Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about to buy a 2015 vivaro 1.6 120 biturbo sportive 37k on clock and am looking at ways to improve fuel consumption.
I’ve found a few adverts for chipping most promising massive gains in power and up to 10% better economy. Whilst I’m after economy I’m not going to knock more power. Has anyone tried chipping and can you recommend any companies in Yorkshire. Any problems with it or is it really as good as the adverts say?

Thanks

Pixie

·
Registered
103 Posts
What have you been driving with what power?
I've just come from a 140 T5 to a 80ps? Vivaro and found even in eco mode it drives better, smoother and as fast as the T5.
Drive it first then decide if it's right for you.. I thought I'd have mine chipped straight away but not now.
Rob

·
Super Moderator
25,749 Posts
I’d leave well alone , if it’s your workhorse you need reliability first & foremost before anything else.
The biturbo operating system is quite complex in how it works , i wouldn’t want to upset the way that goes about it’s job.

·
Premium Member
4,772 Posts
i’ve had a few remaps and heard all the sales nonsense. bottom line is you won’t get more economy and power out of the same map. if that was possible vauxhall would have done it.
if you want more power you have to dump more fuel in . and if you want more economy youll end up with less power.
not that i’m against remapping.

·
Premium Member
4,772 Posts
@Car bike mechanic will want to chime in here

The 120 is alright as it is but will remap pretty high, up to 180 I think. Economy will be better as it removes the emissions stranglehold to an extent
i fail to see how you can gain 60bhp and use less fuel. unless you intend remapping , then driving around like an old woman, in which case the whole process is a waste of time.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got a more flexible engine with much more power and no change in fuel consumption but emissions were quite a bit higher and getting it through the MOT was touch and go. I found this engine is much sweeter.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
The economy map tends to find a happy medium between power and consumption, the 180bhp is just an example. I think the economy maps are around 140-160. You don't have to drive it too lightly to get the benefits of giving it less revs to reach a certain speed by using lower gears earlier.

The key is lifting the restraints imposed on emissions at the factory to get it through whatever tests and approval It needed to run in multiple countries, different laws and different fuel grades etc.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the " bi-sequential" turbo set up in my 535d ( to give it its correct title).
And its mapped,and it's not really that complex.
It is developed to get away from single,variable vane turbos ,and their turbo lag.
It has a small turbo supplying boost from a about 1100 revs to 2500 revs,whereby from about 2300 revs it is already PRE SPOOLING up the large turbo ready for the cut over to large turbo power only.
It's true it has some extra boost pipes and an extra turbo,plenty extra vacuum lines and an extra solenoid or two ,but essentially no more difficult to work on.
Getting back to mapping ,,,,,,,
Just do it,you will get a more powerful,drivable engine ,with grunts more torque.
Ultimately it IS possible to get more mpg with more BP via a chip ,
Due to being able to run higher gears for longer without labouring the engine,
Thus travelling at the same speed in a higher gear using less revs ,
Hence using less fuel,all being equal.
However there is no doubt you could use more fuel if you blat it about everywhere.
Full on ECU maps or even tuning boxes are definitely not snake oil lol.
They do what they claim to do.
I forgot to mention also that the bi-sequential set ups use two fixed vane turbos for much much better reliability too!
At least they do on my BM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers guys, a few opinions there. I’m thinking initially get some miles under my belt then do some sums to see how it adds up its the 120 so shouldn’t be too bad in the power dept. It was mainly the Mpg improvement I was looking for but then started seeing the huge power boosts and maybe got too excited. It won’t be fully laden often so the power isn’t so important and I generally drive like a granny so will see what I get mpg wise then take it from there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts