Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Have a 2007 Vectra that has developed an issue after even short journeys the temp gauage goes into the red and since this has started the cooling fan now constantly runs even after starting the car after a week of no use. Had to jump start it as the fan has flattened the battery. No coolant loss there is movement in the expansion tank so presumably it’s circulating ? Is it likely to be a faulty sensor and is that why the fan runs permanently? Thanks !

·
Worn Out Member
8,599 Posts
Any fault codes ?

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts
Is the engine actually getting too hot, or is it just the gauge reading wrong?
Can you hold your hand on the top hose when the gauge is showing hot (be careful not to burn your hand trying this)?
If the engine is getting very hot but the hoses & radiator are not, then it could be the thermostat stuck closed.
I suspect you are probably right about it being a sensor problem, but you need to do some more diagnosis.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check by replacement, the Coolant sensor, near the Heater hoses - back of Thermostat housing - don't lose the clip!
It does not create a code usually!

·
Worn Out Member
8,599 Posts
Unfortunately the o/p hasn't bothered to post back and so far we don't know which 1.8 engine is in the car,but fan stuck on if the engine is an XER is often down to the stat heater going open circuit and that will leave a code

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately the o/p hasn't bothered to post back and so far we don't know which 1.8 engine is in the car,but fan stuck on if the engine is an XER is often down to the stat heater going open circuit and that will leave a code
a 2007 1.8, is bound to be a VVT I would think. That Brassy looking sensor, is often the guilty party. I know someone, who changed both the O2 sensors, the Crank & Cam sensors, the stat - & all it was, was the £12 Brassy pest. (As usual)
Yes, it would be nice if OPs did come back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts