Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I own a 55 plate vivaro, the other day I left home and really struggled up the hills to get up going back down gears,noticed slight black smoke.no eml's. Pulled over, it actually felt like handbrake was on with no power to rev up. I checked fluids,topped oil but it was above min. It does burn a bit of oil but not enough I was worried. Anyway topped up oil but no difference. I could albeit slowly reach 45-50mph so continued journey for 20 minutes and on arrival called my breakdown which turned out to be nice chap from rac couple of hours later. He took egr out as i replaced it a few months ago, it was filthy and it looked like the piston bit on the end doesn't seal tight properly. Anyway he then got me to rev loads while while spraying half a can of stuff in. It smoked loads of black smoke but slowly cleared to normal amount of black smoke. He said theres no boost pressure. Anyway diagnosed it as turbo. Never checked anything else and didnt read ECU in case any codes. Does this sound right? I thought if turbo knackered I'd get tons of white burnt oil smoke? Anyway, I drove it home 20 minutes or so and wondered if theres anything I can test/look at myself before I manage to get a garage booking. I'm reluctant to order a new turbo in case it's not that, where do I start please? Is there a 100% turbo failure test without a code reader I can do with basic socket sets etc. It only revs to 2500 rpm and then hunts like its bouncing on a limiter. Thanks

1 - 1 of 1 Posts