Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my driverside inner cv boot is split so needs replacing, I've never had to do a inner boot before so I did a google search and found a video on youtube, the bloke claimed there was only 3 bolts that need to be removed (which is fair enough), but he was bleating on about losing oil out of the gearbox, at times he was hard to understand because he decided to have some god awful music track playing over the video even while he was talking.

Anyway he pulled the driveshaft out of the gearbox but no oil came out, was this because of the angle he had the car jacked up or is there like a half shaft the main shaft goes in to.

So anybody got any info on replacing this inner boot.

·
Premium Member
12,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the cone for the stretch one but the J&R site says they don't do them for the Vectra inner it only lists the outer unless because it's universal it will fit both inner and outer. They also want £59 for the driveshaft.

I can get the Inner CV boot from Euro for just under £8 with code WISHLIST99.

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,602 Posts
(y) i would check again with j&r, is it possible to ring and ask them, the boot i got from euro parts wasnt a stretch boot, if ya can get the stretch boot ya wont need to take a cv joint off to get a boot on, if ya do the full shaft, jack the car up has high has ya can on the side ya working on, and no oil should come out, never on mine, i checked the level after

·
Premium Member
12,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(y) i would check again with j&r, is it possible to ring and ask them, the boot i got from euro parts wasnt a stretch boot, if ya can get the stretch boot ya wont need to take a cv joint off to get a boot on, if ya do the full shaft, jack the car up has high has ya can on the side ya working on, and no oil should come out, never on mine, i checked the level after
Cheers Andy I might just give them a ring see what they say, wont be doing it just yet so will weight up the options.

·
Super Moderator
15,602 Posts
its just as easy to change the full shaft if not easier, than just doing the boot, is it clicking at all on full lock, mine was, thats the reason i changed the shaft, plus my shitty circlip pliers wouldnt grip the circlip in the cv joint, yes ya pay a bit extra for the full shaft but ya get a lot for it, i understand the vectras are dearer than the corsa, what if ya did that and come next mot, the outer has ripped, be gutted, lot less mess putting a shaft on than a boot (y)

·
Premium Member
12,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
its just as easy to change the full shaft if not easier, than just doing the boot, is it clicking at all on full lock, mine was, thats the reason i changed the shaft, plus my shitty circlip pliers wouldnt grip the circlip in the cv joint, yes ya pay a bit extra for the full shaft but ya get a lot for it, i understand the vectras are dearer than the corsa, what if ya did that and come next mot, the outer has ripped, be gutted, lot less mess putting a shaft on than a boot (y)
No there is no noise from the outer shaft, I see your reasoning so I'll weight up my options and decide later.

£56.19 for full shaft on ebay from J&R

·
Premium Member
12,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought I'd have a look on the J&R website, a drive shaft is £56.39 (20p more than on their ebay shop), then its postage of no more than £4.99 so that takes it to £61.38, but if I was to buy from ebay it would be £56.19 with Free delivery.

·
Premium Member
12,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oooo whats happening in March/April you dont think we are coming out of Lockdown do you.

·
Super Moderator
15,602 Posts
dont have a heart attack, but plenty to get hold of their, yes ?, i get board banning spammers all day :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
12,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just done a little searching on t-net, the picture below is supposed to be the drivers side drive shaft, looking at the photo it looks like there is a half shaft bolted up and the other end goes in gearbox, so pulling the shaft no oil should leak.

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,602 Posts
i see how it is, if its like that then ya wont get no oil out the box.

was this the video you watched

1 - 20 of 33 Posts