Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I'm new to the forum so please excuse me if I've posted this in the wrong section. I bought a Vauxhall Vivaro today from an auction.

Driving it back to London on the motorway, doing about 60-70mph and all of a sudden it loses power. We pull up on the hard shoulder, pull the key out of the ignition but the engine continues working and starts revving up to 4000 revs. There was smoke everywhere and we could not see a thing. The engine stopped after about 5 minutes. The police and fire brigade arrive, assuming there was a fire and hosed down the engine.

Anyway, we called the AA and had the van taken back to our house. Haven't tried to start it just in case it refuses to turn off again. We'll be taking it to the mechanic tomorrow but I was hoping I can get some ideas as to what the problem could be.

Has anybody had a similar issue with their Vivaro?

It's a 1.9DI, 2002.

·
Dammit...driving the world's most boring car
2009 Lexus GS450h
2,864 Posts
Sounds like turbo failure, any oil left in the engine?
Does indeed - had my turbo blow on my Mondeo with much the same symptoms - except the engine didn't keep running on it's own...VERY weird.

Be prepared for a MASSIVE bill...might have been better to let it burn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There isn't any oil left in the engine but I don't think this particular van has a turbo. It's a 1.9 DI (Diesel Injection) - not Turbo Diesel..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts