Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

2005 vauxhall vivaro 1.9 dti

had the glow plug light on for about 6 months now, van is in a mild limp mode, not much power below 2000rpm and then once past that it kicks in proper and shifts how it should.

the codes that were comming up at one point they were about 6 codes, pointing to all the sensors, changed egr valve, boost pressure solonoid, no avail, noticed the wires going to the injectors were badly soldered so rewired and fitted new plugs to the injectors.

checked all the plugs, and the plugs in under the water bottle for corrosion or dirt, all seem to be fine,

codes that are comming up are from a snap on code reader.

so from fixing the wiring problem from the injectors, it seems to have cleared 2 codes sucessfully, one thing we did notice yesterday while tinkering with it, the engine runs out of limp mode when the MAF is unplugged, so ok we thought theres the problem, replaced the MAF...again to no avail.

its strange because the engine runs in non limp mode when the maf is unplugged! has power from 0rpm - 4000rpm as it should! But once you hit a traffic light and the engine idle's for a few seconds the light comes back on and its in SUPER limp mode to the point were it just wont even get upto 30mph. i had to pull over with hazard lights on and had to lock van, unlock and then start again to get back to my dads to tell him, we were certain that it was the maf - but £50 later on a new MAF and no joy

now my dads scratching his head with this one.

any imput would be great,

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
is 1826 not the glow time relay? Anything to do with glow plugs will inflict limp mode and as we've said before, you'll get an odd growl between sorta 1600-2300rpm because the plugs aren't heating the diesel up enough to combust properly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@stevek28 would that growl still be there when the maf was unplugged? because when the maf is unplugged the growl dissapears? does this sound normal? if it does sound normal to you i might just go ahead and change the glow plugs

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
right mate, the system operates as a whole, the maf tells the ecu how much air is coming in and at what temp that air is, from that point the ecu looks at throttle position and a few other sensors and then decides exactly how much fuel is needed in cylinders, cylinder temp is also at a pre calculated "guess" by the ecu as to what temp the plugs need to glow to burn the fuel off, now, by unplugging the maf you have just made the ecu run in a known safe called open loop, you could probably take any one sensor away and it will revert to the same old, you get puffs of smoke too don't you?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no puffs of smoke comming from the exhaust as far as i have noticed anyway, going to get them glow plugs changed new i should have done them earlier! will get them swapped and report back, thanks bud

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@stevek28 so today I'm in between jobs, driving to my next job and go over a pot hole, boom she went from normal limp mode to SUPER limp mode :cry: hardly any power struggling to get upto 15 mph, so I pulled over, had to unplug to maf sensor and now im able to drive, ive ordered the glow plugs just waiting for them to be delivered...

Did notice aswell with the maf unplugged that I'm getting black smoke comming out of the exhaust when accelerating, oh joy - I hope them glow plugs fix her but just weird how it went into super limp mode today after a damn pothole...

Think if these glow plugs don't fix it and when my dad checks all the wiring going to the gearbox I might have to start checking these parts ive been replacing for a faulty one with a voltmeter, could cry all this trouble this van is causing what a nightmare

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glow plugs changed this morning, have to say they deffo needed changing because my dad did a bench test with the old ones and they were not glowing at all when connected to a battery.

but yea...no joy, still in limp mode! maf unplugged so it runs better, going to let my dad have a look at all the wiring going to the gearbox and hope that there is something somewhere that is an obvious fix..

So far what has been done -

* All plugs and fuses have been checked for corrosion ect
* Injector plugs new plugs rewired
* New EGR valve
* New boost pressure solenoid
* New Glow plugs
* New Maf Sensor.

Things that have NOT been done

Checking all the wiring from the engine to the gearbox? @envoy suggested checking the wiring on a deeper level,

And another thing is the boost pressure SENSOR ?? could that be worth changing? at £85 + VAT from Vauxhall im reluctant to take the gamble

this problem could not have come at a worse time, my other half is pregnant and is due in 6 days, not to mention im a window cleaner and now the suns out more jobs are coming in.

I laugh about it because if I didn't laugh ide cry and possibly wouldn't stop crying until I dehydrated myself to death :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi guys,

2005 vauxhall vivaro 1.9 dti

had the glow plug light on for about 6 months now, van is in a mild limp mode, not much power below 2000rpm and then once past that it kicks in proper and shifts how it should.

the codes that were comming up at one point they were about 6 codes, pointing to all the sensors, changed egr valve, boost pressure solonoid, no avail, noticed the wires going to the injectors were badly soldered so rewired and fitted new plugs to the injectors.

checked all the plugs, and the plugs in under the water bottle for corrosion or dirt, all seem to be fine,

codes that are comming up are from a snap on code reader.

so from fixing the wiring problem from the injectors, it seems to have cleared 2 codes sucessfully, one thing we did notice yesterday while tinkering with it, the engine runs out of limp mode when the MAF is unplugged, so ok we thought theres the problem, replaced the MAF...again to no avail.

its strange because the engine runs in non limp mode when the maf is unplugged! has power from 0rpm - 4000rpm as it should! But once you hit a traffic light and the engine idle's for a few seconds the light comes back on and its in SUPER limp mode to the point were it just wont even get upto 30mph. i had to pull over with hazard lights on and had to lock van, unlock and then start again to get back to my dads to tell him, we were certain that it was the maf - but £50 later on a new MAF and no joy

now my dads scratching his head with this one.

any imput would be great,
Hi Andy, had an issue with my van going into limp mode on the way to cornwall and back. it would happen at mway speed when going uphill. glow plug light came on, switch off engine then back on so it bump starts at 70 (ish) all back to normal till the next slight incline. made it back to Rochdale and took it to my local garage ( e k motors ) and had a word with them. they gave it a free diagnostic, cleared all codes then sent me off to make it happen again and limp it back to them. after a re diagnosis it spat out a boost pressure sensor fault. I was then advised to take off the small pipe that goes from the intake manifold to the sensor and check that the hole from the intake is clear of soot/carbon. low and behold it was packed solid. a small diameter drill bit is all that was needed to clear it and the limp mode issue has gone. I had tried egr and maf sensor tricks too and none of them worked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had this same problem, glow plug light on continuously - Changed MAP sensor on inner wing and all sorted, right next to the boost pressure sensor - Cheap fix at £65 for genuine part.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would go back to the MAF personally. It's been well documented that the only MAF you should buy is OEM for these. Vauxhall want £200 for one and renault are about £130 I think. But the aftermarket MAFs are no good. Oem only.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts