Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today I decided, despite being full of a stinking cold, to finally do the cv boot on the cav, have known it needed doing for a few weeks but haven't had time. I thought it would be straightforward! I started at about 1.30pm

So, off comes the wheel. Out comes my socket set. Hmmm, 30mm, yep got one of them, sweet. Its a bit shallow, but should be OK.

So I shove a screwdriver through one of the wheelnut holes, and start trying to get the hub nut off.

About an hour of swearing and two snapped screwdrivers later, I finally realise that the socket is not long enough, and I better get a longer one before I round off the end of the nut. Only place that might have one thats within walking distance is Motorworld, so off I go. Yep they have one, and it is priced £12.99!!!!!:eh Had to buy it.

Back to the car, rammed in a nice strong screwdriver, stick my new socket on the breaker bar and hey presto, nut is off WOOOHOOO!:bananasmi

Right, undo the anti roll bar link, and it snaps!:grrr Its now about 4pm on a saturday, where the funk am I going to get one of them? So I called the missus to give me a lift to the factors, but it was closed. So tried halfords, but they dont stock them. ******, I thought. No winking man meet for me tomorrow.:shame:

As a last ditch effort, I tried the local small car accessory/parts place. And they had one! Couldn't believe it, so I rushed home to finish the job before dark.

Old boot cut off, new stretch boot on, new anti roll bar link on, ball joint re-attached, go to put the hub nut back on and the thread on the driveshaft is bent. Must have been when I hit it to get the hub off.:cry:

Bugger, now I need to go buy a thread cutter first thing in the morning, to sort that out so I can finish the job and peeps are arriving at mine to start the convoy at 10.30am

Sometimes I just think, why don't I just buy a newer car? I'm only just starting to get some feeling back in my fingers, I'm covered in grease/oil/shite and the car is still in bits on the drive.:rolleyes:

Sorry just had to get that off my chest!

·
VxON's Lil Devil
340 Posts
I cant believe how expensive motorworld is... there is one right round the corner frmo us and my dad popped in to get a halogen bulb ....£17.99 or similar.... crazy money :(

Hope you get everything sorted :)

·
Banned
14,579 Posts
I did the same with a mates car using a hammer

All i did was line the nut up square, get 30mm socket on a handle and push whilst turning ensuring its kept square on and it will recut the damaged thread

·
Banned
14,579 Posts
Oh and bring that wheel puller if you decide to come tomorrow :lmao:

Im sure the other convoyers will help you out

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Wonderful jobs aren't they- hope you manage to sort it for tomorrow Hopper

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
You better turn up tomorrow, no excuses :lmao:

I know what you mean about getting a newer car, but i enjoy doing work on mine thats the main reason i keep it :Cool2:

Hope you get it sorted trav

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andy M said:
I did the same with a mates car using a hammer

All i did was line the nut up square, get 30mm socket on a handle and push whilst turning ensuring its kept square on and it will recut the damaged thread
Tried that, but it wouldn't go on, didn't want to cross thread it. Gonna try again in the morn. I was a bit pissed off by then!

·
Premium Member
5,296 Posts
CavHopper said:
Well, today I decided, despite being full of a stinking cold, to finally do the cv boot on the cav, have known it needed doing for a few weeks but haven't had time. I thought it would be straightforward! I started at about 1.30pm

So, off comes the wheel. Out comes my socket set. Hmmm, 30mm, yep got one of them, sweet. Its a bit shallow, but should be OK.

So I shove a screwdriver through one of the wheelnut holes, and start trying to get the hub nut off.

About an hour of swearing and two snapped screwdrivers later, I finally realise that the socket is not long enough, and I better get a longer one before I round off the end of the nut. Only place that might have one thats within walking distance is Motorworld, so off I go. Yep they have one, and it is priced £12.99!!!!!:eh Had to buy it.

Back to the car, rammed in a nice strong screwdriver, stick my new socket on the breaker bar and hey presto, nut is off WOOOHOOO!

Right, undo the anti roll bar link, and it snaps!:grrr Its now about 4pm on a saturday, where the funk am I going to get one of them? So I called the missus to give me a lift to the factors, but it was closed. So tried halfords, but they dont stock them. ******, I thought. No winking man meet for me tomorrow.:shame:

As a last ditch effort, I tried the local small car accessory/parts place. And they had one! Couldn't believe it, so I rushed home to finish the job before dark.

Old boot cut off, new stretch boot on, new anti roll bar link on, ball joint re-attached, go to put the hub nut back on and the thread on the driveshaft is bent. Must have been when I hit it to get the hub off.:cry:

Bugger, now I need to go buy a thread cutter first thing in the morning, to sort that out so I can finish the job and peeps are arriving at mine to start the convoy at 10.30am

Sometimes I just think, why don't I just buy a newer car? I'm only just starting to get some feeling back in my fingers, I'm covered in grease/oil/shite and the car is still in bits on the drive.:rolleyes:

Sorry just had to get that off my chest!
you should of asked one of us who live near you i would of brung my socket for you and im sure mr m would of aswell:Cool2:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
fuk and i thought halfords was expensive! halfords profesinal - lifetime warrenty as andy sez bouts £4! i had a ***** of a day doin my wishbones they wouldnt go on for love nor money! finally got one done after 3 hours of pondering and cursing how 2 guide says half hour each! i think im jus a little inexperianced! :lmao: gunna do the other one tommorow - fingers x'd

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
Trav - see PM

if its the long shaft get the ole grinder out and cut it back---

WRAP Plumbers tape around the thread where you want to cut to protect it,... make the tape pretty thick n grind away! lol

OH and You'd better turn up as i dont know where i'm going lol

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
whitebullet said:
you should of asked one of us who live near you i would of brung my socket for you and im sure mr m would of aswell:Cool2:
You live 2.5 hrs away! Andy is 1.5hrs too. I just wanted to get it done tbh, will attack it with fresh vigour in the morn.:Cool2:

Makes me want to start drinking again!:grrr

·
Banned
14,579 Posts
CavHopper said:
You live 2.5 hrs away! Andy is 1.5hrs too. I just wanted to get it done tbh, will attack it with fresh vigour in the morn.:Cool2:

Mate thats nowt to do with it, i'd have happilly come over!

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
CavHopper said:

Ah, you'll get it sorted :D

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Graham(Spleenlesswonder) is kindly coming round a bit early tomorrow to lend a hand, but if we can't do it, I'll hitch a lift in the nova. So I'll be there one way or another. :up:

·
Premium Member
13,304 Posts
remeber being off work with virus and bro wanted his alternator changer on his orion ghia, i could hardly stand up.

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NOW SORTED! Rob(Yelloperil) kindly found me a new driveshaft in his "stock", so I have fitted that and all is well again!

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
great news :D did you get my pm?

C

·
0 Posts
Crikey, don't need the hub nut off for changing a cv boot.
Glad you're all sorted though :beer:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts