Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine management light in my vectra 1.9 has come on and the car is in limp mode so I took it to a garage they want to replace the dpf but the quote seem expensive. Are there any alternatives routes I can try?

Katherine

Depending on what has led the garage to conclude the dpf needs replacing 馃 there may be other options, but without any other information it is impossible to advise in any meaningful way.
Do you do lots of short journeys?

Premium Member
As above

Usually a separate fault causes it to be blocked and then need replaced. Replacement is very last option.

Simply replacing will usually just block up again as it won鈥檛 regen itself properly to self clean.

Really should be deep cleaned and fault found.
That garage wants to do unnecessary work, find another garage.

Not perfect but it only became illegal to remove a dpf and remap for cars built after 2008. (Unless they changed the rules again)

Registered
Hi Kathrine. I have a 2010 Astra and I have been going into Limp mode a lot - DPF issues. It popped up on my dashboard telling me to self-clean it out and after reading the manel, it told me to take the car a 25 minute drive and keep the revs above 2500, better at low gears and high speeds. I did this and after 25 minutes a message came up saying something like "self-cleaned successful". I was going around 7-mph in 4th gear etc etc. I would suggest you try this as maybe the car just needs a good rev to clean it out. Another cause is the EGR Valve, got a 2nd hand one for mine and then you can just try the petrol/diesel cleaners, put it into the tank and take the car a good drive.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depending on what has led the garage to conclude the dpf needs replacing 馃 there may be other options, but without any other information it is impossible to advise in any meaningful way.
Do you do lots of short journeys?
I only really use the car for short 5 mile journeys to and from work

Hi Kathrine. I have a 2010 Astra and I have been going into Limp mode a lot - DPF issues. It popped up on my dashboard telling me to self-clean it out and after reading the manel, it told me to take the car a 25 minute drive and keep the revs above 2500, better at low gears and high speeds. I did this and after 25 minutes a message came up saying something like "self-cleaned successful". I was going around 7-mph in 4th gear etc etc. I would suggest you try this as maybe the car just needs a good rev to clean it out. Another cause is the EGR Valve, got a 2nd hand one for mine and then you can just try the petrol/diesel cleaners, put it into the tank and take the car a good drive.
Hi Kieran, I followed your instructions but didn't manage to get that message.

I've found this local company to me that offers dpf cleaning, do you think it's worth trying that?

Many thanks, Kathrine

A DPF equipped diesel is totally unsuitable for the type of use you are putting it to. Even if you get it cleaned you will just have the problem over and over again because the car is never getting the opportunity to regenerate.

Reactions: Alan G H
1 - 6 of 6 Posts