Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 1.8 Vectra C's fitted with the dreaded F17 5 speed box. It often crunches into reverse of you don't wait a few seconds/and or put it in first beforehand.

I don't care about this, it's an old car. But to increase it's service life should I undo the fill plug and clean off any fillings? I did once crunch it quite badly after an argument with my Brother-In-Law. Or is the amount of metal mobilised quite limited? It's a bit of messing about, is it worth it? Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to add, I was on the motorway last night, and with the stereo off there's a very very faint whine, it goes when you lift off the throttle. Seems the same in 4th or 5th, most noticeable at around 60. Should I be worried, I know this box isn't particularly reliable? cheers

·
16,492 Posts
Worrying 😟 is not going to do anything about the whine.
If it bothers you get the box reconditioned.

Reactions: Ashely Cook

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Worrying 😟 is not going to do anything about the whine.
If it bothers you get the box reconditioned.
It doesn't really worry me, and it's very slight, I guess I'm just seeking other people's opinions on the matter.

It's not worth spending much on the car sadly, it owes me very little, I'd probably get at least £200 scrap. But equally I'd like an idea of how long I might have if it's on the way out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took it for a drive tonight, couldn't hear anything. I think it's probably OK, would expect it to get worse if it was actually on the way out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts