Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
**VxON Photographer of the year 2008***
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have finally decided all what work will happen to the car over the next month.. so here it is.. people can comment and give suggestions :)

-new uprated HT leads, sparks, panel filter, oil change.
-Janspeed centre section
-sportex twin 3" back box
-F20 gearbox
-courtenay lightened flywheel
-irmscher two part spoiler (sprayed and fitted)
-cav turbo rear panel + lights (sprayed and fitted)
-VIBE subwoofer (with built in amp)
-kenwood 4 channel amp (my mates giving me his for pennies)
-new front components running off two channels
-new 6x9's running off two channels

All in all.. quite a bit of work.. but have the holidays to get it done.. so should be fun.

a hell of a lot of money though (but not as much as you would think.)

still undecided as to what speakers to use. anyone used fusion components and 6x9's? some good prices on them.

·
VXON SirTalkalot
4,635 Posts
are you gonna spray the rear lights???

if not i can fully recomend the company that did myne

·
Banned
0 Posts
Shrink.........DONT get the 6x9's with the sub in the boot you wont need them. Fusion are a pretty solid make, had some co-ax's in the rear of my car and they did the job well enough.

·
Premium Member
17,488 Posts
shrink said:
still undecided as to what speakers to use. anyone used fusion components and 6x9's? some good prices on them.

6x9's and a sub dont work well together.

Fusion, had em they were good.

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,788 Posts
shrink said:
-new uprated HT leads, sparks, panel filter, oil change.
-Janspeed centre section
-sportex twin 3" back box
-F20 gearbox
-courtenay lightened flywheel.
Those engine mods will amount to feck all BHP gains, and will cost £500-600 in parts alone.

May aswell whack an XE in and gain 15 BHP for a couple of hundred quid, and get your mates to help you fit it.......................if you've got any.

·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dan Gliballs said:
Those engine mods will amount to feck all BHP gains, and will cost £500-600 in parts alone.

May aswell whack an XE in and gain 15 BHP for a couple of hundred quid, and get your mates to help you fit it.......................if you've got any.

cant help being a mean git can you dan ;)

an exhaust etc will amount to a very small BHP gain.. but thats not really the point.. its about a look and a nice exhaust note. The gearbox and flywheel will make pickup quicker through the gears. So all in the car will feel more responsive.

ive simply decided im not going the XE route. as most are stupid high mileage and have had the arse ragged off them for their 150k mile lifetime.

·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dan Gliballs said:

and where do you get that from?

aint gonna cost me £500 in parts.. about £400 maybe.

·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dunc said:
Shrink.........DONT get the 6x9's with the sub in the boot you wont need them. Fusion are a pretty solid make, had some co-ax's in the rear of my car and they did the job well enough.

yeah i will likely just get some coaxials for the back then.... i just want something for a little bit of rear fill in.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Get some fusion co-ax's then fella, run them off the headunit too, no point amping them just for a bit of rear fill.

·
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah... sounds like a plan.

question... can components be biamped? e.g if i have a four channel amp.. can two channels be used for bass.. and two for treble.. going into the crossovers as necessary? or is this pointless overkill?

just seems a shame to waste two channels of amp.

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
i'll send you pics of that spoiler this weekend david when i get home. just so you can see if its the right thing. wouldnt want a wasted journey!

·
Banned
0 Posts
You mean running the tweeters active, thats fine IF your amp can crossover at a high enough frequency which will be ~3k hz

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
I'm running Fusions co-axials in the rear of my car, but they're not clear enough for my liking. Sound a bit muffled.

The Infinity components in the front sound spot-on though.

·
Banned
0 Posts
shrink said:
can the passive crossovers included with components not deal with being bi-amped as a traditional pair of hi-fi speakers would?

cheers stuart that would be good... im hopefull that its just what i need
Your crossovers will only have one input so not sure how you'd "bi amp" them mate. Only way to use two channel for mid and two for tweeters is to run them actively and do away with the crossover, or i guess you could run mids direct from amp and have them playing all frequencies and use the crossover on the tweeters only?? But thats a bit pants really as the mids wont be able to play upto the higher frequencies and will sound rubbish.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Yeah, sounds like a better plan matey. Although, 100w is in excess of what you really need, so make sure you dont crank the amp volume up :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts