of Ryobi strimmers, 10 top halves, 3 or 4 bottom halves, a 4 stroke Ryobi strimmer, 4 engines , 2 extension poles and a hedge trimmer attachment, he want £70 offered him £50 and he accepted.

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
Update..... one of the strimmers is electric start but the battery is missing but starter motor is still attached, I can get replacement carbs for them for around £8 each, the 4 stroke looks in really good condition , all the engines have good compression, as the bloke said he cant understand why the place were he bought them had removed the Priming bulbs but never left them attached to the engine.

Below is the 4 stroke one.or 4 cycle as they call it.

·
13,368 Posts
I found a suitable carb for just less than £6 on eBay, but I just rebuild them for around £3.

·
13,368 Posts
I've gone through loads of those mini cutting disks and haven't found anywhere to get more at a sensible price.

·
Rascal
12,156 Posts
Loaded the car up with a load of junk for the tip yesterday but then when I got there the queue was easily a 90 minute wait. So I turned around and came home and unloaded it all again.

This morning we’ve seen the bin men and they have been more than happy to chuck it all in the back of the lorry for me instead despite it being about 2 bins worth extra of stuff, in exchange for me refilling their water bottles. This is going to save me a lot of tip runs I think, so I may make get them something a bit stronger for next time!

·
Likes this.
11,105 Posts
I think I'm catching the illness that Oberlisc and Koi are suffering from, although my addiction seems to currently be car cleaning products :LOL:

I've finally dragged myself kicking and screaming into the 21st century and will be moving away from a chamois to dry the car.

20200730_183214.jpg

And I didn't know which towel to get out of the Auto Finesse one or the Autoglym, so I bought both :oops:

And some Auto Finesse bug and grime remover as I've blown through the Autoglym Active Insect remover I bought just after I bought the Leon last month already!! :eek:

My Halfords Trade Card is going to wear out at this rate :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
14,145 Posts
I think I'm catching the illness that Oberlisc and Koi are suffering from, although my addiction seems to currently be car cleaning products :LOL:

I've finally dragged myself kicking and screaming into the 21st century and will be moving away from a chamois to dry the car.

View attachment 93379

And I didn't know which towel to get out of the Auto Finesse one or the Autoglym, so I bought both :oops:

And some Auto Finesse bug and grime remover as I've blown through the Autoglym Active Insect remover I bought just after I bought the Leon last month already!! :eek:

you be joining detailing world next :ROFLMAO:

·
Likes this.
11,105 Posts
you be joining detailing world next :ROFLMAO:
I do read the posts on detailingworld quite often. A lot of those guys are on a completely different level to me though :LOL:

I can't ever expect to keep my car like a lot of theirs though as it's my daily drive too.

·
CavWeb Hooker
8,020 Posts

View attachment 93379

I always use my waffle weave drying towel, but I have some microfibre cloths handy in case I drop the drying towel. Always worthwhile having a spare - especially with stuff like that. As the GF says (due to her dental training): "If it's on the floor, it is no more". I wouldn't apply the '5 second rule' to car cleaning stuff!

I do read the posts on detailingworld quite often. A lot of those guys are on a completely different level to me though :LOL:

I can't ever expect to keep my car like a lot of theirs though as it's my daily drive too.
My daily driver hasn't moved since last weekend. If we had a garage, I think I'd end up drifting back to detailing.

·
CavWeb Hooker
8,020 Posts
Well, you learn something new every day. When I send an email, I usually use ctrl+enter to send it, because I'm too lazy to use the mouse to click send. I just posted the above and hit ctrl+enter on auto-pilot and it posted the message. Every day is a school day.

·
Likes this.
11,105 Posts
*I always use my waffle weave drying towel, but I have some microfibre cloths handy in case I drop the drying towel. Always worthwhile having a spare - especially with stuff like that. As the GF says (due to her dental training): "If it's on the floor, it is no more". I wouldn't apply the '5 second rule' to car cleaning stuff!

*My daily driver hasn't moved since last weekend. If we had a garage, I think I'd end up drifting back to detailing.
I have a drawer full of microfibre cloths that I use for applying the Quick Detailer, glass cleaner, vinyl and rubber spray, wheel seal - but I've always stuck to genuine Chamois to dry a car and have always done so ever since I started driving 31 years ago!

Bought a replacement chamois to replace my ageing one last month when I bought the Leon, but it wasn't the usual brand I buy and is't as good quality (I've always made sure I've not skimped on the chamois and always paid a premium for a "good" one until now - bought a Simoniz one as it was on offer in Tesco!) so thought I'd try a different approach and gone for a drying towel instead. Will see how it goes at the weekend :)

Oh and yes, definitely agree the 5 second rule is out when it comes to dropping anything that's going to touch the car :LOL:

*I do find it strangely therapeutic cleaning a car properly. It's just not something you can do in a hurry if you want to do it properly. Now having a black car again I am going back to how I used to get with the Cavalier and the Vectra, and getting cross whenever there's any dust on it :D

The Mondeo, being grey, wasn't quite so bad for showing the dust as a black or dark green car!

·
Super Moderator
14,145 Posts
I have a drawer full of microfibre cloths that I use for applying the Quick Detailer, glass cleaner, vinyl and rubber spray, wheel seal - but I've always stuck to genuine Chamois to dry a car and have always done so ever since I started driving 31 years ago!

Bought a replacement chamois to replace my ageing one last month when I bought the Leon, but it wasn't the usual brand I buy and is't as good quality (I've always made sure I've not skimped on the chamois and always paid a premium for a "good" one until now - bought a Simoniz one as it was on offer in Tesco!) so thought I'd try a different approach and gone for a drying towel instead. Will see how it goes at the weekend :)

Oh and yes, definitely agree the 5 second rule is out when it comes to dropping anything that's going to touch the car :LOL:

*I do find it strangely therapeutic cleaning a car properly. It's just not something you can do in a hurry if you want to do it properly. Now having a black car again I am going back to how I used to get with the Cavalier and the Vectra, and getting cross whenever there's any dust on it :D

The Mondeo, being grey, wasn't quite so bad for showing the dust as a black or dark green car!

not used them, but a bloke on youtube below recommends them, among other good stuff to use.

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts

View attachment 93379

Looks like we might have to start a support group.

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
The Demon has appeared, I have found 2 more Lawnmowers in Middlesbrough in need of repair, one £15 and the other £20 but could possibly get that for £15 its a Honda with a couple of holes in the deck, but I am starting get the shakes and sweating, I must resist, I have 4 waiting to be finished off and sold on.

I have to go back to Loftus at some point the bloke messaged saying he found some extras he forgot to give me.

·
13,368 Posts
Just back from one of our local engineering stockists. Had to get some bolts to replace the crappy Philips screws that I had to mangle to get them off the Spark. Bought Somme Allen headed capscrews while I was there, which I needed for the strimmers. Very handy place, you can buy just one but if you want, typically for a token amount that goes in their Christmas box.

Unlike car detailing (unless you are charging other people) my small engine hobby can be quite profitable with some parts being silly cheap.

Reactions: oberlisc and andy_v
3321 - 3340 of 3490 Posts