Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. My car's temp raise to high degrees when the engine at load and driving at high speeds for long time same times it goes over 103c ,But when I come in traffic or normal driving situation in the city it didn't gose over 85c .btw Our weather temperature between 30-35c .
I had checked the thermostat but it was removed , and now I fitted a new one which opens at 74c . also i checked the coolant pump and it was good .

But i noticed that the timing belt was installed in wrong way but the car was working normally but the revs doesn't exceed 4500 rev/min , but now I've install it in a correct way and actually the engine sound changed to more smooth and rev now reaches to 7000 rev/min .

Also I found that the cooling fan was modified to operated at Full speed when temp reaches 80c. now i removed the full speed fuse to let the two fans operate at normal speed at temp of 80c, but nothing is changed .

-So whats might be the problem :unsure:, is it may caused by salts precipitated at coolant opening in the engine , Or maybe because of something goes wrong when the timing belt was not correctly fitted :(.

-----Sorry for elongation But this problem drive me crazy :mad: .

·
"Red One.."
2,873 Posts
To be honest temps up to and around 103degC aren't excessive at all if your ambient (outside) temp is as hot as it is (whereabouts do you live?!).

The cooling system is designed to allow temps up to 100deg, as because the system is pressurised this raises the boiling point of water and prevents it boiling at 100degC. I'd check the system for any excess pressure when squeezing the coolant hoses, and also have a feel round or check with an digital thermometer to check for any excessive hotspots or cool pipes - I take it the level isn't dropping/no leaks?

These X20XEV engines were common for camshaft sensor/connector problems, and that would cause either engine light on and/or restricted revs to 4500rpm - sounds very much like you've probably disturbed a poor contact to this sensor in sorting the timing belt - there was a modified sensor/connector/short wiring loom available as a fix. Note also, however that aside from markings/writing on the belt it wouldn't make any difference which way round the belt was fitted in terms of running.

Nick.

Reactions: kltam

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
To be honest temps up to and around 103degC aren't excessive at all if your ambient (outside) temp is as hot as it is (whereabouts do you live?!).

The cooling system is designed to allow temps up to 100deg, as because the system is pressurised this raises the boiling point of water and prevents it boiling at 100degC. I'd check the system for any excess pressure when squeezing the coolant hoses, and also have a feel round or check with an digital thermometer to check for any excessive hotspots or cool pipes - I take it the level isn't dropping/no leaks?

These X20XEV engines were common for camshaft sensor/connector problems, and that would cause either engine light on and/or restricted revs to 4500rpm - sounds very much like you've probably disturbed a poor contact to this sensor in sorting the timing belt - there was a modified sensor/connector/short wiring loom available as a fix. Note also, however that aside from markings/writing on the belt it wouldn't make any difference which way round the belt was fitted in terms of running.

Nick.
Thank you, I understand from u that temperature near 103degC aren't too much, cause my thermostat open fully at 74degC and fan thermoswitsh open at 79degC so the cooling system is working at max capacity and i think the engine will continue to heat up not to cool down. and i'm actually Afraid from continue driving at this temp, So i don't know if it will raise for more then that if i continue driving.
But when it get's above nearly 94degC i notice loss of little amount of coolant which i think it's may due to evaporation.
And for pipes i think they are all hot.
when i mentioned that the timing belt was fitted in wrong way, I was mean that the timing marks weren't aligned in the correct way. But Yes my camshaft sensor same times shows : "wrong signal error" which is an additional small issue:D.
So you advice me to ignore it and continue the driving ? and by the way What's the danger temp in our ambient temp (26c-sometimes reaches 40degC) which i should stop the engine when i reach it ?

·
"Red One.."
2,873 Posts
Well if it's reaching temps it's never gotten to before it would still be worthwhile checking through the system to ensure there aren't any faults. The opening of the thermostat and switching of the fan aren't going to affect the max running temp if the radiator is poor/blocked/inefficient.

The temp of 103degC isn't critical, however anything up and over 110-115 is going to be overheating. Like I say check over the system for faults/blockages/leaks - you'll struggle to bring the temp down with outside temperatures like that unless you fit a more efficient radiator that can cool the water at that temp more effectively.

Nick.

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
I would be uneasy if a vauxhall gauge hit 100. 90 is normal, 95 as an upper limit on the gauge.

I'd look at replacing thermostat, and temp sender as a precaution. Then maybe check the water pump

·
"Red One.."
2,873 Posts
I would be uneasy if a vauxhall gauge hit 100. 90 is normal, 95 as an upper limit on the gauge.

I'd look at replacing thermostat, and temp sender as a precaution. Then maybe check the water pump
Don't forget OP is living in an area where temps are up to 35deg - (wishful thinking for the UK.!).

Car doesn't sound like it's boiling over completely to suggest stuck shut thermostat or coolant pump not circulating correctly - think he's checked pump and replaced stat anyway. Under load whilst at speed can only really be the radiator's cooling efficiency, not how early or how much water is flowing through it.

Nick.

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
Strange it's low in town and high on the motorway though.

Even in hot weather, the thermostat should regulate as the incoming air is still relatively cool.

·
"Red One.."
2,873 Posts
Strange it's low in town and high on the motorway though.

Even in hot weather, the thermostat should regulate as the incoming air is still relatively cool.
True yes, it's almost the wrong way round in terms of the temp rising up. However once it is up to temperature, assuming that thermostat is working correctly, it will be fully open and allowing the coolant to circulate through the radiator, so the only thing regulating the maximum temp at that point when the car is moving is the efficiency of the radiator.

Nick.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So now it's most likely to be a radiator efficiency problem .hmm I remembered that the radiator was changed by the previous owner, so i don't know if it's actually for X20XEV or it maybe for any other lower capacity engines. And if it's the right radiator i'll try to fit a shroud to increase air passing through the radiator.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I personally wouldn't want my engine going anywhere near 100 degrees. My fan kicks in just below 90. It had a two speed fan but only ever worked on the high speed. It's X20xev

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check the cooling fan that is working good
I think that the 2nd speed doesnt work
The first speed works good
So that the temp. Is excellent in the town with traffics
The proplem is in highway
I faced this before
The 2nd speed doesn't work

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I faced this before
I had checked the fan and it was working at the two speeds, So I don't think it's the problem. But thanks anyway.

·
"Red One.."
2,873 Posts
I faced this before
Cooling fans have no bearing on temperature when at speed, as airflow is already flowing through the radiator. Fans are purely for stationary/slow speeds, to pull air through the rad.

Reactions: Mohamad omar
1 - 13 of 13 Posts