Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can any one help i have a s reg vectra with a auto box the problem is that first thing in morning the gears are a bit notchy and jumos into gear and the warning light comes on the dash when warm all runs ok with no lights on i have checked the oil level and all is ok spot on the mark
has anyone any ideas that may assist
cheers in advance

keith.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
am no expert - so take all this with a kilo or two of salt.....

it is normally a problem with the selector cable, and where it runs in at the top of the gearbox.... sometimes needs replaced, sometimes a good clean and think it can be tightened.... not sure. But there have been other threads on this sort of thing recently.... seems to be quite common occurence.

also - although the level of fluid in the gearbox may be okay - it still may have deteriorated and not be doing the job aswell as it should, might be worth getting it changed at same time.

·
Qualified lego bricklayer
9,180 Posts
Could hazzard a guess at a faulty selector switch, but as the light is flashing, get the fault code read out. That *should* confirm what the problem actually is.

·
VXON's mini owner
485 Posts
My mate has got an R reg 1.8 auto vectra and when the weather is cold ie below 5 degrees and the car is started from cold he gets the warning light and if i remember correctly it wont change into top however he cures it by switching the ignition of then on again then its fine, and its fine anyway once warmed up. He's looked into it and its the selector switch thats needed but he's happy to live with it (has done for last 50k miles and car now on 150k).

yours may be a similar thing?:Cool2:

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
robbie1380 said:
My mate has got an R reg 1.8 auto vectra and when the weather is cold ie below 5 degrees and the car is started from cold he gets the warning light and if i remember correctly it wont change into top however he cures it by switching the ignition of then on again then its fine, and its fine anyway once warmed up. He's looked into it and its the selector switch thats needed but he's happy to live with it (has done for last 50k miles and car now on 150k).

yours may be a similar thing?:Cool2:
yeah - this is the one - has been a spate of these threads/problems recently (no doubt cold snap/weather related) so it seems to be a common fault across all of the Vaux' fitted autoboxes.

My Cav doesnt have it and works first time whatever the weather - but the Vec experiences it occasionally when starting from cold in these wintry conditions - but once warm it's not an issue. Am going to get the selector sorted in the next few weeks - but until then can live with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts