Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK Ladies and Gentleman any help greatly received.

Water pump seized so changed pump along with belt, tensioner and idler pulley as this had melted, car was running perfect before pump failed, car had been stood since last Tuesday until yesterday Saturday the only electrical contact disturbed was the connection to the MAF sensor, belt was very tight and had 199 teeth, the 2 pulleys at the top of the engine had timing marks but they didn't seem to time up, so used a timing kit were you lock the cam by inserting a plunger in a hole in the head behind the pulley and then another tool lines up the bottom crank.

When it was all timed up and we put everything back together the car start after a few turns of the engine (just like if it had been stood for a while), left it ticking over a while no issues idled smooth revved great, so it was getting late so locked it up till Sunday.

Sunday gets in the car and it fired up within 2 seconds of turning over, light came on the dash to say coolant was low, which was fine as very little came out of the water pump when I removed it, so topped it up, car started back up lovely, drove to a local store car was smooth and seemed to accelerate like before, got to the store parked up, car was stood for about 20 minutes, came out again started no problem, drove out of the store on to main road little bit of acceleration then heard what I can only describe as if the belt had split and was slapping as it span, but engine was still running, pulled in to a bus stop and turned the engine off, couple of minutes later tried to start the engine, the engine turns over fast but wont fire, so got neighbour to tow me home.

Tried again to start the engine on the first turn of the key it goes to fire but cuts out and just spins, so took the belt cover off, the belt is still intact and under tension, doesn't look as if its jumped teeth.

Took the EGR valve off hardly any carbon build up, cleaned it out and stripped it down, the plunger on the electrical part moves in and out if you move it by hand, the valve bit moves as well, so put it back together, before I fitted it back to the engine neighbour said he thinks they are supposed to click when you turn the ignition on, well it didn't click, connected it back to the engine, turned the key and again fires then dies doesn't run, so have disconnected the battery as there are no lights on the dashboard.

So anybody have any ideas, touched nothing else but the timing belt, sat in the car turned the ignition on and as normal I hear the pump in the tank priming.

·
Premium Member
13,444 Posts
OK Ladies and Gentleman any help greatly received.

Water pump seized so changed pump along with belt, tensioner and idler pulley as this had melted, car was running perfect before pump failed, car had been stood since last Tuesday until yesterday Saturday the only electrical contact disturbed was the connection to the MAF sensor, belt was very tight and had 199 teeth, the 2 pulleys at the top of the engine had timing marks but they didn't seem to time up, so used a timing kit were you lock the cam by inserting a plunger in a hole in the head behind the pulley and then another tool lines up the bottom crank.

When it was all timed up and we put everything back together the car start after a few turns of the engine (just like if it had been stood for a while), left it ticking over a while no issues idled smooth revved great, so it was getting late so locked it up till Sunday.

Sunday gets in the car and it fired up within 2 seconds of turning over, light came on the dash to say coolant was low, which was fine as very little came out of the water pump when I removed it, so topped it up, car started back up lovely, drove to a local store car was smooth and seemed to accelerate like before, got to the store parked up, car was stood for about 20 minutes, came out again started no problem, drove out of the store on to main road little bit of acceleration then heard what I can only describe as if the belt had split and was slapping as it span, but engine was still running, pulled in to a bus stop and turned the engine off, couple of minutes later tried to start the engine, the engine turns over fast but wont fire, so got neighbour to tow me home.

Tried again to start the engine on the first turn of the key it goes to fire but cuts out and just spins, so took the belt cover off, the belt is still intact and under tension, doesn't look as if its jumped teeth.

Took the EGR valve off hardly any carbon build up, cleaned it out and stripped it down, the plunger on the electrical part moves in and out if you move it by hand, the valve bit moves as well, so pt it back together, before I fitted it back to the engine neighbour said he thinks they are supposed to click when you turn the ignition on, well it didn't click, connected it back to the engine, turned the key and again fires then dies doesn't run, so have disconnected the battery as there are no lights on the dashboard.

So anybody have any ideas, touched nothing else but the timing belt, sat in the car turned the ignition on and as normal I hear the pump in the tank priming.
How long did the last pump last? As I know you always seem to change the pump/belt kit before official guidelines.

·
Premium Member
9,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I bought the car there was paper work saying belt changed 98000 miles so think the water pump was done then, the car is now at 131402 miles so only lasted 33500 miles.

The belt looked fine the pump seizing must of heated the belt which melted the idler pulley.

·
Premium Member
13,444 Posts
When I bought the car there was paper work saying belt changed 98000 miles so think the water pump was done then, the car is now at 131402 miles so only lasted 33500 miles.

The belt looked fine the pump seizing must of heated the belt which melted the idler pulley.
Not long then, if the pump was changed when you think it was. Neither was it something you could have predicted happening. I'm pleased I've just changed mine at 5.5 years old with 45k on the clock.
Hope it's a cheap fix for you, no doubt you should get some tec advice soon.

·
Premium Member
9,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Not long then, if the pump was changed when you think it was. Neither was it something you could have predicted happening. I'm pleased I've just changed mine at 5.5 years old with 45k on the clock.
Hope it's a cheap fix for you, no doubt you should get some tec advice soon.
I want to fix it myself and quick, as need car for my Doctors appointments and Mother having different appointments with her having early stages of Dementia, brothers off work he could take her but hes been told not to drive any great distance as his hip operation recovery isn't progressing as they would like, but then that's my problems.

·
Premium Member
9,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounded like a flap wheel, but then a wonder if is a burst hose on the turbo side it sounded like a put put put put, will look again today but I need to go to my Doctors appointment today.

I looked at a tutorial on another site and it says the injector pump doesn't have to be timed just the Cam and the Crank, is that right

·
11,997 Posts
Pump is not timed.

·
Premium Member
9,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Pump is not timed.
That's what I thought, looked at another thread on here the pump doesn't need to be timed
Oh and the pump in the tank primes, took the feed.pipe to the filter off turned ignition on and a load of fuel came out

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thought I'd give a local Vauxhall dealer a ring see I could get some info, phoned Sherwoods of Stockton which now seems to have changed to Drive, anyway gentleman that answered said oh that's a weird one, he said he'd get one of the Tech's to ring me back, that was 11am this morning, 4pm got a phone call to which the answer was do you want to book it in, no I want some info, so basically the answer was I haven't got a clue you'd have to book it in.

Like I said I'd rather try and fix myself, but if push comes to shove I'll have to tap one of my friends who have garages, but I don't like taking up their time when they could be making money.

·
Premium Member
13,444 Posts
Thought I'd give a local Vauxhall dealer a ring see I could get some info, phoned Sherwoods of Stockton which now seems to have changed to Drive, anyway gentleman that answered said oh that's a weird one, he said he'd get one of the Tech's to ring me back, that was 11am this morning, 4pm got a phone call to which the answer was do you want to book it in, no I want some info, so basically the answer was I haven't got a clue you'd have to book it in.

Like I said I'd rather try and fix myself, but if push comes to shove I'll have to tap one of my friends who have garages, but I don't like taking up their time when they could be making money.
The service has probably gone down the pan too since Sherwoods sold out to Drive. I don't think there's any smaller vaux dealerships left now locally. An end of an era I suppose. I've not used them since. You got it sorted yet?

·
Premium Member
9,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The service has probably gone down the pan too since Sherwoods sold out to Drive. I don't think there's any smaller vaux dealerships left now locally. An end of an era I suppose. I've not used them since. You got it sorted yet?
Not yet mate, mixture of cold weather, rain, not feeling to good, I'll get there in the end.

·
Premium Member
9,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well today was the day decided to try find out why my car wouldn't start, weather bit overcast with the chance of rain, just jacked the car up and my phone went, it was the neighbour who helped me change the timing belt last Saturday and recovered me when I broke down on Sunday, have you done anything to the car I'll be home at 1pm and we'll redo the Timing .

So we went though the process of timing and the belt was 2 teeth out, for some reason it had jumped 2 teeth, no damage to the belt or engine, so undone the tensioner and checked the belt it was OK, so decided to time the engine as is mentioned in the link above using the lines on the belt, (Quite simple when you get your head round it) made sure everything was tight, span the engine over 4 times via bottom crank pulley, everything OK, so put it all back together and started within 2 seconds of turning the key, so fingers crossed its all good will take it for a run tomorrow so watch this space.

·
11,997 Posts
Well at least you found something, hopefully it stays where it is meant to this time round, not the weather to be outside much unless you absolutely have to.

·
Premium Member
9,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well at least you found something, hopefully it stays where it is meant to this time round, not the weather to be outside much unless you absolutely have to.
Well if it does it again its got to be the tensioner.

Been out this morning took a drive to Screwfix in Redcar which is about a 12 mile round trip, starts to make you paranoid when you smell something or think you've heard a strange noise, never went over 60 mph or 2500 rpm, next job is passengerside front wheel bearing getting a bit more noticeable with the humming sound.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread.

·
Premium Member
9,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
55 miles in and still going strong, there is a zzzzz sound could be because new belt.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts