Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a vectra 1.6 16v 1996 p reg automatic. it is cutting out at random. 1 day it will be fine and the next it might cut out 2 or 3 times. when it cuts out it starts up again fine. the engine management light does not light up when engine is running and there are no fault codes showing. its really dangerous as when it cut out last time i was turning a corner and powersteering went on me. it runs fine and there is no idle problem as it idles lovely. could it be the cam sensor?? i thought it could be this but am unsure as there is no engine management light on. can anybody help?

·
97% Mechanic
6,644 Posts
me mum had an Astra that done that, it was a 2.0 16v tho, found the Idle Air control valve to be sticking, cleaned it out with carb cleaner and it was good as new

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ive got the same problem mate, although mine doesnt cut out. Ive found out the solution is 2 clean out the icv, throttle body and the breather body. Gonna get a mechanic mate of mine to do this for me.

Nath

·
CavalierCrazy.co.uk
783 Posts
I have the same problem with mine - it's something to do with a breather pipe i think under the throttle body - i took off the icv and cleaned that and it got worse so at present my brother has it at work (Mechanic) and he is trying to fix it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I,ve had my egr valve cleaned out. My car doesn't cut out but it struggles to idle at times and when i set off there is a lack of power then it all comes at once. Im sure its to do with the ICV, throttle body and breather.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
right well i took all the throttle body apart and cleaned it out and cleaned the idle control valve and replaced all gaskets to make sure there would be no air escaping and cleaned out the hose below the throttle body which looked a bit blocked, put it all back together and so far so good. its been 2 days and it hasnt cut out yet! ill keep everyone posted. cheers for everyones help

R

·
0 Posts
my mates seirra did it S""t me up cos he couldnt handle it when steering went, turn`d out 2 be idle control valve,, also i had a orion that did it never had 2 many elecs so i just turnd revs up a bit and it was reet from there

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
problem sorted. it was the idle control valve and breather pipes going to throttle body. cleaned it all out with carb cleaner and its sorted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts