Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

2241 - 2260 of 2321 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,529 Posts
Got the strimmer head off by breaking the plastic away from the retaining bolt, which annoyingly was slack. Odd that it wouldn't budge even with 12" water pump pliers.
I was hoping to pull the bearing out but it turns out it is a bronze bush pressed into the end of the tube, so no chance of getting it out. Once the head was off though I could put a spanner on the mounting spindle and work it back and fore. Loads of release fluid (on offer in Aldi at the moment) till I could turn it. Then I chucked the cordless drill on it and whizzed it backwards and forwards until it is now spinning freely.
All ready to be reassembled but I cant get the throttle cable back through. It doesn't go in a straight line so I am going to cut a hole in the plastic housing so I can poke it round the obstruction.
Then I think I have a working strimmer.
I've never had a drive seize, Ive had the drive cable fall out when I dismantled one of them.

·
12,710 Posts
It was the bearing that was seized, the flexi cable was fine. Greased it all up and it took me 2 hours to thread the throttle cable back through because it takes a S shape path. In the end I drilled a hole in the body so I could guide it with a pick tool.
Only problem is the kill switch isn't working so I have to stop it by putting full choke on.

Sharpened my chain saw, which I have never used, then decided to climb a tree and cut 2 large branches off.
Half way through the second branch the chainsaw packs up on me! Had to finish it with a bow saw by hand.

·
Premium Member
10,529 Posts
It was the bearing that was seized, the flexi cable was fine. Greased it all up and it took me 2 hours to thread the throttle cable back through because it takes a S shape path. In the end I drilled a hole in the body so I could guide it with a pick tool.
Only problem is the kill switch isn't working so I have to stop it by putting full choke on.

Sharpened my chain saw, which I have never used, then decided to climb a tree and cut 2 large branches off.
Half way through the second branch the chainsaw packs up on me! Had to finish it with a bow saw by hand.
That's what had happened to my Hedgetrimmer had to stop it with the choke, but all sorted now, fixed it before mate borrowed it last week, one of the wires had come off the back of the switch.

So you have arms like Popeye now.

·
12,710 Posts
I might pop the engine off tomorrow to check the wiring connectors are still in place. I know one is fine because I can see it through some vents but the other one sits behind it and can't be seen easily.
The other odd thing about this one is the exhaust is only held to the engine by a wire clip which is spring loaded, no gasket. Well the spring popped off never to be seen again first time I used it so it is held on by some copper single core wire now and is holding fine.
At the moment I am feeling like I have been run over by a bus. Problem is as long as it is sunny every day I keep going out and doing things round the garden and with a garden as big as ours there is always something to do. I see the forecast is for fine weather for the rest of the week so no rest for me.

·
12,710 Posts
Just bought a brand new cutting deck for my ride on lawn tractor, which was the last one in stock. Will finally have the beastie back in use after being laid up for over 2 years. £225 but that is around 10% of what a new mower would cost us that is big enough to handle all the grass I have to cut.

·
Premium Member
10,529 Posts
I might pop the engine off tomorrow to check the wiring connectors are still in place. I know one is fine because I can see it through some vents but the other one sits behind it and can't be seen easily.
The other odd thing about this one is the exhaust is only held to the engine by a wire clip which is spring loaded, no gasket. Well the spring popped off never to be seen again first time I used it so it is held on by some copper single core wire now and is holding fine.
At the moment I am feeling like I have been run over by a bus. Problem is as long as it is sunny every day I keep going out and doing things round the garden and with a garden as big as ours there is always something to do. I see the forecast is for fine weather for the rest of the week so no rest for me.
Make sure the spark arrester (its in the exhaust ) is clean as well mate can cause a bit of back pressure when giving it the revs.

·
12,710 Posts
No spark arrester on this one. The other newer one has one but that was clear when I took it off. The oldest Kawasaki one doesn't have one either. This is the quietest strimmer I have used - well at least until the silencer spring popped off. Such a stupid design.

·
Likes this.
10,893 Posts
Mowed the lawn yesterday and also washed and polished Lisa's Stepway. I was going to do the Mondeo too, but by the time I'd finished Lisa's, the sun had creeped round the house and was all over the driveway so I decided there was no point. Nothing worse than trying to clean a car in direct sunlight, it's a nightmare having to constantly keep the damn thing wet, washing a panel at a time and rinsing the whole car after each panel! :LOL:

I'm not driving mine at the mo anyway, we're just using the Stepway as all our driving is local. And I've got a week off work next week so it'll give me something to do next week :)

Still, the Stepway scrubbed up OK for a six year old "budget" car I think.....

20200517_131503.jpg

·
CavWeb Hooker
7,910 Posts
I've got some site stuff to do this afternoon for work. That'll make a pleasant change to get out of the house for a bit.

At the weekend, I managed some bike miles. I noticed a few people on Strava have been cycling in pairs. I think they're stretching the guidance a bit. But yesterday, I didn't see anyone that didn't appear to live in the same house - mainly solo riders or couples.

And today, I weighed in - I'm almost on 4 stone lost since mid-January, so I'm pretty pleased with that.

·
12,710 Posts
Amazingly when I was down the garden playing with the dog I felt something under my foot, looked down and found this.

20200518_155756.jpg
20200518_155720.jpg

It is the spring that holds the exhaust onto my strimmer that popped off yesterday. It was a good 40 feet minimum from where the engine suddenly became really noisy so has obviously pinged off with some force.
Actually looks like one end broke off.
At least I can get it back on now.

·
Premium Member
14,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,257
And today, I weighed in - I'm almost on 4 stone lost since mid-January, so I'm pretty pleased with that.
Well done. I've lost a stone in around 10 weeks, just by cutting out the goodies. Although I've put on around 1/2 of that within 3 weeks, due to having a break:ROFLMAO:The stresses of work etc. I'll cut back again soon.

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,731 Posts
Took my wife to the hospital today, had to sit in the car whilst she went in

delighted to formally announce that we are expecting our second child in November!
Boom!! Your chap still works :cool::cool:

Hope it all goes super-smoothly for you lot :) Birthing plan? Princess Royal?

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,731 Posts
Cheers. I've been eating bacon and cheese and still losing weight. Amazing!
All good. Nowt wrong with bacon and cheese,....now that we know these days that sugar is the enemy. I'm still in the habit of trimming the fat off my bacon before I cook it though.

·
Rascal
12,040 Posts
Boom!! Your chap still works :cool::cool:

Hope it all goes super-smoothly for you lot :) Birthing plan? Princess Royal?
tbh, the morning sickness is pretty severe this time around, which is rubbish for my wife as she’s barely been able to get out of bed the last few weeks.

Going to be Royal Surrey in Guildford this time, it’s only a few minutes further than east Surrey and my cousin’s wife is a midwife there. Princess royal was an option but they’ve got a much smaller unit.

2241 - 2260 of 2321 Posts