Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Vauxhall Vectra DTI 2.0 (2000 model) has started to go into limp mode once the car hits 75 - 80mph and the (money) ecu light comes on.

We pull over turn the ignition off then back on and it is okay again. I know people will say stop driving at 80 mph, but there is obviously a fault and a reason why it is doing this.

I went to Vauxhall and they quoted £65 + vat just to plug tech 2 into the cars diagnostic port. I thought I would look at forums at possible faults people have encountered instead of Vauxhall taking me to the cleaners saying it could be this and that and the fault still not being sorted.

I have been told it could be the MAF air sensor, its not that I'm sure because the car is okay accelerating and its power etc. Other people have said it could be the vacuum lines that go around the car to the turbo, various solenoids and to the EGR valve in front of the cylinder head they all look alright. When I remove any vacuum pipe from a solenoid or turbo, the ecu light comes on at the dash, so I am thinking the vacuum tubes are all okay.

I removed the EGR valve and the thick breather pipe that comes from the intercooler to the front of the cylinder head, a lot of oil like substance was in there. I sprayed injection air intake cleaner into to the intake at the front of the engine and removed the thick black dust build up from the EGR valve. Today I took it onto the motorway and the ECU light came on again at 75-80 mph.

I took the EGR out again to have a look, it was really thick again with black dust but no oil this time.

Also when you accelerate between 2000-3000rpm there is a hissing leak type sound coming from the front of the car, the cat and exhaust have been checked and they are okay. The turbo has no sign of leakage and whistles okay as normal.

The car has done 104,000 miles since we have had it 7 years ago.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

LEE KENDALL

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Hi once you have checked all the vacumn pipes around the engine most of the time 99% infact its the MAF
regards
Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve for quick reply.

If its the MAF, why does it only affect it at 80 mph and not elsewhere in the rev or speed range ?

Cheers

Lee

·
Registered
47 Posts
Had the same probelm with mine! The same car aswell!

It was the vacum seal on the fuel injector that was split.

Car went slow after hitting 70 then was ok after restart. The fuel injectors werent kicking in properly at high speeds because of the split.

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vacuum Tube

Had the same problem with my DTI, ECU light coming on around 4000rpm, It turned out to be the vacuum tube attached to the turbo waste gate had a small crack in the rubber sleeve

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Changed the MAF, no difference.

Checked all the Vacuum hoses around the waste gate and all the solenoids, all seem okay. No leaks or splits.

Any more options please.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to me, I was driving on the motorway, doing about 80mph, ECU light came on, no loss of power or anything though, but I pulled off the motorway when I could, switched off engine and waited a few minutes, switched engine back on, light still there !
So I rang round a few local garages, got one to read ECU codes for me (cost £30), faults came-up as; immobiliser, unknown fault and 02 sensor fault, garage reset ECU and said it could have been some dirt on sensors, and they said if ECU light came on again they would read codes again (free), and if it showed 02 sensor again, then the Lambda probes (or 02 sensors) front or back, would need changing, as he said, if the Lambda probes fail completely, the engine loses power and goes into limp mode and consumes fuel at a high rate. Anyway, the ECU light came on again a couple of days later, again on the motorway doing about 80mph, took it back to same garage, read codes again, and 02 sensor fault showing again, so garage is getting the 2 Lambda probes (02 sensors) for me and will change the faulty one.
So, it might be a good idea to ring round a few local garages to see how much they'll charge to read your ECU codes, it might save you a lot of time trying to eliminate everything else. HTH

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vectra Diesels do not have Lambada sensors.

Looks like I will have to get a fault reader or something.

Cheers

Lee

1 - 8 of 8 Posts