Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a 2009 2.0CDTi vivaro van with 140K miles. Bought from a very nice man, fill in the rest yourselves.
When I got it the ECU showed two faulty injectors but id did run when the glow plugs were working. Replaced these injectors with used items. Garage started the van and took it for a test drive. Parked the van and its never started since.
No diagnostic fault codes shown using OBD2 diagnostic tools.
Garage gave up on fault finding after considerable efforts and delivered it to me on the back of a rescue truck.

Turns over happily on fully charged battery.
I have Car Scanner Pro App working on my phone.
Monitoring diagnostics while cranking. Fuel rail, aprox 300Bar, Air flow, and fuel flow seem ok. Engine revs 2-300 rpm.cranking.
No spoke from the exhaust when cranking over.
Chain appears to have been replaced in the past, certainly someone has had the cover off and reinstalled it with gasket sealer.
Disconnecting the Cam sensor does not show up as a diagnostic fault when cranking which seems strange. Changed the Cam sensor with no improvement.
ECU was sent off for testing, reported back as working.

Whats my next move guys.

Colin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Easy start has been tried but no success.
Garage reported that if they cranked long enough it would burst into life and then instantly stop.
It does sound like there is compression.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi
Fuel Pressure approx 250 bar when cranking, declines slowly after cranking stops.
Coolant temp, air temp etc all at ambient. Sensor voltages seem fine.
You mentioned PID, was that Fuel Pressure PID or is PID a separate item.
I can hear the servo noises from the area of the EGR. I checked and the engine is sucking fresh air in so even if the EGR isn't perfect, it isn't blocking the inlet.
Garage did check / clean the EGR.

Thanks
Colin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thought is that the timing chain may have jumped a sprocket meaning that the timing is off. Can't think of any simple way of checking this.

Using Car Scanner Pro, does anyone know how to verify that the cam sensor is working. Any means to compare timing signals.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
C
Either use the dpf pressure sensor or disconnect it from the turbo down the back of the engine.
Can't see a dpf sensor on the car scanner list. Is there another name for it.
I would check fuel pressure pid coolant temp etc stuck open egr or clogged can cause a no start dpf data etc
check egr and exhaust restriction
Take it back to the garage who changed the 2 injectors.
Simple
Other than that
Are you sure it has a dpf?
Mines a 2012 , 61 plate , and no dpf.
EGR Cleaned and checked ok. Exhaust is passing gas / air through quite easily.

There is a drip of diesel at the exhaust pipe so fuel is flowing.

What next.
Colin
Take it back to the garage who changed the 2 injectors.
Simple
Other than that
Are you sure it has a dpf?
Mines a 2012 , 61 plate , and no dpf.
There is what I think is a DPF. On the rear of the engine there is a stainless steel bottle to which is connected the exhaust. I assume that is the DPF unless you know different.

The original symptom months back was faulty Injector 1 and 4 as shown on fault codes. At that time the engine would start, but not easily. The scuttle was leaking and water had flooded the injector cavities.
I measured all 4 injectors with a Multimeter and nos 1 and 4 had low input resistances of 10K to 12K. As they had been soaked in water that is no surprise.
I got two more used injectors and the garage managed to change them over after much struggling.
The van started, ran but after a short run wouldn't start again.
Garage struggled to solve problem for a day or two but gave up. They didn't charge for the fault finding so I can't blame them.
I had assumed that Injectors #2 & #3 were working but maybe it was one of the others.

I think your right, its time to go back to basics. Get back to the point where it was last working.
Can I get the injectors tested, or do I simply have to trade them in for reconditioned items.
Not keen to pay £300 or more for reconditioned injectors, just to mind that it doesn't solve the problem.

Colin

·
Registered
264 Posts
Post a photo of what you think may be a dpf.
Then I will tell you what I know.
I will say it is or it isnt.
Get on the floor, drivers side door .
Take a photo of the exhaust, then we will know

·
Registered
Tigra Twintop 1.8 AT Z18XE AF17
1,626 Posts
If it does’t start on spray, chain jump, blocked exhaust, egr stuck open, maf signal.
Chain jumped on 1st start due to 4 good injectors, good torque driving the chain. Do you have oscilloscope? And btw try start with maf disconnected.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bad injectors are looking most likely. Two of them have been replaced, presumably with faulty items. Replacing them with reconditioned items would give me at least two working injectors. At that point it would be easier to identify if either of the others was dodgy.
I might just be throwing good money after bad is my fear.
I'll see if I can get the two replacement injectors tested.

Thanks

Colin

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.