Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past 100+ miles had started to notice a rotational bearing whine/noise from front of the van (2015 Vivaro 120BHP BiTurbo), noise is road speed dependent, and starts to become noticeable around 20/30 mph, and gets louder as road speed increases. Doesn't sound like a wheel bearing, and suspicions were another case of the infamous diff bearing failure (which seem to be a common problem on Trafic's/Vivaro's), and when checking for anything obvious have now discovered an obvious clattering/rattling noise from the gearbox (probably originating from around the diff) when any of the front wheels are rotated.

Van still driving OK (or it was yesterday!!), but wondering if anyone else has ever experienced a gearbox sounding like a box full of spanners?? And with gearbox internals potentially in bits, is it worth risking a drive to garage for further investigation/repair, or would recovery be a safer option here??

Gearbox failure after only 35K miles, not good!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Whining noise and rattle/clatter from gearbox was caused by wear/failure on gearbox output shaft bearings, no damage to any other gearbox internals, and problem has been resolved by replacing all gearbox bearings. Not impressed having to do this at such low mileage, but I guess it could have been worse!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Great you found it and came back and told us the problem. I'm on 31k so keeping my fingers crossed and it's the basic 80ps or thereabouts.
It must sound like a Roller now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts