Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I would post this as have seen people asking before when they have changed gearboxes without speed censors in it or if there a speedo wiring fault

The wire you want is the green one in the picture on the abs ecu plug pin 16
Vehicles fitted with a sensor on gearbox the wire won't be there but it can be added as I just done it to mine and now speedo works a treat again
I have a 2008 van that had this wire and a 2003 that didn't I just added this wire to the 2003 and to the speedo and now it's working great again without using the gearbox speed censor

Attachments

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes on the older pre 2006 there from gearbox 2006 on there from the wire I posted on abs ecu both do the same thing just if u replace a gearbox without the sensor u can run a wire from this instead

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will be doing this for my can but where on the clocks do you put the wire ? Haven't stripped anything down yet till I get a good idea how to do it , thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just thought I would post this as have seen people asking before when they have changed gearboxes without speed censors in it or if there a speedo wiring fault

The wire you want is the green one in the picture on the abs ecu plug pin 16
Vehicles fitted with a sensor on gearbox the wire won't be there but it can be added as I just done it to mine and now speedo works a treat again
I have a 2008 van that had this wire and a 2003 that didn't I just added this wire to the 2003 and to the speedo and now it's working great again without using the gearbox speed censor

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have a trafic van which has p6 g/box fitted with blanked of sensor hole,the van has not got ABS so if i fit an abs sensor in front left hub and connect wires to cable at gearbox this should get speedo working.The abs sensor has got 2 wires but the plug from the old g/box has got 3 wires can you tell me which ones to connect

·
Registered
9 Posts
PS all the hubs have a hole for a sensor but will the bearing or what ever actuates the sensor be fitted on a non ABS van

·
"Red One.."
2,859 Posts
i have a trafic van which has p6 g/box fitted with blanked of sensor hole,the van has not got ABS so if i fit an abs sensor in front left hub and connect wires to cable at gearbox this should get speedo working.The abs sensor has got 2 wires but the plug from the old g/box has got 3 wires can you tell me which ones to connect
If it hasn't got ABS then you'll not be able to do this - as the original raw signal from the ABS sensor won't be compatible with the signal the instrument cluster requires. Indeed the gearbox speed sensor most likely isn't an inductive sensor as the ABS sensor is on these older vans so the signal wouldn't match.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for your help,can the gearbox be drilled to fit a sensor and will the the other half already be fitted inside

·
93 Carlton 2.0 Diamond Estate, 06 Vivaro 1.9 CDTi
1,104 Posts
No! There is no gear fitted on the crown wheel to drive it.
Probably the only option is to retro fit the ABS sensor and control to get the correct signal from the wheel to the speedo?
Which means you'll have to power the control but only use the speedo output.:sneaky:

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi this sounds like a solution can you explain in more detail,do you mean i would also need to fit abs control unit ecu ?i have been in the motor trade for 50years so can do the work myself. Can i not fit the correct type of speed sensor from another source to the front hub that would be compatable with speedo.Ive heard rally guys use sensor triggered by drive shaft bolt Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi this sounds like a solution can you explain in more detail,do you mean i would also need to fit abs control unit ecu ?i have been in the motor trade for 50years so can do the work myself. Can i not fit the correct type of speed sensor from another source to the front hub that would be compatable with speedo.Ive heard rally guys use sensor triggered by drive shaft bolt Any help would be appreciated
Can any one out there help with this problem a wiring diagram would be good

·
1,104 Posts
Very basically !
You will have to get an ABS unit with plugs and a certain amount of wire still attached from a scrapper, install the ABS unit and the left hand front sensor (the serrated ring should be on the inside of the disc/hub, if not you'll have to fit the hub with it on)
I can trace the wiring on the wiring diagram from TIS2000 but I can't seem to copy it to print it on here (may be someone can help with this ;)) so can help with the identifying of the power cables.
You need to just connect the positive and negative to power the unit with the sensor picking up from the hub and you should have a pulse on the wire you need to go to the speedo.
It shouldn't matter that you don't have the other three sensors as it will go into fault mode and send an output to put the ABS light on, but you don't have one and wont be connecting it to the ECU.
Hope this helps(y)

·
1,104 Posts
I couldn't find any way of copying the wiring diagram from the TIS2000 so I redrew it, hope it makes sense?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Thanks for this information, my friend is a retired auto electricion so hopefully he can wire it up once i fit the necessary parts,much appreciated and a better fix than fitting the correct gearbox

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alright, I have a van fitted with vehicle speed sensor, but the sensor wiring is damaged. ABS ECU does not have the green wire, so I added it. The question now is where does this green wire go on the dash connectors? There are 2 of them, one with 15 pins and one with 30 pins. I would appreciate some guidance :) Actually vehicle speed sensor pinout would be much better, can't find it anywhere. Atris Technik does not have this, which is weird... So I'm basically stuck :(

P.S.: Vehicle speed sensor pinout is the only solution for me I think. Because I have no clue which of three wires is faulty. SO the trick with the green cable might not even work for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts