Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people. Long time no post.

I am in a bit of a sticky place and would like your advice please about my W reg (2000) 1.8 16v LS Z18XE Vectra.:cry:

My air con compressor has just packed up and is making a horrendous noise when I switch on the air con, to be honest it sounds like trolls have got in the engine and started digging for oil in there when its switched on.:down:

At first I thought the compressor had just come lose a needed the bolts retightening but alas it doesn’t and it finally needs replacing. Would you bother to replace it? I can get hold of a Valeo compressor for £396.75 including delivery but the car is only worth £800 max.

It is still driveable as the compressor is freewheeling fine and the bearings inside are supposedly fine and will be for how long is any bodies guess. Now would you bother getting the part and getting it fitted or would you just live with no air conditioning and open your windows. I am toying with the idea of getting it done so when I come to part ex it at the end of the year it is working and another tick in the box for my car. I have a feeling the price of fitting and regassing will be about £150 all in so in all it would cost just over half the value of the car. Apart from this the car runs perfectly except for a couple of niggles like the window runners and ciggie lighter keeps blowing fuses but overall it is in decent condition so I might not even part ex as yet, as long as it is still running ok. :shake

What would you do? Would you get it fixed or would you just not bother and hope it carries on freewheeling until you part ex it?

Your thoughts please

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Personally I would bypass it completely. Air Con is more hassle than its worth. Only useful when its really hot (yeah right ... in THIS country!) If you have it on it eats through fuel and shags your performance. For everyday driving you might as well use the normal heater to keep things the temp as you want it ....

Ok I will stop now. Just not a fan of aircon. In fact I removed the entire system off my nissan as it was an extra 20 Kilo's of pipes and compressor that I never used.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I bought a tt toyota didnt test aircon 4 months later found it was not working £500 to fix on £2.5k car. Id never aircon so lived without it. When I sold car it made no difference to the price I got for it.

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
air con can be used all the year round,very usefull on a frosty day as it does help clear the screen quicker,also having a working aircon does help sell a car quicker,what you need to look at is how long do you intend to keep the car? if it is less than a year then either dont bother or get a second hand compressor,if you intend to keep the car a few years then go for a new unit as at least you know it will last,have you tried a vauxhall dealer as they were doing recon units at a reasonable price in some cases

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
I'm a big fan of working Aircon too I'm afraid - got used to it on the Senny, then the Omega and now on the Vectra. Once you get used to having it working properly - windows clearing quickly... low cabin moisture all year round... lovely and cool on the odd hot day... you really miss it when you've not got it.

How about your local scrappy ? They're bound to have a good selection of rear-enders for you to scavenge a compressor from.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Scrappy is a good idea to be honest. They are not known for going wrong and if you just want to get it going then could save you a bundle. Swap tthem over and get it recharged. Or just remove the entire lot :D

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i thought about the scrappy but would all the gas be removed from the cars already. you know how anal some of these places can be about things like that.

there was/is one on ebay for £35 and £18 delivery but it was off a Vectra C, would they be one and the same? does anyone know?

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
A quick search for a new compressor and the 3 sites I looked at all showed a different original and replacement part number between Vectra B and C.
As you probably saw, there's a couple of Vectra B compressors on fleabay ..... Item 390015422164 is shown as off a Y reg 1.8 ... only £30 all in and shown as tested too! Be quick would be my advice!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just had a look at this Compressor and now wonder would it make that much difference if my engine is a Z18XE?

can anyone enlighten me on the difference please?

Edit: just been out and checked the engine in the car and on it it says Z/X18XE.

does this mean a lot of bits are interchangable between the two? or is mine an X18XE and im a numpty

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
A quick search seems to indicate the X18XE and Z18XE and quite different engines - an obvious change apparently is the plug leads on the X being replaced with a 'coil bar' on the Z.

However... according to the Delphi catalogue, the aircon compressor is the same replacement part on a Vectra B 1.8i 16v RHD anywhere from 1995 to 2002 regardless.

(Replacement compressor is the same item on Vectra B 1.6i, 1.8i, 2.0i, 2.0Di, 2.0 DTi and 2.2i 97/98)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cheers for that andy

that is what i wanted to hear. i have emailed teh seller anyway and if they say it will fit and it doesnt its them that lose out. better to make sure first!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i know there is a credit crunch but i like my air con and so does my dog (a labradoodle that gets very hot in summer) if i can get the one off ebay and maybe fit it myself it will cost a total of about £130 (part and regassing).

does anybody know if they are easy to fit? how hard is it to get to? i dont have access to a ramp but i do have access to a large/tall trolley jack and axle stands (hgv type)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.