Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to change the outer CV boots on our 1.9 TD 2005 Touran and will pop the driveshafts out to do it.
Can someone be helpful and provide the following torque settings please:
The big bolt that goes through the hub and into the CV joint?
The bolts that hold the inner CV joint to the gearbox flange?
The track rod end to steering arm nut?
The bottom arm to swivel hub nut?
The suspension strut to swivel hub clamp bolt?
I think that should cover it.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,529 Posts
Have you done this yet mate, i have access to Autodata which i can get the data from but not until tomorrow if thats any good.

·
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's ideal, planning on taking a day off one day this week to get it done so tomorrow is good for me for the torque values.
I'll have a look under it tonight when I'm back home to see if there is anything else that needs to come undone.
One YouTube video shows the joint being moved out of the hub with virtually everything else in place once the big bolt is taken out of the hub.
Unfortunately my scissor lift won't lift the Touran so will be done on car ramps.
The registration number is CF55NUH.
Do you need the VIN?

·
Premium Member
13,529 Posts
No, reg numbers fine, vin comes up anyway using the reg number, one of the lads in work owns one as well so he will know what needs to come undone, i will get a list of settings for the various bolts and post tomorrow evening.

·
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good man, much appreciated.

·
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might need the drop link / anti-roll bar link nut torque value too.

·
Worn Out Member
5,124 Posts
I found these on Haynes if it's any help

Attachments

·
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks both.
That will be useful, though looks like I will be getting wet getting it done.

·
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Always a pain when they say to renew the bolts because unless they are stretch bolts there is generally no need, it is only because the originals are "patch" bolts with pre-applied locking compound.
But the main hub bolt looks like it is 200Nm plus 180° so I think I might have to replace them.

·
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just bought 2 bolts from the VW dealer. Surprisingly cheaper than eBay at just £10.50 for the pair with a bit of discount thrown in.

·
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One side done without getting wet, which is always a good thing. 🍣
Got to go back to the VW parts department and buy some new bottom arm joint retaining flange nuts, don't want to reuse the originals.
The other side can wait till Friday if the weather is too bad tomorrow.

The main hub bolt came undone a lot easier than I anticipated, either that or the shredded wheat is working. 🍜

·
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New flange nuts just over a pound each.
Not like Vauxhall where everything seems to be silly expensive.

Waiting now for the rain to stop then out to put the nuts on, play He Man with my biggest 4' torque wrench to do the hub bolt up then drop it back down because mum helpfully informed me she has a hospital appointment tomorrow.

My preferred weather forcasting site tells me it will stop raining in 88 minutes.

My preferred weather service shows it will stop raining in

·
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All finished. (y)
Went out Thursday night at 10 to 9 and my weather forecast said it would stop raining at 9. Well it peed down on me so I put my stuff back in the garage, walked back round to the house and it stopped raining - dead on 9!
So back out and got the first side all finished then called it a night.

Finished work early on Friday and had the CV joint off in my hands in 50 minutes from start to finish, which is not bad going. 😁

Had to eat some extra shredded wheat to get the hub bolt done up properly again - thing is ridiculously tight. Even with a 5 foot length of scaffold pipe on my 3/4" power bar it was a struggle. Probably in a garage they would just gun it on until it felt tight, but if it says torque to 200Nm then turn an extra 180 degrees I like to do it properly, even if it made me count my danglies between my legs afterwards. 😂

Retest on Monday now.

·
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MoT passed, another year on the road keeps my parents mobile.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts