Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after lots of no luck what-so-ever with fitting another Vectra headunit, I got an aftermarket one as an early B-day prezzie from my bro.

It's a Sony tape headunit, with a 10 disc multichanger. Now, this worked perfectly fine in his Rover for a couple of years, until he took it out when he sold it on.

It's been sat in our house for the past couple of months, so he gave it to me.

I got an ISO lead form Halfrauds, plugged it in, and as soon as I plugged it in, I could hear the tape drive mechanism click.
However, when pressing the on button, nowt happens.

No light, no nothing. This was yesterday, so replaced the ISO lead with another one from halfrauds, and still nowt.

Any ideas? Checked all fuses, and if I plug the OE headunit in, it's got power to it.

·
aka wallop
945 Posts
firstly, did you try switching the sony on with the ign on? even if you have the switched and constant lives reversed it should still switch on when the ign is in the run position,(ign lights on)...

check the switched feed is actually going live, if not it is fused in the cars fuse box...

here's a link to vaux stereo loom connections inc advice on switching the ign & constant lives to match the vaux loom...
http://www.akirwan.freeserve.co.uk/akhow2/ice.rtf

HTH

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup - tried switching the sony on with the ignition turned off, turned on, and with engine running. All resulted in no power to the headunit.

There were no bullet connectors in the back of the Sony headunit.

Will check the car fuses, but if one was blown, wouldn't this mean that the standard headunit would not work either?

·
aka wallop
945 Posts
are you connecting sony headunit direct to vaux loom, or are you using the sony to iso interface lead,(comes with sony unit and should have bullet connectors in the red & yellow leads)...if connecting direct to sony headunit with vaux iso loom, the wiring may be wrong, would need to check wiring of sony unit against vaux loom to ensure wiring is compatable,(from memory i don't think it is)...

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got an ISO lead from Halfords, which is marked as being for Vauxhall.
Should work in theory, as my mate has the same ISO lead in his '99 Vectra.

You're correct - the standard wiring on the Vectra loom, differ's to Sony's wiring.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This gets weirder...

Right. Any vauxhall headunit I have, has power to it. Just none seem to work, as they just display the word "Safe" on the dash. No option of entering a code at all (Yes, tried the AS button, etc, etc)!

Any aftermarket headunit I've tried so far, you can hear the unit power on, but nothing else.
No lights, no display, nothing.

Now, we tried both my Sony unit I got, and another Sony headunit my mate had, in his Vectra and mine. Both units work in his, but they don't work in mine!

Is it possible for the ECU to lock out any of the headunits from working?

Tried every which way of plugging in the Vauxhall and Sony headunits, but none seem to work in my car!

Such a shame, as I have a CCR600 tape headunit, and 6CD Changer to go in the car too!!!

·
REALITY ASYLUM
2,413 Posts
on my CDX it's a strange set up.
You have the Vauxhall loom ending in ISO plugs, then you have an ISO to ISO adapter which plugged into the headunit and cd changer.
I took the vauxhall headunit out and plugged in a aftermarket one (Mutant in this case).
Normally you'd have to swap the red and yellow over as stated before but the ISO to ISO adapter seems to have done this for you.

It's a strange set up.

ALSO something i've noticed is the ISO plugs are very prone to pushing out a wire from the plug. A couple of times when switching the head units over (i have several cars and one head unit so was swapping them around a bit) i've had to push a wire back into the plug, check it out because that caused a power but no life problem.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone know, though, why any aftermarket headunit i plug in won't work, and why all Vauxhall head units seem to just display the message "Safe" on the dash???

I miss my tunes! :(

·
Qualified lego bricklayer
9,180 Posts
Anyone know, though, why any aftermarket headunit i plug in won't work, and why all Vauxhall head units seem to just display the message "Safe" on the dash???

I miss my tunes! :(
Sounds like the switched live isn't working (and thus not allowing you to enter the code when pressing the AS button as the same time as the on / off button). What happens if you piggy back a wire from the permenant live to the switched live contact on the back of the Vaux head unit?

·
Up For The Craic
11,050 Posts
With ignition on is there power in both the red (pin 8) and black (pin 2) wires on the car loom?

Red is permanent 12v battery and black in ignition which turns the headunit on and off with the ignition.

I am not sure of the Sony connections!

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Hi does the cig lighter work as this is usually on the same circuit as the switched live
regards
Steve

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fuses are fine.

No. 36 is for the Ciggy Lighter, and it's intact.

Also checked 34 -CD changer according to Haynes, and it also says it's supposed to be a 20A fuse, but there's a 10A in there (still intact, as there's been no changer in the car - I do have one I wanna put in though).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts