Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

Discussion Starter #42
Knowing me I would probably get a ricochet and shoot meself.

Discussion Starter #43
Well this is how the rear lights mount.

There are 4 plastic inserts that two self tappers and two hex headed screws go into.

Then there are 3 ball headed things that pop into rubber bushes in the body.

Two locating spigots go into a round hole at the bottom and an elongated hole at the top. They are supposed to be sealed to the body by thick foam rubber washers.

The ones on mine are either missing or sqashed and ineffective.

Looks like the current leak is mainly because one of the rubber mounting bushes was missing and the poor condition of the foam rubber sealing washers.

I do actually have the foam sealing gaskets that go round the hole where the lighting cable passes out to the rear light, just taken them off when I took the light units out.

Ideally I need two new seals for the lights which are a fiver each, already bought two rubber bushes for 拢7 and believe it or not those foam rubber washers are a fiver each too! Think I will buy some thick closed cell rubber and punch some out.

Maybe then eventually my goldfish in boot can be relocated and I will have a dry car.

Odd thing is that it has not let in a drop of water since I dried it all out earlier in the week and it has peeed down most days since.

Discussion Starter #44

Discussion Starter #45

Super Moderator
yup fitted to my c, get em on koi, they may be the cause of the leak then, as mine dont leak, well i dont think it does, been years since i lifted the spare out :rolleyes:

Premium Member
I know when my corsa started leaking it was the rear light foam. I only noticed the leak after my boot light stopped working and when investigating this I came across the leak which had run along the loom and corroded a connector.

Premium Member
Hope you've finally cracked it. If not, have you checked the underside of the roof rack chanel's with the hosepipe? I know the headlining is dry, but it's possible water is tracking down without wetting the headlining. I know what a nightmare water leaks can be.
I'm still waiting to see if I've cured my J leak, up to now still dry, but I'm not convinced yet. As mine is more intermittent than yours.

Discussion Starter #49
Realised that I have some craft foam that bought years ago wich I could use. It's too thin on its own but nothing stopping me cutting a few replacement gaskets out and gluing one on top of the other.

I have also noticed when looking at the photo which shows my home made white gasket for the wiring hole that the light on the left hand side has not been sitting on the gasket. Nothing stopping that gasket being cut slightly bigger to stop that happening.

Discussion Starter #50
......mine is more intermittent than yours. .......
Mine can go months and months and be dry as a bone, then it is like someone has tipped half a bucket of water in there. Replacing the gaskets and foam rubber washers will help and I think I will glue some deflector strips of rubber above any openings for good measure too.

Discussion Starter #51
Found some more plastic foam this morning that might be ideal for the rubber washers, just got to pop one of the lights back off and measure the best one on there to see how thick it is.

Premium Member
I we
Mine can go months and months and be dry as a bone, then it is like someone has tipped half a bucket of water in there. Replacing the gaskets and foam rubber washers will help and I think I will glue some deflector strips of rubber above any openings for good measure too.
I went six months to find out I had a cup full of water within my wheel well, weird. It's still bone dry, 3 weeks on. I bet you check the wheel well next time you buy a used car, I certainly will do. Along with all the other regular checks.

Discussion Starter #53
Made some new foam gaskets today for the lights and to go on the spigots.
When I took the light off I found the new bush I fitted last week was almost inside the hole, which is probably what happened to the original. Just managed to get some needle nose pliers on it and it was a struggle to pull it back out. If it hadn't been dark I would have super glued it in place. Carefully refitted the light assembly and checked the bush was sat correctly, refitted the screws then thought I better make sure the bulbs were working, only to find the sidelight has stopped working, so everything back off again. Gave the wiring plug a good wiggle and everything working again.
The foam is a bit thick really but at least it is sealing the holes. I will measure it later to see what a better thickness might be, but the light is sitting more or less flush so might settle a bit more.
Might do the other side over the weekend, I've already cut the gasket and spigot seals ready.
Let's hope this finally sorts it.

Discussion Starter #54
Well over a week on and it is dry as a bone, even after storm Ciara.
Just been out and done the other side the same in readiness for storm Dennis.
The foam I am using is a tad on the thick side but seems to compress down just enough to stop the lights sitting proud. I measured it and it is 10mm thick so if anyone fancies making their own gaskets 8mm would be ideal.
I've been here before thinking I've finally cracked it so let's see how it gets on this time. Unfortunately there appears to have been multiple leaks into the boot which I have been identifying one by one so hopefully this is the last one, then I can finally get my boot side panel reinstalled and be able to use the parcel shelf again which has lived in the garage for over 2 years now.

Discussion Starter #56
Storm Ciara and storm Dennis so far have failed to penetrate my home made foam gaskets, completely dry in there today when I had the spare wheel out.

Premium Member
Think I'll take one of my rear light clusters off to check them on my Astra, as I've checked just about everything else.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts