Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have you guys might be able to help recently my van was driven into a road flood resulting in a blown engine does anybody know if you can buy a snorkel kit to stop this in the future at £4000 a pop we've got 6 vans in our small fleet so potential a lot of money if it happens again regards Graham

·
93 Carlton 2.0 Diamond Estate, 06 Vivaro 1.9 CDTi
1,114 Posts
Wouldn't have thought you could get a snorkel kit really as the problem with going through water in these vans is all the sensor connections aren't waterproof so after a while it stops anyway with water damage to the connectors and the actual sensors IE. crank sensor, fuel rail sensor ETC.
Must have been very deep or driven too fast, I've been through floods several times, up to 400mm + never had a problem other than the water in the connections.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine went I do understand about the electrical connections but they aren't as expensive as a new engine thanks for your reply buddy

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've often thought about this since I split the block in 1996 driving through a flood in Weymouth in a Trafic. a Mondeo drove through in front so I thought no problem, revving.
I didn't know the air intake was low on those, only three months old and luckily a company van. The dealer showed me the block, split between every cylinder. Not a lucky van as the next year a lorry hit the back and wrote it off. If you find one Grumpy let me know.
Rob

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
These vans don't get used by the off roaders like sprinters VWs Delicas etc so I think it unlikely there's an off the shelf fix here.

Maybe a VW or delica snorkel could be got from scrap and butchered to fit.

It doesn't need to be a full snorkel to avoid locking up, just enough to raise the intake and avoid heat soak. Why not make a custom intake out of some silicone hose used for cold air intakes? Where to route it is the question, I think the front is pretty crowded with the rad and intercooler. There will be a way. (Bonnet scoop? :cool:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've often thought about this since I split the block in 1996 driving through a flood in Weymouth in a Trafic. a Mondeo drove through in front so I thought no problem, revving.
I didn't know the air intake was low on those, only three months old and luckily a company van. The dealer showed me the block, split between every cylinder. Not a lucky van as the next year a lorry hit the back and wrote it off. If you find one Grumpy let me know.
Rob
Will do buddy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts