Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a X reg (2000) 2.5 V6 Sri Vectra, but it didn't come with a manual. Anyone know where i can download a free PDF/Ebook version of the manual?

I've tried vauxhall's site, but in their ignorance, they only bother to make manuals for the latest version of the vectra available for download. Haynes don't do a manual for the 2.5 V6 version of the vectra either.

The main reason i currently need 1, is because i need to disable the ABS in my car for safetly reasons by taking the fuse out. But i don't know which fuse it is. If anyone knows which fuse relates to the ABS for this version of the vectra, it would be great if you could let me know!

Cheers.

p.s....

If anyone thinks removing the ABS fuse is not a good idea, trust me it is! ABS is dangerous. It might allow you to steer while breaking, but takes far longer to stop you and i'm not having nanny state technology taking over control of my car from me. I need to know that when i need to stop FAST, i can. I've had a couple of near accidents before in a previous vectra due to the ABS, and i'm not taking any risks with this new car. If you need to steer to avoid an obstacle, you can just lift of the breaks momentarilly and stamp repeatedly. Anyone with an ounce of driving skill is better of without ABS. Although for the thick majority of the public, ABS probably makes them safer as they wouldn't think to stamp on the brakes and would just plough straight into an obstacle without thinking to lift of the brakes. Hence why, ABS is installed on most cars. But i don't want it on mine!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in the fuse box above the abs unit under the bonnet
F4. 60A Anti-Lock Bracking system (ABS), Traction Control System (TCS)

Are you sure thats not for the new Vectras, rather than the 95-02 ones? Because that is what it said on the manual i downloaded from vauxhall which was for the new vectras only. I found the fuse in question underneath the dashboard on the drivers side. Fuse number 35. The problem is is also disables traction control and the speedometer :mad:. I need those to both work!!

If you weren't referring to the new vectras, are you saying there are 2 fuses for the ABS? One under the dash and one under the bonnet? But that will still disable Traction control wont it? Can anyone advise me as to an easy alternative way to disable the ABS, without disabling anything else aswell?

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for taking the time to scan and post that. Very useful! Although in my last post a few mins ago i said i'd actually found out which 1 it was lol. Good general info for future ref though. My main problem now as i said is how to disable the ABS, without disabling the traction control and speedometer which i need and which are on the same fuse :-s.

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
disabling the abs on an abs equiped car is dangerous and should not be done,ok the brakes work ok but as the abs no longer works your brakes have no modulation,if you were to be in a situation where you need to brake hard in a bend you have a very good chance your rear wheels will lock up,and this will cause the back end to slide out and in an uncontrolable slide,hopefully not killing either yourself,your passengers or an innoent pedrestian,i know from experience but luckily i was going at a slow speed and tere was no one to my right so this time i avoide an accident,plus your insurance will be invalid.

so all i can say is
DONT DO IT

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
oh if you dont want abs you must remove all the abs items including the sensors,abs unit and change the parts to a non abs setup,you will need modulators for the rear brake set up,if you dont do this the car will fail the mot,and you cannot disable the abs and not have traction control as both are through the abs unit.

to be honest i would not buy a car without abs,in 99% of the time there wil be little difference between the 2 braking systems,it would only be on a dry day with a very good road that an abs equiped car would be at a slight disadvantage,in most situations with our weather abs would be of a big advantage

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Are you sure thats not for the new Vectras, rather than the 95-02 ones?
i was going by this picture i found on the internet,it looks like a vectra b to me,but it never said if it was a vectra b or vectra c,lol

"UNDER BONNET FUSE & RELAY LOCATION"

F1. 60A Fascia Fuse Box/Relay Plate 1, Ignition Switch
F2. 60A Alarm System, Fascia Fuse Box Plate 1
F3. 60A Combination Switch,daytime running lamps, fascia plate fuse box plate 1, headlight high beam, headlamp switch, immobilizer, multifunction control module
F4. 60A Anti-Lock Bracking system (ABS), Traction Control System (TCS)
F5. 60A Secondary air injection (AIR) System
F6. 60A Engine Management, Fuses F56 & F59 - DIESEL
F6. 20A Engine Management, Fuses F56 & F59 - PETROL

i like having ABS myself,so i've never tried finding the fuses or relays to stop it working :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
disabling the abs on an abs equiped car is dangerous and should not be done,ok the brakes work ok but as the abs no longer works your brakes have no modulation,if you were to be in a situation where you need to brake hard in a bend you have a very good chance your rear wheels will lock up,and this will cause the back end to slide out and in an uncontrolable slide,hopefully not killing either yourself,your passengers or an innoent pedrestian,i know from experience but luckily i was going at a slow speed and tere was no one to my right so this time i avoide an accident,plus your insurance will be invalid.

so all i can say is
DONT DO IT
I'm not saying removing it doesn't have disadvantages, but the safety disadvantages are outweighed by the advantages. And as i explained in my 1st post, you can stop the wheels from locking up by applying advanced breaking techniques (well advanced to most people). It's simply a matter of timing your braking correctly and stamping on the brakes repeatedly rather than just once. That is a habit i instinctively have, but using that with ABS makes them EVEN MORE ineffective than if you just stamped on them once and hard. But as i said, your average driver is maybe safer with ABS as they lack the knowledge on how to break effectively whilst still being able to steer. I was in a car crash in my early inexperienced days of driving which would have been prevented by ABS, so if anyone should be supporting it, it's me. However, i have since learnt effective breaking skills and i have had more close calls CAUSED by ABS since then, and no examples of where it prevented an accident.

And how do you figure it will invalidate insurance? They would surely have to have in the small print a clause about that. If they tried to say it invalidated ur insurance on more general safety grounds, then i would happily take them to court to prove them wrong. And if no ABS invalidated insurance, then surely cars without ABS would be uninsurable?! I will add thought that an ABS light does ludicrously constitute and MOT failure, but that would only come up if you'd removed the fuse and therefore you could simply put it back in temporarily for the MOT.

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
I'm not saying removing it doesn't have disadvantages, but the safety disadvantages are outweighed by the advantages. And as i explained in my 1st post, you can stop the wheels from locking up by applying advanced breaking techniques (well advanced to most people). It's simply a matter of timing your braking correctly and stamping on the brakes repeatedly rather than just once. That is a habit i instinctively have, but using that with ABS makes them EVEN MORE ineffective than if you just stamped on them once and hard. But as i said, your average driver is maybe safer with ABS as they lack the knowledge on how to break effectively whilst still being able to steer. I was in a car crash in my early inexperienced days of driving which would have been prevented by ABS, so if anyone should be supporting it, it's me. However, i have since learnt effective breaking skills and i have had more close calls CAUSED by ABS since then, and no examples of where it prevented an accident.

And how do you figure it will invalidate insurance? They would surely have to have in the small print a clause about that. If they tried to say it invalidated ur insurance on more general safety grounds, then i would happily take them to court to prove them wrong. And if no ABS invalidated insurance, then surely cars without ABS would be uninsurable?! I will add thought that an ABS light does ludicrously constitute and MOT failure, but that would only come up if you'd removed the fuse and therefore you could simply put it back in temporarily for the MOT.
i do know how to brake using i think is called cadence braking and yes i have used it,there are times where you will not have time to this so if you disconnect the abs system you are now driving a dangerous car,your insurance will be invalid as you have removed a safety item and in doing so modified the car,i do not know how you can say abs is dangerous as i have been driving for over 20 years owning several vehicles with and without abs,i would not buy a car without abs as it is an important safety device.
how can you say the benefits of not having abs outwiegh the benifits of having abs.that is a load of crap as there is only 2 benefits of not having abs,1-better braking in the dry,2-less to go wrong,there are loads of reasons why abs is a very important safety item and has saved many lives over the years.also i hope im not near your car when driving as your car will no longer be safe,if you dont want abs you must remove all the components and fit brake modulators as your brakes will not be safe as the rears will lock up easily,and a rear wheel skid is nearly imposible to control and that is also proved by the police drivers

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi guys the great abs debate goes on,can anyone tell me where i find the abs pump as ive been informed that is now the cause of my vibration and humming noise and abs light on sometimes.Ive contacted a place that refurb abs pumps as a new one could cost £700 and they need parts number.

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
you can miss it,it is on the passenger side of the engine bay just above the gearbox,it will have a load of metal pipes going into it,it is under a fuse box/relay box behind the battery

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i do know how to brake using i think is called cadence braking and yes i have used it,there are times where you will not have time to this so if you disconnect the abs system you are now driving a dangerous car,your insurance will be invalid as you have removed a safety item and in doing so modified the car,i do not know how you can say abs is dangerous as i have been driving for over 20 years owning several vehicles with and without abs,i would not buy a car without abs as it is an important safety device.
how can you say the benefits of not having abs outwiegh the benifits of having abs.that is a load of crap as there is only 2 benefits of not having abs,1-better braking in the dry,2-less to go wrong,there are loads of reasons why abs is a very important safety item and has saved many lives over the years.also i hope im not near your car when driving as your car will no longer be safe,if you dont want abs you must remove all the components and fit brake modulators as your brakes will not be safe as the rears will lock up easily,and a rear wheel skid is nearly imposible to control and that is also proved by the police drivers
Ok, if your in a situation where you don't have time to use the cadence breaking system because you're coming straight towards an obstacle and are about to hit it, then your impact is likely to be worse with abs as you will have reduced your speed by a lesser extent by the time you have hit it. Thats assuming you can't steer to avoid it. If you could steer to avoid it & you have enough time to steer, then you have enough time to take your foot of the brake aswell to avoid them locking up.

If your rear brakes locked up and sent you into a spin, then i know from experience you can regain control by taking you foot off the brake and stamping on it in a similar method to the cadence one you described, but not as frequently (more like 1 stamp per second), coupled with corrective steering whilst not on the brakes.

Whatever arguments you come up with for ABS being safer, maybe you wont understand how dangerous it can be until you've been in a situation where you really need to stop quickly to avoid hitting something you can't steer to avoid, or going somewhere like off the EDGE OF A CLIFF like i nearly did a couple of weeks back in the snow due to ABS, but no matter how hard you press on the brake, control to stop quickly is being taken away from you by dangerous technology that is being FORCED upon you and that with every hundreth of a second that passes your desperation for the car to JUST STOP becomes more and more extreme! I would be fine with ABS if there was an option to disable it on the dashboard like you can with traction control, then the less competent drivers can keep it on till their hearts content. And don't use the argument that if ur in that situation, then you must have been going too fast because that is an extremely simplistic way of thinking which doesn't take into account the huge different range of scenarios which could lead to that situation.

I tested out my abs continuosly over the recent snowy period and was shocked by how long the car took to stop in snow. My passengers were also extremely shocked. And this was just slush, not ice. Apart from the cliff situation it happened on several other occasions re-inforcing my argument that ABS is even more dangerous than i thought it was before. A car travelling at less than 10 mph should not take 5 seconds to stop, but that is what was happening. Even at 1mph the abs was still messing about and interfering to "gradually" slow the car to a stop. I later drove down the same stretch at the same speed and in same conditions with ABS off and it took less than 2 seconds to stop. And don't say it must be a problem with my car as i have had 3 cars with abs and have had issues like this with all of them. 2 vectras and 1 nissan almera. Both the vectras were bad on this. Maybe some abs systems are better than others or vectras are particularly bad, but it still remains regardless, that the principal and the physical facts of ABS in theory, aswell as practice, demonstrate a danger.

Also you may have been driving for 20 years but that doesn't tell us how much experience you have. Someone who has driven for 7 years would be a more experienced driver than someone who has driven for 21 years if they had say 5 times the annual mileage. I drove 50,000 miles just in my 1st 2 years of driving, and had driven on every single one of the 68 motorways in Great Britain by the age of 21. Throughout all that time, and over the years and tens of thousands of more miles since, I have experienced countless situations where either ABS almost caused, or lack of ABS prevented accidents.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ABS bad???!!!!.......Don't think so!!!

Thanks for taking the time to scan and post that. Very useful! Although in my last post a few mins ago i said i'd actually found out which 1 it was lol. Good general info for future ref though. My main problem now as i said is how to disable the ABS, without disabling the traction control and speedometer which i need and which are on the same fuse :-s.
MMMMMMM...... first of all, I agree, disabling the ABS is very very bad. 35 years in the motor industry and I have NEVER come across any test which proved ABS is a hindrance more than a help, utter rubbish. ABS is fitted for safety, if you are such a brilliant driver who quotes cadence braking etc then why would you be in a situation where you would need to brake that hard, surely taking effective observation of the road and pre-empting situations, as the Advanced School of Motoring teach, would help you avoid such things. Unless you drive like a twot at ouch miles per hour everywhere.

In query to your statement above though, why do you still need traction control if you are such a good driver? or is that so you can still beat the boy racers off the lights!!!:shake Tut tut.

I'm sorry to come across as being offish but some people will read your post and be taken in by your twoddle. If you can post a link to a threat which substanciates your claim then please post it and I can pass it on to those who develop advanced braking systems at Brembo or Professor Nacer Kouider M’Sirdi at Laboratoire des Sciences de l'Information et des Systèmes, Polytechnique Universitaire de Marseille.

One more thing, Would you get on a plane that didn't have ABS.......:think

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MMMMMMM...... first of all, I agree, disabling the ABS is very very bad. 35 years in the motor industry and I have NEVER come across any test which proved ABS is a hindrance more than a help, utter rubbish. ABS is fitted for safety, if you are such a brilliant driver who quotes cadence braking etc then why would you be in a situation where you would need to brake that hard, surely taking effective observation of the road and pre-empting situations, as the Advanced School of Motoring teach, would help you avoid such things. Unless you drive like a twot at ouch miles per hour everywhere.

In query to your statement above though, why do you still need traction control if you are such a good driver? or is that so you can still beat the boy racers off the lights!!!:shake Tut tut.

I'm sorry to come across as being offish but some people will read your post and be taken in by your twoddle. If you can post a link to a threat which substanciates your claim then please post it and I can pass it on to those who develop advanced braking systems at Brembo or Professor Nacer Kouider M’Sirdi at Laboratoire des Sciences de l'Information et des Systèmes, Polytechnique Universitaire de Marseille.

One more thing, Would you get on a plane that didn't have ABS.......:think
Yet another childish sarcastic comment to deal with I see, most likely written by someone who is far too easily taken in by the supposed benefits new nanny state technology is supposed to bring us without using their brain and properly thinking it through logically. Perhaps the reason you have not come accross any test showing ABS has disadvantages is that it should be blindingly obvious to anyone with a decent amount of logic and common sense that a system that applies less brake pressure per second is going to take longer to stop a vehicle!

Perhaps you have also not read all my posts in full or actually taken in what i said, but if you had bothered to do so, you would have seen that i accept abs can potentially have advantages for many drivers, but it also has disadvantages. Whether those advantages outweigh the disadvantages will depend on the skill of the individual driver. And by the way, when i say skilled, i don't mean that bunch of snobbish "shufflers" who claim to be advanced drivers because of their little institution (don't make me laugh! Most likely anything but! lol), i mean real drivers who apply common sense to situations, drive in an appropriate manner for conditions, and don't blindly follow rules and speed limits to the Nth degree, unlike many of the easily led cattle in our society seem to do these days, (such as our last poster possibly), largely as a result of government brainwashing .

Anyway, the bottom line like i said is that ABS should be optional and be able to be switched on and off at will. It is entirely unacceptable to force such a technology on all drivers simply because of the stupidity of a minority who may switch it off when they actually need it. In that case it's their own fault and the rest of us should not suffer because of their stupidity. Issues like these at the end of the day are very clear and philisophical in nature. Obviously issues beyond the grasp of people like the last poster. With regards to Traction control which DOES have an option to turn it on and off in all cars i've driven, this can also be a valuable tool in many situations, and not so in others.

Anyone with intelligence should know this, unlike our last poster given his sarcastic comment no doubt written due to him having a lack of a decent argument...

"In query to your statement above though, why do you still need traction control if you are such a good driver? or is that so you can still beat the boy racers off the lights!!!:shake Tut tut. "

Rather childish.
And as for this one....

"if you are such a brilliant driver who quotes cadence braking etc then why would you be in a situation where you would need to brake that hard"...

What narrow minded comment! Perhaps if you had the masses of driving expericence that I do and had driven on all of Great Britain's 68 motorways as i have, and in just about every city in the UK, aswell as driving abroad, you would realise that there are potentially an infinate number of different situations where that could potentially become an issue. For example, i don't know about our last poster, but most human beings have 2 eyes. This means for a moment every few seconds we must take our eyes off the road to check mirrors for example. It only takes a moment for an incident to develop!

Anyway, as i'm a mature individual, there will be no further personal diggs from me other than the ones already made to counter the ones made against me, but on a more serious note, you asked for evidence, so here are a couple of videos demonstrating the disadvantages of ABS. Despite the main thrust of them being to state how positive ABS is, they are actually proving the dangers at the same time! In the 1st video watch between 4:18 & 4:21. The car takes 3 seconds to stop without ABS. But if you watch from 4:30 to 4:35, it takes 2 seconds LONGER to stop with ABS!. And in the 2nd video is an expert being forced to admit it takes longer to stop with ABS despite all it's potential wonders it's meant to bring to ur average dumb joe. I mean at the end of the day, a switch to activate and deactivate ABS should be on all cars. While a technology is in use which has disadvantages, there is no excuse for not providing the option to switch it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR1SSxpKitE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2vHkx-8Bdk&feature=related

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have read this discusion and it took me no nearer to my goal... my abs has been making a vibrating noise and it has taken me two weeks of investigating to find out what fuse to pull to disable the abs and only the abs my vectra is a 2000 x plate sri 130 and i thought i had it but i was wrong can someone tell me where it is pleeese :shame:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.