Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allo all,

I just down-graded from my Vectra to an Astra, smaller car + smaller engine as I don't commute as much as I used to.

Now, it is a 1.6 16v on a S reg 1998. While driving everything is fine, temp is good and the fan works on/off no problems.
What happens is, when i stop after a journey and switch off the engine, a little bit of coolant leaks for a few seconds and then stops. It leaks from the right/front of the car (around rad area). It does not leak while the car is running - weird one?

Anyone had any experience on this?

many thanks in advance.
Max

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hiya,
Have you been having to top the coolant up?
Have you tried tasting (yuk) the liquid that has leaked?
if there is no taste of coolant additive (antifreeze) does you car have aircon as it could be from the condensor if it has.

Nick

Allo all,

I just down-graded from my Vectra to an Astra, smaller car + smaller engine as I don't commute as much as I used to.

Now, it is a 1.6 16v on a S reg 1998. While driving everything is fine, temp is good and the fan works on/off no problems.
What happens is, when i stop after a journey and switch off the engine, a little bit of coolant leaks for a few seconds and then stops. It leaks from the right/front of the car (around rad area). It does not leak while the car is running - weird one?

Anyone had any experience on this?

many thanks in advance.
Max

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi
Coolant does need to be topped up as it's level drops a little.
And the coolant itself has no anti-freeze in it - it's just plain water.
And yes, the car does have Air con.

I'am getting underneith it today to check where it's leaking from - it only leaks after a long run and leaks for a few seconds.
So......it's not the head gasket thats gone..........I hope ;)

Will be in touch....

Thanks again

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I have found the culprit.....
Please these links to a couple pictures taken.....

Now, I just took the engine cover off and found that one off the pipes from the water tank is not connected as in the pictures. It has just been left hanging aound underneith the engine cover......amatuers eh?

Now, where is supposed to be connected? It seems that water is leaking from this pipe which act as some sort of overflow thingy i think.
Please confirm

Many thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does it go to the top of the radiator? My wife's corsa has a fitting just left of the top hose on the radiator. Has this been blanked off or the radiator replaced with a non-standard one?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Basically, the car has had a front bash in its life at some point.
It looks like, whoever fixed was either a lazy so and so or just couldn't figure it out.
I;ll have poke arond the radiator to see.
The shape of the pipe itself goes toward something which looks like someone has just screwed a screw into, in the first photo - could this be it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Basically, the car has had a front bash in its life at some point.
It looks like, whoever fixed was either a lazy so and so or just couldn't figure it out.
I;ll have poke arond the radiator to see.
The shape of the pipe itself goes toward something which looks like someone has just screwed a screw into, in the first photo - could this be it?
I think you could be right, take a look at the picture at the start of the sticky 'whats under your bonnet?' thread - it shows a pipe going into the thermostat housing which then appears to take a different route to your pipe but ends up at the expansion tank.

As for not having antifreeze in the system - once you get the leak sorted I would advise you to add some as it also helps prevent internal corrosion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This pipe which goes from the expansion tank is supposed to go into the thermostat housing.......the little pipe which sticks out of the housing is broken so the pipe cannot be cir-clipped onto it - hence, why some muppet has stuck a screw into it to stop the water leaking.

The car, temp and both radiator fans are working fine.

Q) Why does there need to be a pipe from the thermostat housing to the expansion tank?
Does water go into the expansion tank from the housing? Because if I take out the screw from the housing, water leaks.

Any thoughts?
Many thanks.....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Q) Why does there need to be a pipe from the thermostat housing to the expansion tank?
Does water go into the expansion tank from the housing? Because if I take out the screw from the housing, water leaks.

Any thoughts?
Many thanks.....
When the engine is running, coolant does flow into the expansion tank, and can be seen running out of that pipe. The entry point is above the normal (cold) coolant level in the tank, but I guess after a run, coolant could be forced out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts