Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys new to this forum and hope someone can help.
I’ve got a 1.8L 16V Vectra B Estate, on a 2000 plate facelift model. It has a X18XE1 block has covered 80K and serviced regularly. I only use this car once or twice a month so no heavy use.

Last summer I drove from the Midlands to Devon and noticed the exhaust started blowing and by my return was blowing pretty badly. I changed the mid section (between the cat and back box) with what I was told was a quality after market section but it looked nothing like the original part, but was reassured by my local auto spares that this was fine.
However I’ve notice that since fitting the new section the car is very sluggish between 1200 – 1800 revs, and has no power pulling off, requiring me to floor the accelerator due to the lack of power. The car then started to die when pulling up at junctions. And has what feels like a slight misfire occasionally making the car jerky to drive for 6-7 seconds then its fine again. But anything over 2000k it drives like a dream no problems with power or jerky engine.

There are NO warning lights on the dash, no flashing EML or spanners to indicate a fault.

A mate who’s a mechanic told me to disconnect the battery as this would reset the ECU but that did nothing,
My dad who got the car from new told me he had the LAMBDA sensor changed at 55K and that it could be this again.
Someone else has told me that it could be the EGR valve and might need a clean.
All vacuum pipes and hose checked and appear to be fine.

The car flew through the MOT last week, no emissions problems.
Cam belt and tensioners/ Auxiliary belt and Cam sensor /water pump all renewed last week, but the problem still present and still NO warning lights.
Tried a pedal test but nothing to indicate fault stored in the ECU.

I’m heading to France in a few weeks time so really need to sort out this problem so any advice would be gratefully received.

·
Respect mah authoritah!
4,994 Posts
to me it does not sound like the exhasut. if it was most exhasut related issues would be higher up the range not low down, ie if there was a blockage, it would create to much back pressure high end as it could not get rid of the gases quick enough. to me it sounds fuel related. take the car for a run. get home remove the spark plugs, they will be hot, and check them, they should all look roughly the same. if any are wet then it maybe not burning the fuel. which could be coil pack or the leads.

i doubt it would be the egr as that just recirculates the exhaust gases.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Advised by someone to clean throttle housing, found the small pin hole blocked so gave it a good clean. Just took her out for and short run and seems to fine now. Fingers well and truly crossed that this was the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts