Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Got a bit off an issue with local garage, got a 2001 vectra 1.8, just had cambelt done at garage, and all was well for about three minutes until i put foot down, then oil and engine management light came on, also its ticking at the top end, thats gets louder the warmer the engine gets, was misfireing a couple of times up hill, now garage said it was ticking when i brought it in, but it certainly wasnt!! car did judder then as i say both oil and management light comes on, anyone know what this could be? tooth slipped perhaps?

·
Respect mah authoritah!
4,994 Posts
what ever you do, not not use for drive this car. was it just the cambelt you had done or did you have it serviced as well. the reason its tapping is because there is no or little oil getting to your cylinder head, if you continue to use it your destroy your tappets and the cams will also sieze writing off your engine. the oil is prob on cus there is not enough oil inside the engine.

when was its last oil change?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah guys, its back at the garage, got it transported at my expense, oil level is fine, but not heard from them yet, they said it was always ticking, but it wasnt, they doing a code read and inspecting belt, but as yet not heard nothing, but even if it was ticking, why would it judder then both oil and engine management come on, could it be their fault, or am i just unlucky, and yes it was serviced too guys

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
car did judder then as i say both oil and management light comes on, anyone know what this could be? tooth slipped perhaps?
Tooth slip wouldn't cause the oil light to come on. Assuming there was correct amount of oil in the engine, it sounds like a garage ****-up occured during the belt replacement. Either something went wrong or some complication during the belt change, which ended up with some remedial work (bodge-up) that they haven't revealed to you. And the end result is your problem.

The situation sounds serious with judder, oil light and ticking noise, and needs thoughtful investigation. And I'd think twice about entrusting thoughtful investigation to a garage!! Consequently if it were mine I'd cut my losses and do it myself.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update.
Got car back, apparently cam belt is fine and not slipped (so they say) but did point out that one of the wheels an idle thingy that the belt goes round, when changed the nut had sheared of, so they redrilled and applyed correct torque, they cleared management light, various things but none to do with cambelt, but still ticking, but they said it hadnt slipped, this was a vauxhall main dealer service cambelt, and im really not happy, cos ive been charged a further 90 pounds for code read and to investigate. but no oil or management light came on on the way home, but still ticking... i just dont know

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Update.
Got car back, apparently cam belt is fine and not slipped (so they say) but did point out that one of the wheels an idle thingy that the belt goes round, when changed the nut had sheared of, so they redrilled and applyed correct torque,
If I've understood it correctly the nut (or was it a bolt?) was either sheared off whilst they had it the last time or that's when they discovered it. If the former presumably it wasn't sheared before they touched it and one can only conclude it must have been sheared during their last investigation. On the other hand if the latter the damage must have been evident or caused on the initial belt change. Again, it sounds like some sort of ****-up during the initial belt change.

If I were a betting man, perhaps I'd put a bob or two on them stripping the nut or bolt thread during the initial repair. The engine was started, the tensioner slipped due to stripped nut or bolt resulting in a permanent ticking consequence.

As for £90 for a code read, you can get a code reader for less than that!

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
i would almost bet they had twisted the oil filter housing , apparently common on the later 1.8s , this could then result in loss of oil pressure , then the tappets start rattling , the knock sensor detects it & throws up an eml .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.