Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to an MOT failure I have to get a bit of welding done on the car.

The problem is "excessive corrosion on offside front chassis leg, under the wing body. Can cause serious problem as it is within 30cm of a load-bearing area".

My brother is going to do the welding for me, but having not done a chunk of chassis leg before he needs to know the following:

What would be a good steel subsitute for the corroded section we will have to remove?

Thickness is the big question i suppose, as I can't tell how thick the chassis leg steel is. Could use a piece of front wing or something?

Also any other tips for welding of this type would be welcomed.

TIA. :coke:

·
Another Dead CDX
767 Posts
Rivet an old bit of buiscuit tin on it then a bit of sealer then a bit of the old brush on underseal thats been on the garage shelf for years ... :jason2:

AHhhhhhh Happy Mot Days....:lmao:

Until ............ :bust: :banned :cry:

MD

C

·
0 Posts
Lol, I at least use chemical metal, can make the edges look like weld with that too :lmao:

·
Registered
127 Posts
cavtastic said:
Due to an MOT failure I have to get a bit of welding done on the car.

The problem is "excessive corrosion on offside front chassis leg, under the wing body. Can cause serious problem as it is within 30cm of a load-bearing area".

My brother is going to do the welding for me, but having not done a chunk of chassis leg before he needs to know the following:

What would be a good steel subsitute for the corroded section we will have to remove?

Thickness is the big question i suppose, as I can't tell how thick the chassis leg steel is. Could use a piece of front wing or something?

Also any other tips for welding of this type would be welcomed.

TIA. :coke:
u can use most panels as most of ur car is made of 1.6 mild steel,ur chassis leg will be slightly thicker but it doesnt matter,if u have any questions on welding just ask cus im a qualified welder by trade

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rapid16v said:
u can use most panels as most of ur car is made of 1.6 mild steel,ur chassis leg will be slightly thicker but it doesnt matter,if u have any questions on welding just ask cus im a qualified welder by trade
all praise the sensible answer :Cool2:

do you know what the thickness of the chassis leg would be? if so then i may be able to get the raw material to do it. :up:

·
Registered
127 Posts
cavtastic said:
all praise the sensible answer :Cool2:

do you know what the thickness of the chassis leg would be? if so then i may be able to get the raw material to do it. :up:
not for certain but 2mm plate would be plenty then just fully weld it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts