Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, wondering if anyway can help.

I have a 2009(58 reg) vauxhall vivaro which the starter motor keeps going.

I'm on the 3rd one in just about 3 months.

I switch the van on, van starts and then the starter motor keeps making some noise as if it's still going, burning smell starts and even smoke, this goes on for about 3/4 mins and then stops and then starter motor is gone(burned out I assume).

Exactly same thing happened twice already.

Any help would be appreciated. I think it would be too much of a coincidence to happen the exact same thing to two brand new starter motors, something must be provoking it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
It sounds as if the ignition switch is sticking.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
Reactions: andy_v

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They put a new starter motor as it was on warranty but didn't change the ignition switch. I think it's a matter of time before it happens again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does your van have a relay in the starter circuit? Sticking relay would cause the starter to remain engaged even after the key was released.
Sorry I wouldn't know. Don't know much about mechanics. The van starts fine though. I just the motor going until it burns out.

·
93 Carlton 2.0 Diamond Estate, 06 Vivaro 1.9 CDTi
1,208 Posts
No relay in starter circuit, direct link to solenoid to operate starter, I assume they fitted a complete stater with a new solenoid attached, so it must be the ignition switch, a live short on the solenoid wire or two dodgy/sticking solenoids :confused:.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, must be ignition switch then. Everyone seems to think so.

To be honest ever since I bought the van i thought something was not right with it. Sometimes keys wouldn't rotate, had to try few times, and recently when I switch off engine, when I rotate keys to off position it does a click noise. Not sure if any of this is related to a faulty ignition switch

Anyway any idea how much to replace it?

·
93 Carlton 2.0 Diamond Estate, 06 Vivaro 1.9 CDTi
1,208 Posts
Depending on what one you have, you can buy a complete barrel & switch with keys for £40.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts