Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Could anyone please offer some advice? I bought my 1.8LS Vectra about 7 months ago, there wasn't a manual with the car. A light has become illuminated on the dash board, it is circular and on the outside of the circle on the left and right hand side there are 3 small rectangle shapes following the contours of the circle.

Normally, my father fixes my car for me, however, he doesn't know what this symbol is but thinks it could have something to do with the brakes, the pads and discs were replaced when I got the car.

I usually get ripped off at garages, so if someone could shed some light on the symbol at least I will know what it is.

Many Thanks :eh

·
Premium Member
Jaguar XF 2.2 Sport LE with extra toys
1,286 Posts
Is there another warning lamp lighting up when the handbrake is on? If not then this could be what your light is for. It may be that the small switch under the handbrake gaiter is jammed on. It could also be on to indicate low brake fluid level as the light is used for this function as well. I hope the above
helps you out as I have looked in two different vectra owners handbooks from different years and I cant find a light with the description that you give :lockd

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes there is another warning light for the handbrake. All fluid levels are fine. Will have the switch checked under the handbrake gaiter. Failing that looks like a trip to the garage.

Many Thanks for the advice.

·
Qualified lego bricklayer
9,180 Posts
Can you not post a picture of said warning light?

It *could* well be the brake pad warning light, but a picture would give a better clue.

·
Premium Member
Jaguar XF 2.2 Sport LE with extra toys
1,286 Posts
Just another thought, it just might be the warning lamp to let you know that
anti lock side of the braking system is not fuctioning properly. Is it an orange
coloured light? The A.B.S. light on my car is. (Face lift CDX model.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, I am guessing that the light is probably orange, if so i am certain its a brake pad warning light, letting you know the pads are low. If it was the red light that comes on when you put handbrake on it might have been an issue with the brake fluid level but not so if its orange (generly red lights on the dash operate major functions i.e battery, oil, handbrake on/fluid low) the orange ones if on warn that something isnt quite right so to get the checked asap. I an sure you have not worn out you brake pads in 7 months unless you drive like Jenson Button! so the smart money is on the wire for the brake pad warning sensor being damaged. Hope this helps

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a orange light, thank you for all the advice, I will get the wiring on the sensor and the pads checked out.

Thanks again:D

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sorry to but in on your thread...but my mate was down with his '51' plate vectra today asking me about the same problem :rolleyes: . The light is located at the top of the centre console?...seems to go out when brake is pressed for some reason :mmmm . I checked his b/fluid lvl and topped up...but didnt solve problem. I changed the rear pads for him about a month ago...so if it is a low lining warning it must be the fronts...or an ABS wire/sensor is foowked. If i get the problem sorted i'll let you know the cause. :Cool2:

p.s. Dont know what was wrong with the warning system i used on my mk2 cavy's...grinding noise=brakes needing sorted :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts