Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In December I got in my Vectra, It turned over but didn't want to fire up.

Called the Mechanic round. Mechanic plugged in computer and it pointed to the ECU, Replace ECU
He checked all the fuses and relays at the back.
He also tested the fuel pump and that was fine.
One thing we noticed was the brake lights being constantly on.
He then suggested that we send off the ECU for testing. The ECU came back with no issues.

I called a second Mechanic round as the first mechanic went as far as he could, and said to get a second opinion.

This mechanic checked the fuse box at the front and mentioned something about power to the injectors.
His opinion was, even thou the ECU came back with no problems, that the only way to get the car going again was to get a new ECU, and said due to the age of the car it wasn't worth it and would be better to sell the car on for parts.

Still determined not to give up, I called the original mechanic back round. He made the suggestion that we might have a broken wire somewhere around the engine wiring loom that goes to ECU. He checked the cables yesterday and could not find anything.

Annoying because it had a refurbished gear box fitted last year and the car was running great. The Vectra has done 115k.

Any other suggestions on what this issue might be or is it the end of the road for the vectra.
Sorry mods for starting a second thread on this.

·
Super Moderator
12,146 Posts
frustrated that ya getting no further forward with it?

will move it to electrical/diagnostics, see if ya get more responses to ya post, will lock ya other thread, no more duplicate threads, ya make the place look untidy :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
13,630 Posts
If the brake lights are staying on then you have a blown fuse or its missing from its holder or put back in the wrong place after removal for checking,etc,.., strangely enough Vauxhall in there infinite wisdom used a fuse that powers the ecu to also put the brake lights on if it blew, its in the UEC fuse number eludes me as i dont have my laptop with me that has Tis on, maybe @Valer could assist.:p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so i have looked at some older posts and i think its fuse F15.
Thank you very much for responding. I would be amazed if this one fuse has caused all these problems, but I will give it a go and let you know how I get on.

·
Super Moderator
25,562 Posts
Thank you very much for responding. I would be amazed if this one fuse has caused all these problems, but I will give it a go and let you know how I get on.
Yes a fuse can do , my dad's Saab 2.3 turbo broke down one summer evening.
Breakdown man couldn't get it going again so it went into the dealer , a blown fuse for the fuel injection system.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I tried the fuse with no luck unfortunately, however on Friday the Mechanic phoned me up and said he visited someone else with a Vectra who faced a similar problem and got it going. Seeing him on Monday so will let you know how he gets on. I'm not done with the Vectra yet and neither is the mechanic.

·
Premium Member
13,630 Posts
If you do a full module presence check using Opcom/Vauxcom or Tech 2 do all modules show as Present, maybe the abs or steering pump modules are crashing the canbus system causing the issue you have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update, spoke to my next door neighbour who's mate is a mechanic and came round to look at the car. This is now the third mechanic who has looked at the car. This mechanic suggested it might be the crank shaft sensor as we have tried everything else now, so he will be replacing this sensor on Tuesday. I will let you know if this finally solves the issue.

I had lost all hope, but this suggestion does sound promising. Fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Crank sencor would through a fault code up on opcom tis or tech2 iirc 🤔

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Who coded the new ecu to the car?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Who coded the new ecu to the car?
Thanks for your reply. We didn't get a new ECU, we got the old one sent away for testing and it came back with no fault.

When the last guy plugged in the reader it just came back with replace ECU which is why it so confusing, and is also why this other mechanic suggested we should replace the crank shaft sensor just in case. In my mind that's worth a shot, since we have been through everything we can think off.

If it is the actual ECU after all this, as you know a new ECU will be hundreds to replace and simply isn't worth keeping the car after this point.

Could it be possible that older readers would miss out on codes like the crank sensor or am I just clutching at straws.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Sounds like its been well over spent as it is

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like its been well over spent as it is
Only stuck with the car because last year I had refurbished gear box fitted, it's only got about 3k on it, and the car was running like new.

Garage did say at the time may be you should think about selling the car, but I thought to myself I could get another 40k out of the engine as it's been looked after with regular oil changes. I should have taken that advice then, the money I have spent on the gearbox and now this could have gone towards another car.

Let you know how I get on.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Maybe be time to pull the ol thing apart and sell in parts? Your gearbox will sell well id imagin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts