Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I changed the front pads on my 05 vectra 1.9 CDTI yesterday and the brake peddle now goes down to the floor. I can get some pressure when I pump but I soon loose it. Its solid before I start the engine. Ive been reading a few forums and I think I may of forced the seals in the master cylinder back and turned them inside out (I didnt use the bleed nipples to release the pressure when i pushed the pistons back).
Anybody else had this issue and if I'm right, is the master cylinder repairable or am I looking at a replacement unit

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
the brake pedal will be solid when the engine is turned off,you might want to push some new brake fluid through the brake system and give it a good bleed.its not a good idea [and I know people do it] to push the pistons back without opening the bleed nipples as this can cause allsorts of problems.the new pads will need running in and sometimes the brake pedal will feel soft.when you do the brake bleeding the method I use is the 2 man,one to do the bleeding and the other to do the brake pedal and always start the farthest away from the master cylinder first.you may have to bleed the clutch cylinder too but leave that till last.----Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave.
The brake fluid looked dirty so I bled the complete system this morning but it made no difference. I did it with the engine turned off! Is that the right way? Its definitely not just a bedding in issue as Ive virtually no brakes and its not safe to drive. Ive changed the pads numerous times before and never had this issue. The more I read on the net the more I think Ive flipped the seal in the master cylinder. (I also didnt take the lid off the reservoir ) I could do with some advice on whether I can re-seat the seal or will I need a replacement unit. Another thing, what they like to fit?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
its a very long time since I have changed a master cylinder unit on a car and never on a Vectra--but I think it should be straight forward and I would be buying a replacement so that it can go straight on,have you a Haynes manual[a lot of people frown on them] but it can give you an idea where to start.its funny but I have been in my garage and have discovered a spare master cylinder[don'tknow when I bought that-must be an age thing].also a lot of owners have had the same problems you are having and have found the braking system to have a leak so you might want to have a look around the system for any leaks before you start buying any further parts.a place to look is where the brake pipes go over the fuel tank[common fault] and I don't think a replacement master cylinder is that expensive--think you will be more cautious the next time you do your brakes----Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the discs are lipped. I thought I would get away with it. Ill get a new set tomorrow and try that first. Im not convinced but its an easy option.

·
14,787 Posts
What happens with the lip is that the pad contacts the lip but when you press the pad harder it then tilts slightly until it contacts the inner part of the disk which is why you have the spongy feel and the long pedal. If the disk is good otherwise I just run an angle grinder round the edge with a flap disk on it by putting the car in first gear and letting the disks turn with the engine running. Just be careful to take no more than the lip away but you can do that in a few minutes and costs next to nothing to sort out - inside and outside of the disk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts