Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with my 58 Vectra C Diesel 1.9: the rear offside side light does not go out even with ignition off and car locked. So, regardless of whether I have switched the lights on/off, it is permanently lit up.

The other lights operate ok - front and remaining rear side lights operate as expected when turned on/off from the dashboard. Likewise the indicators, brake lights,reversing, rear fog, headlights,etc. all act as expected. So I'm thinking the switches are ok?

This has been going on for weeks now - the bulb is not only permanently on, but is brighter than it would normally be. The only way to stop it is to remove the bulb, or disconnect the holder unit. Obviously the rear light unit in the Vectra is designed to compensate by using another bulb if one fails, so I can remove the tail light bulb (3rd one down)and the brake light (2nd down) will function as a tail light. However,that doesn't solve the issue.

I tried:
  • a new bulb, but the problem remains
  • randomly replacing some of the other bulbs in the unit (for example the brake light above it) in case a fault with one of them is somehow causing the tali light bulb to light up. This has no effect
  • inspecting the bulb holder unit but all connections look ok (as far as I can tell)
From the owners manual and online sources it isn't clear which fuse controls that bulb, but I don't think it is a fuse issue anyway - I don't see why it would make the bulb stay on and be brighter.

Does anybody have any suggestions about what i could do to fix this? When it first happened, I was hoping it was just a dodgy bulb/connection, but maybe it isn't that simple.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
some cars have a parking light the rear off side back light all you do is put the indicator on as if you are going to turn right then switch of the ignition off and all the lights make sure your indicator isn't switched on don't know if Vauxhalls do this but cost nowt to check

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I've seen similar comments on some other sites where there were issues a bit like mine.
What would be involved in changing the rear box?

·
Premium Member
11,602 Posts
Are you sure its the side light and not the brake light, 2 reasons, if the brake light bulb is damaged the ECU will use the side light as a brake light, 2nd reason if there is a problem with the brake light fuse the ECU will turn the bulb on permanently.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you sure its the side light and not the brake light, 2 reasons, if the brake light bulb is damaged the ECU will use the side light as a brake light, 2nd reason if there is a problem with the brake light fuse the ECU will turn the bulb on permanently.
Thanks. I'll look into that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is definitely the side light - 3rd one down. 1st one is amber indicator, 2nd is brake/tail light, 3rd is just tail light.
Would there be a ECU code if rear fusebox was faulty? Likewise would any codes be produced if ECU was compensating by lighting up 3rd light to cover something else (fuse issue maybe)?
Does anybody know which fuse covers tail lights?

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
When you removed the normal tail light bulb (3rd down), did the fault move to the 2nd down light backup?

Reactions: oberlisc

·
Premium Member
11,602 Posts
It is definitely the side light - 3rd one down. 1st one is amber indicator, 2nd is brake/tail light, 3rd is just tail light.
Would there be a ECU code if rear fusebox was faulty? Likewise would any codes be produced if ECU was compensating by lighting up 3rd light to cover something else (fuse issue maybe)?
Does anybody know which fuse covers tail lights?
Brake light fuse is the 6th fuse in the end of dashboard fuse box (Passenger side), from page 248 in the link below explains fuses.

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/d...s_manuals/vectra/VectraOwnersManual_Feb07.pdf

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brake light fuse is the 6th fuse in the end of dashboard fuse box (Passenger side), from page 248 in the link below explains fuses.

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/content/d...s_manuals/vectra/VectraOwnersManual_Feb07.pdf
Thanks, I have the owners manual, and I've seen fuse lists on various sites.
Brake lights fuse is indeed number 6 and I have removed and inspected it previously. It seems ok.
But in none of the lists can I see which fuses cover rear side lights, indicators, reversing lights, etc. I'm probably being a bit thick - does anybody know which fuse(s) control the other rear lights?

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Quite a few of the lights don't have their own direct fuses. They are controlled and 'protected' by solid-state switches built into the various electronic control units - which are on fuse-protected supplies.

Reactions: oberlisc

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quite a few of the lights don't have their own direct fuses. They are controlled and 'protected' by solid-state switches built into the various electronic control units - which are on fuse-protected supplies.
Thanks. That would explain it. I wondered if it was something like that.
Would there be any ECU fault codes if it is opting to switch bulb permanently on?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today I tried disconnecting the battery for over 30 mins to try and reset the control units. I tried switching brake light fuse for a new one in case this was somehow affecting stuff.
It may be that the rear control unit is faulty, as suggested before. Is there anyway I could verify that before removing it?
If it had to be replaced, are there any good references on internet for the process?

Thanks for any information

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
The problem is 90% with the REC.
Only other causes for a light stuck on is either a short-circuit in the feed line ~(positive supply) to the light to an unintended 12v supply somewhere in the wiring loom.
Or, something else powered-on has lost its ground (-ve) and found a route to ground via the bulb - unlikely in your case as you say the bulb is bright, such issues usually result in a dim illumination.
I've never had to replace any control units (yet) so I cant give any sure advice on what boxes need 'divorcing' for a donor car (s/h units) or what needs to be paired with the car.

·
13,893 Posts
The REC is coded.

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Unfortunately where the REC is located and if you have had any water getting into the boot area it will cause you problems with your electric's.the Vectra c has a tendancy for getting wet in its rear area-----Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unfortunately where the REC is located and if you have had any water getting into the boot area it will cause you problems with your electric's.the Vectra c has a tendancy for getting wet in its rear area-----Dave
Yeah, funnily enough I sometimes get moisture on the other side (the offside where the problem is). But I couldn't see any obvious issues with the contacts, bulbs, earth, etc.
If the problem is with the REC, I will have to look into how to get a new one.
What sort of equipment is needed to code a donor unit with variables, etc. ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts