Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Stupid fuel pump has packed up on my 1999 T Reg Vectra. Its a 2.0 DTi, and the price of a diesel pump from dealers is about £1900. :boff

If that wasnt enough to render you with a heart attack im now hearing that theres a few different type of pumps and the 1 i get has to be the exact 1 to the 1 i have fitted. :shake

BUT........ is there any way i can get the Bosch part number from mine without having to get it taken out from the car first? I know it sounds silly but it just saves me a lot of hassle not to have the car sit in a garage for weeks on end whilst i attempt to find the right pump?

Or can some one tell me which pump could be fitted to this model Vectra please?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
The Bosch number is stamped onto the machined flat area on the front face of the pump (facing the radiator). It starts "0470", for example mine is "0470504004". A torch and a small mirror should be all you need.

You're right about needing to get the exact same numbered pump, not to mention that sometimes the pump is also coded to the ECU (because of the immobiliser?) and a replacement pump will sometimes need to be coded to suit.

When mine failed (sensor fault) I sent it to www.dieselbob.co.uk and they offered me a repair at £270 or a full reconditioning at £620. Because the pump also had excessive mechanical wear I went for the more expensive option. They can also take care of the pump/ECU coding by either repairing and returning your old pump or by configuring the replacement pump to match.

Out of interest, what are the symptoms you're getting with your car?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Out of interest, what are the symptoms you're getting with your car?

Thanks for the reply MisterT, gives me some hope that i might not get bent over by the dealers or any 1 else charging me what ever they like to fix it.

Ever since we bought the car about a year ago the engine management light has sometimes been coming on, usually when the steering wheel was on full lock or something silly like that. But it would usually go out so i put it down to a sensor fault.

But about 2 weeks ago my brother was driving the car and from what he tells me he went to change from 4th to 5th gear and the car cut out on him and the engine management light came on at the same time. The car has never cut out like this before. But apparently he couldnt start it up again. Naturally i thought he had snapped the timing belt or something. My uncle, whose an ex-mechanic, looked at it and determined there was no diesel actually getting to the engine, and after speaking to several garages they all say its the pump.

Car has been sat for 2 weeks and will not start. Do you think it could be something else thats been overseen? As from what iv heard the diesel pump on most Vauxhall's is a "common" problem?

Cheers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Bosch number is stamped onto the machined flat area on the front face of the pump (facing the radiator). It starts "0470", for example mine is "0470504004".
Yeah iv narrowed mine to being to being either 4004 or 4011. But in all honesty theres no 1 out there who can confirm it from just the model and year, not even Vauxhall themselves. This is really annoying as it makes you wonder if Vauxhall were actually just chucking any pump in any car.

A torch and a small mirror should be all you need.

This is gona sound daft, but where abouts under the engine am i actually looking?

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
This is gona sound daft, but where abouts under the engine am i actually looking?
The pump is fitted to the front-facing side of the engine on the left hand side.

In the picture above, immediately below the white and black plastic blanking plugs you will see a machined area with numbers/letters stamped into it - you'll find your "0470" number there. [Obviously you'll have the fuel supply and return pipes on yours instead of the plastic blanking plugs].

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Ever since we bought the car about a year ago the engine management light has sometimes been coming on, usually when the steering wheel was on full lock or something silly like that. But it would usually go out so i put it down to a sensor fault.
I agree with you. This sounds like an unrelated fault, probably something to do with the vacuum system. I'd doubt that this will prevent your car from starting.

the car cut out on him and the engine management light came on at the same time. The car has never cut out like this before. But apparently he couldnt start it up again.
This could well be a pump fault (mine failed just like this) but it might be worth ruling out an air leak in the fuel supply first because the slightest air leak will prevent this pump from drawing fuel.

Did the garage use a plug-in diagnostic tool to read the ECU's stored fault codes? If so, do you know what the codes were?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did the garage use a plug-in diagnostic tool to read the ECU's stored fault codes? If so, do you know what the codes were?
Afraid not, the garage never used any equipement to read any of the fault codes. When my brother went there was also a Zafira and two Astra's in the garage that needed new pumps, hence why he was told it was a common problem and thats what it was most surely going to be.

I was gona try to read the fault codes myself over the weekend by using the paperclip method but iv read in another thread here that it doesnt work on diesels.

Can any one confirm this?

·
Registered
48 Posts
DEFINATELY get it plugged in to tech2 first! as said, air leaaks on the fuel system on these are a biatch and this is a much cheaper remedy than the pump, so worth checking first.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DEFINATELY get it plugged in to tech2 first! as said, air leaaks on the fuel system on these are a biatch and this is a much cheaper remedy than the pump, so worth checking first.

So i take it as an air leak would show up as a different code to the fuel pump?

And can i get the codes via the paperclip method?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
You cannot paperclip these cars because they're missing pin-6 on the disgnostic socket. Neither can you use a cheap handheld or laptop code readers - well, if you can I'd love to hear about it. I tried a multi-protocol Geniscan GS400 and that wouldn't work.

Your local garage will probably have one of those SnapOn Solus readers - they will read/erase your codes no problem. Perhaps you can get them to drive by your house and give you a readout, it only takes 5 minutes?

Faults in the vacuum system can generate a number of fault codes but I wouldn't be too worried about them at this stage because they shouldn't stop the engine from running.

I can't think of a fault code you'd get if there was air leaking into the fuel supply though, it simply wouldn't draw any fuel (or very little fuel).

Try disconnecting the fuel supply pipe that feeds the pump at the fuel filter and supply the pump from a can of fresh clean diesel, that will eliminate most of your pipework from the equation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spoke to my brother last night and he said the garage never read the codes but they called an auto electrician to have a look atit. Although he never gave any codes he did confirm it was infact the fuel pump.

So that pretty much nails that then. :(

I also spoke to "Diesel Bob" to see where i can go with it, but unfortunatly they need the Bosch part number before they'll give advice.

Looks like im gona be spending the majority of my weekend uner a car. :cry:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.