Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

2941 - 2950 of 2950 Posts

·
13,068 Posts
Finished for today. Can't feel my hands any more from the vibration but pleased with what I have done.

This is tomorrow's project, to get down the other side of the pond.

Had a bit of a glitch half way through when the carburetor came loose. Luckily the bolts were still there. If it happens again I'll try some blue loctite.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Finished for today. Can't feel my hands any more from the vibration but pleased with what I have done.

View attachment 92959

View attachment 92960

View attachment 92961

This is tomorrow's project, to get down the other side of the pond.

View attachment 92962

Had a bit of a glitch half way through when the carburetor came loose. Luckily the bolts were still there. If it happens again I'll try some blue loctite.
get some goats, you can just sit back with a beer and watch.

·
13,068 Posts
We've had 3 goats over the years, all billys to keep the brambles down. We had two twin Togenbergs which are nice looking animals with a really nice nature. Then when we moved to Koi Castle we had a pygmy goat when we saved him from the curry pot. Little sod could walk up chain link fencing and was forever escaping, usually onto the railway line, but we always got him back with a few slices of bread.

This is him - Billy the Kid.

·
13,068 Posts
The green is down the bottom of the garden.

Cant see me doing too much tomorrow cos I've knackered my hands up and my arms are aching too.
Need a good night's sleep.

·
Likes this.
11,003 Posts
Got the bike ticking over nicely again, I think ! I guess I won't really know until I take it for a proper road test to really properly warm it up. I guess that's the trouble with 2 strokes, they are so bloody finicky! :LOL:

After replacing the other crank seal and putting back together, it still seemed to be a bit lean, in that the revs would hang at around 2,000rpm for a good while before dropping down and stalling (if they dropped at all!).

So, I took the carburettor off again, to check the choke plunger/cable and throttle cable to make sure they weren't twisted. All looked fine to me. Took the pilot jet out to make sure it wasn't blocked as that could obviously cause a lean condition at idle, that was absolutely fine.

Then noticed that the main jet was a 97.5 in this carb, which was a brand new genuine Suzuki part from Japan. The main jet size for my GP100 model is a 105. For other models it's 97.5 and I'm not really sure why there is even a difference if I'm honest as the engines/disc valves/carburettors are all exactly the same.

So, I swapped the new carb with my old original one, with the 105 main jet. I've replaced pretty much everything in this carb anyway last year when I was still trying to work out why it was bogging at half throttle, so it has brand new pilot jet, float needle, emulsion tube, needle and main jet.

Anyway, kicked it over, ran lovely, revs dropped as they should do back down to idle, although it still wouldn't idle very well. Didn't bother messing about with the idle/air screw or the throttle stop screw just yet as I needed my dad to come over to help re-adjust the oil pump.

There are markings on the oil pump and the carburettor that need to line up when the throttle is in a particular position to ensure that you are feeding the correct amount of 2 stroke oil in with the petrol (no need to premix the fuel), and we had to adjust this when I fitted the new carb last year. Anyway, he popped over yesterday evening and helped. The carb is on one side of the engine and oil pump on the other so it's a difficult job to do with just one person! The oil feed was slightly off, feeding in a bit too much oil. So that wouldn't have helped with the lean situation either!

Sooooo, with the oil feed correctly adjusted, it starts pretty much first kick every time now (was really difficult to start before the second crank seal was changed) and idles for quite a while at around 1,200 - 1,300 rpm. I'm happy with that. Just got to do a proper road test now to see whether all the issues have been resolved after replacing both crank seals :)

One more issue, I have a dodgy front indicator that flickers like a tw*t when the bike is revved. The other three blink as expected. It's an earthing issue, so got to work out the best way to sort this now without buying a new indicator (ie. on the cheap :LOL: ).

Getting there, slowly.......

2941 - 2950 of 2950 Posts