Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
could be a mass of things.

check the tension on your belts, what kind of engine is it? ribbed or vbelt?
more input please :)

·
Up For The Craic
11,054 Posts
Isn't that the same as the fanbelt? I think it's coming from the top.
Well fan belts use to be used to run the fan before the fans became electrically powered. There are also power steering belts on cars and some hav A/C belts as well! So to call every belt a fan belt can lead to problems!

If it's the top then it could the either the alternator belt or worse, the alternator!

Water pump is down lower.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
you'll probably find its a worn belt, might be slipping a little or that its too loose / tight and needs adjusting.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
You need to make sure its not the waterpump or timing belt idlers,the waterpump is driven by the timing belt so sits behind the rear belt cover low down on the block.The best thing to do is take off the alt belt first and start the car and see if the noise is still there.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
shouldn't be too bad. get it changed ASAP.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I was quoted just under £200 the guy at the garage said its a big job because all the drive is through the timing belt alternator or summat so i left it. Mine always makes a funny sort of noise like its an electric car, I've left it until i put some money together

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.