Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Problem with my van that only been happening for about 4 years however finally have the time to look into it properly.

Symptons: When driving it is absolutely fine. The only occasional issue when driving is if you let the revs drop too low it will cut out / not rev (eg roundabout). When sitting stationary after a couple of minutes (sometimes less) it will just cut out, but restarts fine. Sometimes, rather than cutting out at tickover, you will go to pull away and it will not rev at all and then cuts out. Again it restarts fine.
Tickover: When you sit there ticking over the engine revs seem to suddenly drop and then increase, also the tone of the engine seems to change(sounds rough).

I have put OpCom on it this morning and i think the offending code is P0191. When ticking over it is showing at P0191 NOT PRESENT and then when it cuts out is shows P0191 PRESENT.

I have looked at the live readings of the Common Rail Fuel Pressure:
When ticking over happily is is reading circa 25,000
When tickover sounds rough the fuel pressure spikes to circa 60,000

I hope i have given enough infor for someone to point me in the right direction!

Please help!

Thanks
Jon

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Hi grant

I am using opcom which I downloaded. Seems to work well for the vivaro and a vx220 I have

Any ideas?
If you go into live data again and run some test on idle and 2000 rpm back down to idle try to replicate your issue what are the readings?

You can do this stationary, are the readings at spec sometimes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi
Static 2000rpm it fluctuates between 37000 and 41000
Drop back to idle it now sits at 34000, dropping to 21000 after a while and then spikes to 60000 if tickover runs rough.

Cut out a few times too.

Another point I forgot to mention is sometimes (very rarely but more often in warmer weather) when it has cut out it won't immediately restart unless you give the priming bulb a few pumps.

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Hi
Static 2000rpm it fluctuates between 37000 and 41000
Drop back to idle it now sits at 34000, dropping to 21000 after a while and then spikes to 60000 if tickover runs rough.

Cut out a few times too.

Another point I forgot to mention is sometimes (very rarely but more often in warmer weather) when it has cut out it won't immediately restart unless you give the priming bulb a few pumps.
Well obviously the fault code means fuel rail pressure sensor, but it does sound like fuel pressures more especially if you have to prime the bulb.

Try a new fuel pressure sensor first as it’s the cheapest

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Well obviously the fault code means fuel rail pressure sensor, but it does sound like fuel pressures more especially if you have to prime the bulb.

Try a new fuel pressure sensor first as it’s the cheapest

Also with out say “check the wiring to the sensor”!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi grant

Thanks for this. I will have a look at the wiring first as had several electrical issues with the van over the years.

I take it the fuel rail pressure sensor is physically located on the fuel rail? Possibly a stupid question but thought I might ask as I can't seem to find a decent manual for the 2.5 vivaro.

Thanks again

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bit of an update. Ordered the fuel rail pressure sensor and fitted this morning, the van is still doing exactly the same thing.

Any other ideas? Please help, this van is soooooo frustrating!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK so I am still battling with the issue on the vivaro. Bit of an update:

Some mornings won't start until a few squeeze of the priming bulb, other mornings fine.
Sometimes it just cuts out when tickover.
Seems to be harder to start if very hot weather or the van is pointing up hill.

I have changed the fuel rail pressure sensor and this has made not difference. I have been looking for fuel line letting in air and cannot find anything.

Today I have been looking at the electrics and have found the plug in the pic not plugged into anything. I have also found a sensor that doesn't have a cable going to it(above oli filter housing) but cannot find a cable hanging around, any ideas?

Also found a massive earth cable not attached, so can bolt that to the gearbox.

This van is driving me crazy. Any help genuinely appreciated..

Cheers

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts