Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You can't see it in that photo but there is a sealing lip around the boot which is supposed to be held tight to the body but there was a gap. All sealed now and the hatch is shut so it seals in the shut position. Tomorrow, all being well I can put some more sealer around it and put some of the stuff back in the car.

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I changed the roof aerial when I fitted the boot spoiler because with the spoiler you need a more upright aerial to clear the spoiler. When I changed it I changed the O ring that actually provides the water seal and sealed it with some silicon for good measure. Owners sometimes wrongly assume that the black plastic base the aerial sits on is the seal but it is not.

Good call though and something that may help someone else coming across this thread.

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It's not fixed. :( (n)

Rained Friday night and the first aid kit compartment is wet again. Can't be coming in through the rubber boot any more so has to be the lights.
Out with the hose tomorrow when I an back home.
At least I just popped the panels back in loosely.

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Progress has been made.
It is leaking through a body seam, running into the plastic channel that the wiring harness sits in. Then it drips onto the seatbelt reel and runs off that onto the accessory socket and through into the boot.

1523720691811-1817523335.jpg

1523720748028439940605.jpg

1523720786015-1645555224.jpg

Now got to find out how it gets to that seam.

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think after several hours with the hose that it is getting in through where the bracket that holds the boot strut is spot welded to the body, so that is the next thing to seal around. Doesn't leak until I put water onto that bracket.

I hate water leaks, take forever to track down. :( :cry:

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It is. (y)

I can feel it inside the inside of the inner skin and the seam is a simple lap joint so any water running down the inside will seep through into the boot side.

Got no sealer with me so will have to wait till I am back at Koi Castle on Monday and I will seal around that bracket.

I found where the rear sunroof drains exit through the boot floor today, I can get my hands into the compartment now the panels are out again.

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sealed around the strut bracket just got to wait for the current heatwave to end and will see if that sorts it. Could drag the hose out and spray water everywhere again. Or I could sit in the sun and drink cider.
Wonder what I'm going to do? (y) :LOL:

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It's raining.
My boot is still leaking. :(

Running out of ideas now. :unsure:

It is better though (y) and down to the smallest of leaks but the absorbent paper I have in there is still getting damp. (n)

Time to get the coloured water out to hunt down the elusive entry point. :sneaky:

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Can't do that, just ordered a new pair of wishbones for the front.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Lost count of the hours i spent locked in a car or boot trying to find a water leak ......but it beats sitting in a car or boot on fire watch with a fairy liquid bottle putting out fires whilst welding was going on outside ... probably wouldnt be allowed on h&s grounds now!

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Koi vs the Meriva continues with little progress. I have poked my USB boroscope in and looked at as much as I can but it is not really bright enough to see much. Odd thing is I can see the inside of the wiring boot and that is bone dry.
The sound DIY deadening behind the wheel arch is soaking so I have pulled that up to dry out.
Really need a web cam with lights to see much more because they focus at a greater distance. The boroscope is ideal close up but then you can't see much.

Went out in the rain the other day when it was on the drive and there was a steady drip into the car. Parked it in work and it stays bone dry. Only difference is the driveway at Koicarpkeeper Castle slopes down and the car park in work is level.
I bought some gel super glue earlier and I am going to remove the silicon sealer and glue the flexi boots to the body and the hatch, then seal on top of them.

I can't get it to leak in like it was dripping the other day, even pouring water over it but even a tiny leak let's a lot of water in over time.

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I think it is fixed! :D (y)

Used Captain Trolley's Creeping Crack Sealer after @andy_v suggested it. Took the boot rubber off and used the leak sealer on all the joints that make up the flange the rubber sits on after cleaning it all up. Reapplied loads of it over a period of a month, squeezed some of the larger flange joints together to make it easier for the leak sealer to creep into the gaps.

When I went to put the boot seal back on I found a bit of damage which meant there was a small gap in the seal so I put it back so that was at the lowest point. Now because we had such a long, hot Summer I have waited until we have had some drizzle, light rain and heavy downpours and it really does seem to be sorted now. If nothing shows up on the absorbent papers I have wedged in the bottom where it was running before I will put the side panel back in so I can have my rear parcel shelf back in.

Fingers crossed but it looks like my car is finally water tight again.

Will flush the front sunroof drain tubes through as a preventative measure one evening this week too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi, i know this post is over a year old but I'm having exactly the same issue with my Meriva A, 53 plate. Water around the boot cigarette lighter connector. Now fuse keeps blowing for rear break lights (So Dangerous!) as there is no indication to say the fuse has blown and also when fuse is replaced the break light bulb blows, there is no water leak or damage anywhere around the rear light housing. Do you have any photos of exactly what you did to seal the leak?

I will remove the boot rubber and try sealing everything. I have not removed any of the panels yet but I am hoping that the wiring loom is ok, but i think it will need a good drying out.

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Still leaking unfortunately.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thats a shame it didnt work, I have done a bit more googling and it may be the seems on the roof gully, i will take a look at that first, if i can get to it and try some sealant along there.

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
I'm fairly sure it is the rear light on mine but it can go weeks bone dry then things will be wet again.
Almost as if the gap is somehow getting blocked then randomly clearing itself.
Most frustrating.

·
11,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Still leaking.
I can keep a shoal of goldfish in there.
But progress has been made. I will put some photos up later when I can transfer then from my phone.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts