Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a 2003 1.9 Vivaro sitting in the corner of the yard for months and months because it was hard to start but ran fine all day when it did get going. No codes logged on Opcom.

Someone suggested I check the Crank Sensor as they are known to give problems with corroded connectors. I had a look and was greeted with a quality bodge, the plug on the loom didn't fit the sensor on the van and was held on by a cable tie and it had been soldered into the loom with a blow torch. Lovely job, can't imagine why it had problems.

I did some reading and found that you could get a new plug by buying a Clio Crank Sensor kit and binning the sensor. I shaved a locating lug off the new plug as advised and it fits the sensor on the van perfectly. The colour coding on the new plug even matched the loom so I soldered it in neatly and used heat shrink. After taking the time tidy the mess up it still doesn't start well BUT I now have a p1372 crankshaft sensor segment error as well. Thought it might be a cheap crankshaft sensor so got a genuine GM one (93859837) but this didn't help either.

There are 2 sensors that can go in this van and given that someone has cut the original plug of the loom I have no way of knowing which should be on my van. I am told it is OK because the later one that I have is an upgrade but again I have no way of knowing.

The van is MK53 VTG. Can someone look up what sensor was on the vehicle from new? Is it OK to fit the later sensor?

Any ideas where to start? Thanks.....

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
you need to get the sensor new from vauxhall , aftermarket ones are junk.
also by going to the dealer theyll give you the right one

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Billy. I believe the replacement is an original sensor, it came in a sealed GM packet and has a Renault logo and part numbers embossed on the plastic housing. The eBay seller has over 4k perfect feedback so I doubt they are dodgy but you can never be 100%. I am wondering if the 2 versions of the sensors are not interchangeable but all the dealers are closed so it is hard to check right now.

I have spent another hour on it and noticed something interesting. With the old sensor it throws P1372 all the time and tries to stall when you touch the throttle. With the new sensor it doesn't try to stall but still throws P1372 continuously. I know this because OPCOM with clear the P1372 with the engine stopped but when running it is obviously continually erroring because it won't clear it.

Has anyone got access to the GM parts database and can they check what Crank Sensor MK53 VTG had on it when it left the factory? Thanks again...

·
Worn Out Member
5,779 Posts
If it helps here's pics from EPC
pic 1 is all crank sensors for that engine
pic 2 is VIN filtered for your van

Untitled picture.png

Untitled picture2.png

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Valer. So I do have the correct version of the sensor, that is good news.

OK so 2 options remain to explain the sudden P1372 codes. (1) the wire I have used to solder in the extensions is the wrong grade, I know these wires carry tiny signals and are really sensitive. (2) the colour codes appear to match up but the plug I have is for a Clio so might not match the Vivaro loom, I may therefore have crossed the wires. I am going to wait until the breakers yards open again and go and cut one of a late model Vivaro. I then know I have a good plug and I know the wiring is right as well.

It has sat there doing nothing for months and it is time to put the old girl back to work. Thanks again for the pointers.

·
Worn Out Member
5,779 Posts
Here's the pinout for the crank sensor

Untitled picture.png

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again lads, now we are getting somewhere bring this old girl back to life.

For the benefit of anyone who comes across this post please take note. The wiring colours on the Clio crank position sensor repair plug and Vivaro wiring loom appear at first glance to match but they do NOT match up. If you solder it in backwards like I did the van will start but P1372 will be continuously generated. Swap them around and it is fine with no errors.

The van started in about 5 seconds with no easy start and sounded great. It cut out after 10 seconds or so but started straight back up so I didn't think much of it. 2 minutes later it cuts again :-(

Long story short there is a fuel pressure sensor error and every time you wiggle the wires to the sensor it cuts out and logs the code (reading to high but I forget the code). Peel back the black wiring cover and we find that the crank sensor wiring is not the only thing these idiots have been butchering. Can I buy a repair plug for the fuel rail sensor to solder onto the loom or do I need to take my chances and cut one off a scrap van?

Cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks again lads, now we are getting somewhere bring this old girl back to life.

For the benefit of anyone who comes across this post please take note. The wiring colours on the Clio crank position sensor repair plug and Vivaro wiring loom appear at first glance to match but they do NOT match up. If you solder it in backwards like I did the van will start but P1372 will be continuously generated. Swap them around and it is fine with no errors.

The van started in about 5 seconds with no easy start and sounded great. It cut out after 10 seconds or so but started straight back up so I didn't think much of it. 2 minutes later it cuts again :-(

Long story short there is a fuel pressure sensor error and every time you wiggle the wires to the sensor it cuts out and logs the code (reading to high but I forget the code). Peel back the black wiring cover and we find that the crank sensor wiring is not the only thing these idiots have been butchering. Can I buy a repair plug for the fuel rail sensor to solder onto the loom or do I need to take my chances and cut one off a scrap van?

Cheers.
Hi there, sorry to jump in.. any joy with fuel pressure sensor? I have a wiring issue affecting my pressure sensor too, we have been jiggling the loom, peeling back to look at wires, checked ecu, blue box in fuse box etc. At wits end..only bit haven’t peeled back is up at the sensor itself as it seemed to cut out when jiggling further down. Any updates appreciated!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the slow response I have been away. Fitted this plug to mine and you can wiggle the plug all day with no problems. Make sure you solder the wires together and heat shrink cover it. Sadly mine is still hard to start but at least it is another issue fixed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for that.. be no harm in replacing sensor, still sure it’s wiring further down but it would take something else out the equation! Having another shot this Saturday, will update with end result. Thanks again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for that.. be no harm in replacing sensor, still sure it’s wiring further down but it would take something else out the equation! Having another shot this Saturday, will update with end result. Thanks again.
That link I put up is for the plug and 6 inches of cable. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts