Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I recently bought a 2007 vauxhall vectra design 1.8 petrol.
The battery was knackered taking no charge at all. I charged up a battery i had from a 1.6 petrol focus and put it in. The flickering stopped but the electrics kept dimming slightly but very noticable at night. It seems to get worse if i dont drive car much or for a long distance.
Halfords tested battery and said it need replacing. But i went somewhere else and put a new battery in and lights still dimming so i did not buy battery.

It does seem like a battery problem. But im not sure if it could be alternator issue (altough i disconnected battery while car running and car did not stop) or maybe a bad earth.

Also, it happens mainly when turning steering wheel left to right real fast.

Any help would with this would be great!
Thanks
John

·
Registered
Tigra Twintop 1.8 AT Z18XE AF17
730 Posts
You already fried some modules by disconnecting the battery while running.

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
You should never disconnect the battery with the engine running on any car fitted with an alternator, let alone all the electronic modules fitted on a modern vehicle.
If you are very lucky, you may have got away with it, but don't do it again.
The first thing to do is check all the battery connections, all the live connections to the starter and loom, and all the earth connections you can find. Make sure they are all clean, and tight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should never disconnect the battery with the engine running on any car fitted with an alternator, let alone all the electronic modules fitted on a modern vehicle.
If you are very lucky, you may have got away with it, but don't do it again.
The first thing to do is check all the battery connections, all the live connections to the starter and loom, and all the earth connections you can find. Make sure they are all clean, and tight.
Thanks for the advice. It was a small battery shop who took leads off saying that is how to check alternator 🙈 but atleast i know now for future reference.

All live and negative cables near battery are strong. There is a slight bit of corrision on the negative battery terminal where it connects the to car frame (not much).

I have not got under the car yet to check the connections to the alternator (will update when i do).

With the problem getting better after the car running for a long time / long drive.... would this not rule out a bad connection to the alternator? And maybe an indication of a failing alternator instead?

Hope I am making sense!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You already fried some modules by disconnecting the battery while running.
Can you tell me what i need to replace please? Im guessing the alternator?

But, i really dont want to spend money on any parts that i do not need.

Any help would be great!
Cheers

·
Registered
Tigra Twintop 1.8 AT Z18XE AF17
730 Posts
Parts replacement and repairs have to be done based on the vehicle diagnostic. I can tell you the sea and the sky its all speculation.

·
16,456 Posts
Packaging and labeling Box Carton Plastic Liquid

1 - 8 of 8 Posts