Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help with this ! vivaro 06 1.9 ...the temperature gauge flickers up and done and somtimes down to zero ..the engine runs rough at idle and there is a lack of power
I was thinking the coolant sensor which is then messing up fuel mix/delivery
I don't have any idea where the sensor is located but have had a price of £20.00 + vat from local dealer for the part

any ideas anyone

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi have the same problem with mine Ichanged the sensor but no different
the sensor is on the right hand side of the engine under a load of pipes easy way is to remove the main air inlet pipe (big one at the top) remove the 2 heater pipes (the ones with four wires connected) remove vacuum pipe located at the front of engine and if you look under the thermostat housing there it is with a square connecter theres a clip around it ,pull the clip off and gently wiggle the sensor loose it has an O ring inside to seal it sounds diffcult but only took about 10 mins to replace

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 04 Vivaro gets a problem with the temperature gauge when it rains. if there's been heavy rainfall and I'm driving, the gauge suddenly starts varying up and down in a random fashion. After it stops raining the guauge returns to normal within an hour if driving. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too am having problems with the sensor on my 2.5 `54 plate vivaro.i had a small water leak from a cracked thermostat housing which i have replaced with a new one.i swapped the old sensor over to the new housing but am not getting any gauge reading at all. i replaced the sensor with a new one but exactly the same problem. all connectors have been cleaned and adjusted.the gauge worked fine before.
i also tried disconnecting the battery as a reset test but still no luck.
can anyone suggest a solution or cause please ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The problem with a flickering gauge is a broken wire on the coolant temperature sensor plug. Over a period of time the wire insulation becomes brittle due to the heat from the engine. The inner core then fractures breaking the circuit. The wires are held in rubber grommets in the plug meaning the two ends are often in contact with each other and the gauge registers the engine temperature. When on bumpy roads, the wires temporarily move apart breaking the ciruit and making the gauge flicker up and down. Source a replacement plug if possible (preferably new) or improvise with a piece of speaker wire and two small speaker, bayonet connectors. I found it easier to remove the sensor, connect the wires and refit it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The problem with a flickering gauge is a broken wire on the coolant temperature sensor plug. Over a period of time the wire insulation becomes brittle due to the heat from the engine. The inner core then fractures breaking the circuit. The wires are held in rubber grommets in the plug meaning the two ends are often in contact with each other and the gauge registers the engine temperature. When on bumpy roads, the wires temporarily move apart breaking the ciruit and making the gauge flicker up and down. Source a replacement plug if possible (preferably new) or improvise with a piece of speaker wire and two small speaker, bayonet connectors. I found it easier to remove the sensor, connect the wires and refit it.
I have the exact same problem. No reading on the gauge now and cooling fan runs. Did anyone manage to source a replacement plug? I can't find one anywhere so will have to opt for the improvised solution unless someone can help.

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Go to a scrap yard and get one from a laguna , or possibly a megane or scenic , same head on them all so probably same stat housing . Will have done less miles and will be kept dry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks electric7831. I have managed to fix it. The wiring loom to the plug is really tight/short on to the temp sensor which convinced me it must be the plug wiring shorting due to the loom straining and vibration over time from the engine(also many people with loom issues on here). Drained the coolant and removed a few hoses to get a closer look and be able to 'replace' the plug wiring; chopped the plug off and was left with only 40mm of wire to play with. Extended that and added the speaker connectors as above all soldered and heatshrink protected. Removed the temp sensor to compare connections to the plug (4 way on plug only 2 ways used!!! and impossible to source!!! Why did Renault do that?????). Having chopped the plug off I then find the temp sensor wobbles!! So that could have been the cause of the shorting all along which made the gauge flicker up and down from zero to 2,4,6. I had bought a replacement as I'd gone to the bother of draining the system. Replaced that along with the rubber washer put the clip back filled her up and all worked perfectly!!!

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
From what I remember the temp sensor had 4 connections, might have been the early ones without the abs for the speed sensing. Things change over the years of production .

·
Registered
227 Posts
Laguna plug is defo the way to go, you can cut it from the loom further down giving yourself plenty of extra wire..making it easier to splice onto the van loom, leaves the connection with more slack and as said above the wire/plug of a Laguna won’t be as brittle as the van ones. They seem to be overstrearched from factory!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi have the same problem with mine Ichanged the sensor but no different
the sensor is on the right hand side of the engine under a load of pipes easy way is to remove the main air inlet pipe (big one at the top) remove the 2 heater pipes (the ones with four wires connected) remove vacuum pipe located at the front of engine and if you look under the thermostat housing there it is with a square connecter theres a clip around it ,pull the clip off and gently wiggle the sensor loose it has an O ring inside to seal it sounds diffcult but only took about 10 mins to replace
Good Afternoon, by the sounds of it I have the same issue, I’m going to attempt it myself, just one question do I have to drain the coolant before I remove pipes and sensor? Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem - Lumpy tick over, black smoke, Temp gauge up and down, Cooling fan does not cut in.

I have a 2005 Vivario 1.9 Cdi Could some one tell me what Temp sensor I need ? seem to be getting 2 options on various sites .

·
Registered
264 Posts
Vivaro camper, the OP doesn't say whether the replacement of the sensor cured the other issues. I find it difficult to see the connection but I may be wrong. I have been working through some issues with mine for a little while now and having seen some improvement I now have lumpy idle (occasionally) and black smoke under acceleration (occasionally). I have no issues (touch wood) with my coolant gauge. So, since I DID identify sometime ago that mine suffers with the dodgy loom as it passes into the computer bay issue I guess it's time to eliminate that one from the compendium of games. Are you aware of this, relatively, little known issue? It may not be either of ours problem here but I need to eliminate it to be able to let my imagination move on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
“dodgy loom as it passes into the computer bay issue”

what’s that ?

I have noticed as my Temp Gauge gets worse, the lumpy running issue worsens too !

·
Registered
264 Posts
I maybe wrong then. I'm scouring the forum researching and someone else mentioned the coolant sensor does weird and wonderful things.

Here's the video relating to the dodgy wiring. Disregard the "issue" in the video, it's the damage to the loom that's relevant. Mine, if I wiggle the loom close to the ecu box, gives me all manner of codes and changes the idle. Worth watching and then checking:

....... then there's the dreaded blue plug issue! <rolleyes>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for this. Very useful info.
For a sake of a few € I’ve ordered a Coolant Temperature Sensor to rule it out.
I’ll let you know how it goes !

·
Registered
5 Posts
I maybe wrong then. I'm scouring the forum researching and someone else mentioned the coolant sensor does weird and wonderful things.

Here's the video relating to the dodgy wiring. Disregard the "issue" in the video, it's the damage to the loom that's relevant. Mine, if I wiggle the loom close to the ecu box, gives me all manner of codes and changes the idle. Worth watching and then checking:

....... then there's the dreaded blue plug issue! <rolleyes>
great video
👍🏼

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes I have no idea why this issue isn't so well known. Please do let us know as so often we never get to hear. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
So! New Temp sensor fitted today - Temp gauge is no longer going from Zero to Hot all the time. However it does still fluctuate more than I’d expect ! But 80% better than it was.
Also rough idling and poor performance is much improved. So I’d say that it was worth the money changing the Coolant Temp Sensor.

What may of impacted my results is that at the same time the EGR Valve was blanked off. It’s been getting coked up so decided to do away with it.
Hope that helps someone

·
Registered
264 Posts
Good news indeed! Fingers crossed for the future then. Shame you did away with the EGR though to skew the results like that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts