Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Wondered if anyone can help or if they’ve had the same problem. I have a 62 plate Astra van 1.7cdti. When on idle it seems to hunt a bit, so I got the fuel filter changed. Seems to have helped a bit but I also have a strange whirring noise. Starts low and then the noise gets Higher and then stops. Does it when cold on idle and also when driving. Seems to quieten down when warm. Sounds like it’s from the high pressure fuel pump area. But the van drives fine, no lack of power or cutting out or anything. Can anyone help or know what the noise is/ If it’s harmful to carry on driving. Thanks in advance, Tom.

·
Premium Member
13,311 Posts
More than likely to be the SCV starting to fail, this will gradually get worse causing the engine to hunt/surge at idle, just keep an eye/ear on it for now, if it gets worse then you would need to replace the valve, dont buy a cheap one from ebay as it will most certainly be a Chinese copy part which will be worse than your old one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grea
More than likely to be the SCV starting to fail, this will gradually get worse causing the engine to hunt/surge at idle, just keep an eye/ear on it for now, if it gets worse then you would need to replace the valve, dont buy a cheap one from ebay as it will most certainly be a Chinese copy part which will be worse than your old one.
great thanks Andy, I’ve heard a few people talk about them but just never know if it’s correct! I may just buy one and replace as they aren’t greatly expensive. Thanks for the reply. I’ll let you know how I get on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts